Print Thread
#5330 Tue Mar 11 2003 03:53 PM
C
cymru Offline OP
OP Offline
C
OK. Here it goes...

Can of Worms No. 1

Do you think ExxonMobil would sue over the use of this sign? Take in mind that this sign will be in a suburb just outside of the city of Dallas, and in Dallas, you can see variations of the Mobil Pegasus logo used by many companies and organizations.

Can of Worms No. 2

This sign is going to be put out front of an actual 1940's era Mobil gas station in the city of Duncanville. Duncanville has really strict sign policies, which would in turn make it nearly impossible to put effective signage on the building. Do you think I could get the sign posted on the merit of historical significance?

Any and all advice would be helpful.

Also... how big do you think the sign should be.. I've been looking at some old signs and they vary in size. I'm thinking it could go to 6' x 6'.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#5331 Tue Mar 11 2003 03:54 PM
C
cymru Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here's a picture of the sign design:

#5332 Tue Mar 11 2003 04:00 PM
C
cymru Offline OP
OP Offline
C

#5333 Tue Mar 11 2003 06:22 PM
Online Cool
You should have an attorney that specializes in Intellectual Properties look at your situation. Since the company that has the rights to the Pegasus logo is still very much in business, you could be asking for legal problems. I doubt that changing the color will clear you of any problems.

Would they actually go after you? That is hard to say, but if they do, it could get expensive.

The idea of a retro style sign may satisfy the historical folks. Why not look at styling it like the logo of an oil company that has been out of business for a long time?

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#5334 Tue Mar 11 2003 07:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PUT SOME ROAD APPLES ON THE SIGN, RIGHT UNDER THE BACK PART OF THE HORSE THING, THAT WILL CHANGE IT ENOUGH TO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS..

#5335 Tue Mar 11 2003 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL Frankie - I always wanted to start a car club called the Road Apples.

Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#5336 Tue Mar 11 2003 08:12 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
You might want to contact Butch Greer, hes not home right now hes in Bakersfirld , then hes going to Phoenix for a bash then home ,
mobilman@brightok.net the reason i mention Butch hes got the pegasus on everything , trialer, hats , shirts , under pants???? I think it would be a form of advertising for them ,you can email him now I think he has a lap top, tell him Dwaine sent you ha ,

#5337 Tue Mar 11 2003 08:26 PM
H
H
As a holder of a license to reproduce items from Mobil oil, I know that they do enforce trademark violations. They have kept their trademarks active for not only their logos, but also those of the companies that they have taken over or merged with over the years..i.e, General Petroleum, White Eagle, Gilmore, White Star, etc. Considering the expense you will have with the sign, I think OLDGAS' advice is good...See an attorney. Sounds like a neat project..Good luck!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved