Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tokheim Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
When my wife saw this sign she said "Is THAT what you thought you were going to put in the basement?? I said yes and I thought she was going to cry. I told here it was 5'5" dia. before I bought it, and showed her the wall it would go on, but I think she expected it to match one of my "Good Gulf" pump signs.

After many hours of cleaning off rust and paint from sign and original ring, then repainting the ring, it looks pretty good in my opinion. My wife says it looks much better.

Now I'm trying to decide how to hang/mount the thing. Seems in it's day it would have been supported top and bottom by horizontal pipes and conduit type straps. Not sure. Unfortunately there is a light switch for the pool table behind it ... but I can reach in from the left and get to it the way it is now, which is sitting on old barn beam pieces, leaning against the wall with a rope going up to keep it from falling over and maiming the children.

Any comments or suggestions???

Thanks for posting the pic with yours, Doc!

[This message has been edited by tokheim (edited 07-15-2004).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

TOKHEIM...I HAVE THE SAME SIGN AS YOUR ABOVE, BUT AM WONDERING WHAT THOSE LEGS ARE AT THE TOP AND BOTTOM? ARE THEY PART OF THE
FRAME/RING AND CAN THEY BE REMOVED? THIS WAY YOU COULD USE WALL ANCHORS IN YOUR SHEETROCK.
CAN YOU MOVE THE SWITCH? I HATE IT TOO WHEN YOU HAVE THE PERFECT PLACE TO HANG SOMETHING AND A !%$#&!!** SWITCH IS IN THE WAY....MORE WORK! LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DO.

DOC @ TAG/WEST
drcoke@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 07-15-2004).]

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can pretend it is a giant switch cover. The only problem is that you would have to cut a hole in your sign for the switch. HA HA. ~Jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
delete

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
tokheim,

You can use a wireless 110 Volt ac switch. Try your local Radio Shack or do a internet search on X-10 wireless devices or click link below........Hope this helps.....Aaron
http://www.smarthome.com/x10map.html

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Leave the switch in the ON position and put a PULL chain switch on the light. Glue your chalk block to end of chain [replace as needed]. No more looking for the #$%^ chalk [in the pocket, on the floor, did the baby or dog get it?].
Dick

Tokheim Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well these are fine suggestions, and yes, playing pool in the dark does hone the skills...not unlike young blindfolded Luke and his light saber!

I am pleased to hear it could hold a place in the very impressive "Bettin" collection.

Some resemblance to the original pipe mounting like Docs pic would be pretty cool, I think. HEAVY as you know...and sitting on the floor does not look right, has to be up some.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GOOD IDEA, DICK....ONLY ONE BETTER THAN LEAVING THE SWITCH IN THE UP POSITION.....WOULD BE TO ELIMINATE THE SWITCH BY WIRING IT DIRECTLY TO THE LIGHT AND PUTTING A FLUSH BLANK WALL COVER PLATE OVER THE BOX WHERE THE SWITCH WAS....THEN DO AS DICK SUGGESTED WITH THE PULL CHAIN ON THE LIGHT.
OR ANOTHER IDEA WOULD BE TO STILL REMOVE THE FRAME AND DO THE ANCHOR BOLTS THRU THE SHEETROCK, BUT INSTEAD OF REMOVING THE SWITCH ON THE WALL....MAKE SPACERS FOR THE HEIGHT OF THE SWITCH AND PLACE THEM BETWEEN THE SIGN AND THE WALL ALLOWING THE SWITCH TO STILL OPERATE. DRILL A SMALL HOLE IN THE TIP OF THE EXPOSED SWITCH HANDLE SIDE TO SIDE AND FASTEN A LONG PIECE OF RIGID WIRE THRU THE HOLE GOOD. LET IT HANG DOWN FAR ENOUGH PAST THE BOTTOM (OR TOP)
OF THE SIGN SO THAT WAY YOU CAN STILL OPERATE THE SWITCH MERELY BY PUSHING IT UP FOR "ON" OR PULLING IT DOWN FOR "OFF!"
IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING I WOULD DO...LOL!!!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
drcoke@optonline.net

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Tokheim, You can replace the wall switch with an X-10 switch and then control the light with a remote control. Go to WWW.X-10.com and click on automation. You can buy everthing you need for about $39.00. I hooked up a complete X-10 system to my fillin station and control the gas pumps,air meter,island lights and phone booth all by remote control.
They also have a PC program you can load and set up programs to turn on/off lights on a schedule.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Tokheim,
Check out the bracket I made for my sign. Do a search on oldgas, search under user "Rust Collector", Showcase and Stories, What I found while at work. There is a photo of the sign hanging on the wall. Send me an e-mail and I will send you a sketch of the bracket.
Ed

[This message has been edited by Rust Collector (edited 07-17-2004).]

Tokheim Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Rust Collector,
Wow... GREAT Shell sign, story, bracket, wife, etc in that post. That looks like what I had in mind for hanging. Sending you contact info. I see you had a similar miss-understanding about the size of a road sign.
Thanks!!

~Tokeim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved