Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hey all,
Just wanted to see what people thought about possibly having another show in Southern California. I've spoken with a few collectors & dealers here in my area, (Claremont, CA) and they have come by my workshop and every single one has said that I could put on a great show in my parking lot & workspace. The area is about the size of two football fields, with tons of parking, beautiful view of the mountains, easy access to 10 & 210 freeways, near Ontario airport, as well as having 5 major hotels within 5 miles.

What I would really like is to of course, have a show, but to bring in a new group of collectors & enthusiasts who don't know as much about the hobby, but are interested, but are maybe a little intimidated showing up to one of the bigger shows. My goal would be to bring in more perspective buyers and new collectors and have a lot of the older group share their knowledge and be a little more friendly about the hobby, because lets face it, thats the only way to keep the hobby alive.

I am speaking from personal experience about my first times at shows. They were very intimidating and I was not as knowledgable as I am now, so of course I was a little scared.

So I just wanted to test the waters and see what people thought, I think it could be really fun, and I know a ton of people who have never attended a show, but would love to. I want to keep it fun, keep the booth space reasonable, and bring some new friends into the hobby. I hope to hear some of your guys opinions and thoughts, I think it could be another great meet up during the year for all of us in the hobby.

John.

Heres a few pics of my space & parking lot.

HI FIVE!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
my suggestions would be to have everything WELL documented online... regarding every detail for both vendors and visitors.

i know my complaint with all the shows is that there is always something 'hidden' about each show. whether its the parking lot trade time prior to start, the early-bird fees, the vendor setup details, the 'actual' start time... etc etc. Also a way for people to know what to expect, clear timelines and expectations.

I would also love to see a show that requires the vendors to put a price on all items. IMO, if you are vendor, there should be a price listed and people shouldnt have to ask. If you are too lazy to tag your items, then dont setup.

just my 2 cents... ill probably think of more later

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: BryceG
my suggestions would be to have everything WELL documented online... regarding every detail for both vendors and visitors.

i know my complaint with all the shows is that there is always something 'hidden' about each show. whether its the parking lot trade time prior to start, the early-bird fees, the vendor setup details, the 'actual' start time... etc etc. Also a way for people to know what to expect, clear timelines and expectations.

I would also love to see a show that requires the vendors to put a price on all items. IMO, if you are vendor, there should be a price listed and people shouldnt have to ask. If you are too lazy to tag your items, then dont setup.

just my 2 cents... ill probably think of more later

All very valid ideas, and I like them all! Thanks Bryce!

HI FIVE!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think it's a great idea... just wondering since you're in a complex if there could be any conflicts with neighbors...

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Spoke with all of them and got the OK, as long as it was on a Saturday.

HI FIVE!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That's great. I think So Cal could use another small petro show. I'd certainly like to attend

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it fills a niche, that's one thing, but as a whole the hobby has way too many shows. If there were 4 major shows during the year, they would all be well attended and would be larger than ever. The Midwest seems inundated with them, and I have already talked with collectors that have "show burnout".
I don't know the answer, but I think that more shows do more harm than good? Sometimes--"Less Is More"!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
John, I sorta like the idea but not sure you will get the support you need. A guy tried doing a show up here in Solvang a few years ago and the "usual suspects" all showed up but no one else and it fell apart the next year.
Roy Reed had at one time decided not to have his show any longer but that changed. You might want to talk to Roy and see just what his plans are
Ray

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Except for a few Old Farts, Most cannot take 7-10 days away from family to attend 4 widely scattered major shows Kevin.
CTO in June in Ohio & Iowa Gas in August, but more regional ones will account for more participation than the 2 major ones combined.

Since I retired, I don't have the disposable income I use to have when working a full time job.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
If it fills a niche, that's one thing, but as a whole the hobby has way too many shows. If there were 4 major shows during the year, they would all be well attended and would be larger than ever. The Midwest seems inundated with them, and I have already talked with collectors that have "show burnout".
I don't know the answer, but I think that more shows do more harm than good? Sometimes--"Less Is More"!

I would have to totally disagree with this this statement.. Many of the smaller shows are made up of dealers that do not attend the larger shows.. with out the smaller venues most dealers and buyers would not get to experience the show environment first hand. When we stated our show it was for pretty selfish reasons. We wanted a show that was close to home and could help some of our local vendors and collectors to have a smaller venue to buy and sell. We were tired of 8-16 hr drives to find stuff, why not bring it to us? This year was our 18th year and the show continues to grow each year, in dealers and shoppers.. If you can bring in good vendors with quality merchandise you WILL succeed!! Good luck John!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In general,I think it's a good idea & applaud your enthusiasm & purpose.
I'd fly in to attend,but only if it really starts when it's advertised,and not days before.
Nothing worse then traveling a long distance & arriving at a show,only to hear they actually allowed sellers & buyers to sell & buy days prior.
Fool me once..

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I was just having this same conversation with another vendor. Although there is excitement in doing a show, there are only so many vendors out there who will come. Travel costs and time away, from what ever they do to keep the lights on, will keep some away. Look around the country and as stated above....there are too many shows now. I used to do six a year as far away as Arizona. Now I've cut back to four and they are all within 8 hours from here. It becomes too tiring to be exciting for those of us who are seriously into the hobby. Consider long and hard before jumping off. Just because you have ample space, does not a show make. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Thu May 22 2014 03:43 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I think there are plentiful amounts of non-old gas enthusiasts that would live to attend shows as buyers. So far I've counted 20+ hardcore dealers & collectors that say they would vend & attend. Like I said before, I'd like it to be more about the fun of getting together & flapping gums and sharing knowledge and stories than turning a profit. I'm a furniture maker by trade and I have at least 10 people a week come by and ask me how I get all these signs and neat trinkets....these people are not collectors, they are just looking for something cool, original, USA made and authentic for their house, and believe me, they've got money. I recently sold my keyhole frontier sign to a lady in Hollywood hills who wanted to put it by her pool house. She did not know or care how rare the sign was, she just liked it. And it wasn't a beater decoration piece, it was an 8+! Now picture me putting 40 or 50 of those type of people in a setting and they get to go around and browse & purchase your sweet stuff you bring out to the show. That's my theory behind doing a show, bringing in a whole new group of enthusiasts to learn and admire the fine art of petroliana, and begin a collection of there own.

HI FIVE!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
there's one way too find out... cool

RANDY
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I admire anyone who wants to take a stab at adding a show to the circuit. I agree with gmstuff completely. Sometimes it doesn't have to be a giant show to be a good one, Oil City proved that for many years. Its like a good rock band, if you can gain some "Stay Power" people are gonna show up. Count me in, I'll buy a plane ticket. Also, different regions/states offer a good variety of their brands of gasoline that was sold there. Example: I can't find any Gilmore, Wilshire, or Signal items in Ohio. But if I went to a show in California, surely I would see or find something? If collectors in California needed any Sohio, Freedom, or Gulf items it would work the same way.

Goober

Last edited by Goober's Station; Thu May 22 2014 05:18 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved