Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick, the thread is about stopping an Auction early!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Title of the thread is: "E-Bay Auctions Ending Early, Signs"

Here is a direct quote from Ed: "They weren't on the listing for 48 hours and now all 4 are no longer available. WOW, imagine that! I am really sick and tired of the good stuff never lasting till the end of the auction before someone calls the seller and cuts a deal."

Ed, made no mention of any transactions taking place off of Ebay... Because Ed has no idea, if a deal was made for the signs... On or off Ebay... He wasn't part of the negotiations for the signs... So he commented on what he actually knew happened...

I addressed the actual topic... Stopping an Auction early... AND THAT IS NOT AGAINST EBAY RULES....

When, I contact a Seller and make them an offer; I personally ask that the Seller do it as a BIN... That is what I stated for the last 5+ years that this subject has come up... And some Members called me out and said, I was breaking Ebay Rules and that I am not ethical, in their opinion...

That is what I asked the Ebay Rep... And THAT IS NOT AGAINST THE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to me being ethical, I don't give a damn what anyone else believes...

I have been constant in what I have posted, from my first post... I don't judge, because I don't have the knowledge, life experiences nor power, to do so... I will leave that to others...

But, what I have done; Is, I have stayed true to the question...

Last edited by Watchdog7; Sat Jun 07 2014 12:44 PM. Reason: To Remove Religious Statement; Per oldgas Rules.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
W
W
It's OK to disagree, but leave the personal attacks out.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Bob: I think we are mixing the issues. I believe you can ask a seller to change the auction to a BIN and even have you as the only bidder and ebay gets its fees. If I am reading the original thread correctly...if you just ask the seller to sell it to you outside of eBay, that is outside the rules. But, there are lots of bigger issues in the world to solve. Happy Saturday all.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Alex, please show me ANYWHERE in Ed's post where he said anything about a deal outside of Ebay?

In fact here is the initial post from Ed: "I just wanted to vent on this. I know it has been mentioned before. An E-Bayer just listed 4, 6 foot signs on e-bay. They had been refurbished on 1 side and I was interested in bidding on 2 of them. They weren't on the listing for 48 hours and now all 4 are no longer available. WOW, imagine that! I am really sick and tired of the good stuff never lasting till the end of the auction before someone calls the seller and cuts a deal. I don't play that way, can't E-bay do something to stop this? Whew, I feel better.
grin Ed Steagall."

NO WHERE did Ed say that a deal was done outside of Ebay...

I'm not "mixing issues"... Others added the subject of stopping an auction to sell an item outside of Ebay...

From where I sit, I am the only one who is actually addressing the subject ED brought up....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
shocked Well, Is Everybody Happy? Like the old voice on the radio would say. I guess I should maybe add a little more clarification on a couple points. I have approached an E-Bay seller before an auction was over TO ADD A BUY-IT-NOW PRICE. They edited the listing and the deal was completed through proper E-Bay channels, AND the item will show up under Completed Items with the info. These signs, 4 different listings, all posted within minutes of each other, all disappeared at the same time and there is no trace of them ever being listed, i.e. under completed sales if the proper Buy-it-Now was added. This leads me to believe the items were pulled and sold outside proper rules. If you bid early, that will only raise the final price, if it even meets reserve. I think most bidders will be in the Watching Category and will jump at the last moment. If it doesn't meet reserve, THEN I would feel legitimate to contact the seller and ask what it would take to buy the item. You will also be in a better position as a Buyer because the item did not reach as much as the seller thought it was worth. Thank you all for not getting nasty or belligerent, just SPIRITED !!
Ed Steagall grin

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think I am reading this right. If a seller has an item as a regular ebay auction you can ask them to change the listing as a BIN. That is considered buying an item "inside" of eBay. If the seller has an item as a regular auction and you contact the seller and offer him a price and he takes it. That is considered buying "outside" of eBay. I believe that is what the complaint is about.

Alex
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think that's exactly it Alex, the (my) complaint was never a request for a buy it now price...that's apparently on the up & up (although I would rather it didn't happen either LOL). Those will show up as "sold" and or "completed listing" with price included for everyone to see etc. It's the listings that mysteriously disappear that are labeled "item no longer available" that are in question, that's the "shady" part I don't and I think others don't like.

Pete
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
If you were watching an item and waiting to bid on it, I'm thinking you would be disappointed/frustrated if it were sold before the auction ran its course regardless of it was through an agreed BIN or sold outside of eBay.

I'm reading that the gist of the frustration in the OP is that you didn't get your chance, and I agree it's frustrating. I think it makes it easier to complain if they broke eBay's rules, but that's a different argument.

BTW, now that it's cleared up that it is ok to contact a seller to stop an auction if you do it under a BIN, the peace of mind for a buyer to go through the eBay channels is worth it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Damn, does this mean, I am ethical, now?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Ed Steagall
mad I just wanted to vent on this.

Interesting four pages of reading; Ed I feel your pain!

Working a deal with a fellow collector to go in together to buy these signs.....about 12 hours into the auction the listing had ended "poof"

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221440573665?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_697wt_1171

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
OK, this one is a special case, I believe!

In this case, eBay got their share (closed at 9,500), right?

Hen

Last edited by henlovestoys; Sun Jun 08 2014 09:50 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: henlovestoys
OK, this one is a special case, I believe!

In this case, eBay got their share (closed at 9,500), right?

Hen

No, it appears to me that the listing had 2 bids up to $3,550.00, then auction was pulled by the seller. "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

Last edited by Chevrolet SS; Sun Jun 08 2014 09:55 AM.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
So, why does the page show:

Price:US $9,500.00

How does it work?

Thanks,

Hen

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: henlovestoys
So, why does the page show:

Price:US $9,500.00

How does it work?

Thanks,

Hen

I wonder if that wast he buy it now price? But if they had hit the BIN, it would not say item is no longer available. So, this, I think is alnother example of where people think they are going to be able to bid on an item and, oops..sorry. I think this is gong to lead to more of this and in the long run will hurt eBay as people will get frustrated and stop coming here or perpetuate more off ebay sales.

Last edited by Alex; Sun Jun 08 2014 10:08 AM.

Alex
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved