Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#540486 Fri Jun 06 2014 02:48 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
mad I just wanted to vent on this. I know it has been mentioned before. An E-Bayer just listed 4, 6 foot signs on e-bay. They had been refurbished on 1 side and I was interested in bidding on 2 of them. They weren't on the listing for 48 hours and now all 4 are no longer available. WOW, imagine that! I am really sick and tired of the good stuff never lasting till the end of the auction before someone calls the seller and cuts a deal. I don't play that way, can't E-bay do something to stop this? Whew, I feel better.
grin Ed Steagall.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Well this can be a double edged sword because on one hand if it stays the course the price might be so high that you don't want it. The other side of the scenario is that you can maybe deal direct with the seller and get what you want for a price that is fair for both.

I have purchased several pumps that if I didn't go that path then I would have lost out to someone that did. In that respect it is still a fair playing field. IMO.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: SKomatinsky
I have purchased several pumps that if I didn't go that path then I would have lost out to someone that did. In that respect it is still a fair playing field. IMO.

I agree. If you don't contact the person, someone else will. There was a Tokheim clock face on eBay and it didn't make it until the end. I hope someone got a good deal. It reminds me of Des Moines last year, if you pass on it the first time, don't expect it to be there the next time you walk by.

......John
fanfan75601@yahoo.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ed, I have always figured that until I actually owned an item... Then I don't have a say, in how the actual Owner conducts his business...

If I want an item, I contact the Seller and make an offer... Sometimes, the Owner will accept my offer... Sometimes, they turn down my offer, immediately... And other times, they politely say that the auction will go to completion...

When the auction has gone to completion, sometimes (too often) I lose... Other times, I get the item for less (sometimes a lot less) than my initial offer..

Maybe, I am in the minority with my belief that I should not/do not have a say in how others sell THEIR OWN ITEMS?...

But I can honestly say, that I don't like the idea that someone else can either determine or try to determine how I sell my items!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
No what really ***** me off regardless of the sale mechanism is when someone confirms to a seller that the deal is done and then changes their mind when a better offer comes in shortly after.

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
confused Good points. If you list an item, I feel you are entering into a deal with E-bay to have the item available for sale within the auction exclusively for the time period stated. OR: then list it with a Buy-it-Now or Best Offer Price. THEN, I feel you could sell it early. These signs did not have either. They hadn't even met reserve.
Ed.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Ed Steagall
confused Good points. If you list an item, I feel you are entering into a deal with E-bay to have the item available for sale within the auction exclusively for the time period stated. OR: then list it with a Buy-it-Now or Best Offer Price. THEN, I feel you could sell it early. These signs did not have either. They hadn't even met reserve.
Ed.

ED,
You are 100% correct !! something to be said for ethics and honesty in todays world !! I made this same exact point before and got blasted as a "cry baby" but I don't care, It's BS and I call BS when I see it !

Pete
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Use the "contact the seller" button. It works wonders. Now days you don't wait. You always have to stay one button in front on the next guy. Blame Obama and smart phones!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 63shelby

ED,
You are 100% correct !! something to be said for ethics and honesty in todays world !! I made this same exact point before and got blasted as a "cry baby" but I don't care, It's BS and I call BS when I see it !

Believe me, you are not alone and I do believe the majority agrees with you.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ETHICS of ebay & ebay sellers?
WE can only Dream.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick, Pete and Ed... How can anyone determine what is "honest and ethical", for other individuals????

None of us have lived each others lives. None of us have the same life experiences. As such, all any of us can do is determine what is "honest and ethical"; for our Selves....

None of us have the knowledge, power or experiences to determine how others should think and/or act.... Those traits are individual to each Person...

Personally, I contact Sellers on items I want... To me that is honest and ethical....

If it isn't to you, then don't do it. Seems simple enough to me...

I have no idea "if a majority" agrees with me or not... And as Rhett Butler put it so eloquently; "Frankly My Dear, I don't give a damn"!

I will do as my conscience dictates. No more, No less....

And at the end of the day, that is all that matters!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Originally Posted By: 63shelby

ED,

Believe me, you are not alone and I do believe the majority agrees with you.

I'm with you guys on this one.

Call it a conscience or whatever you like. But, we instinctively know what is right and wrong. When we get a gut feeling telling us we are doing something wrong or we question ourselves. Then chances are we are not operating at our best.

Just because others are doing it...isn't a reason for me to do it. Dropping to someone else's level is not the answer for me. I've never been a follower.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Look at it this way:
If you feel the seller is unethical, would you have wanted to do business with them?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Rick, Pete and Ed... How can anyone determine what is "honest and ethical", for other individuals????

None of us have lived each others lives. None of us have the same life experiences. As such, all any of us can do is determine what is "honest and ethical"; for our Selves....

None of us have the knowledge, power or experiences to determine how others should think and/or act.... Those traits are individual to each Person...

Personally, I contact Sellers on items I want... To me that is honest and ethical....

If it isn't to you, then don't do it. Seems simple enough to me...

I have no idea "if a majority" agrees with me or not... And as Rhett Butler put it so eloquently; "Frankly My Dear, I don't give a damn"!

I will do as my conscience dictates. No more, No less....

And at the end of the day, that is all that matters!

Because being Honest and having Integrity is right and true for all men under God ! period !, there is no "my perception of honesty and ethics for myself" based on my life's circumstances, that's just a joke ! Ethics, Honesty, Truth are carved in stone (LITERALLY) and cannot be twisted or bent to fit your personal wants, needs or desires. Some have it and get it...others obviously do not.

Last edited by Watchdog7; Fri Jun 06 2014 06:54 PM. Reason: fix quot to e]

Pete
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i know this is a complex topic, but after thinking on it awhile, i really cant fault a seller for making a deal outside of ebay. lets face it, as many times as we see this complaint, we see an equal number of after the sale chargebacks thru paypal by dishonest buyers.most of the time, the seller loses the item & the funds. ebay sets the rules to the buyers advantage, which probably means no money out of ebay's coffer. if a buyer makes a deal outside the loop, they have a little control over the deal where with ebay, its the luck of the draw. when ebay levels the playing field & rules with honesty & integrity as the middleman, then i'll reconsider my position on the topic...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved