Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone: I love these "philosophical discussions." LOL. I agree with Dave that most people know the difference between right and wrong... some people just don't care. Bob: I respectfully disagree with you that I think people can make a determination of right and wrong about people and situations. Now you and I have disagreed on some issues but think you are a stand up guy.

I, too, have contacted Sellers on eBay and have made offers. So I am not a hypocrite here...But, I believe that ebay set up the Buy It Now and Make An Offer to help deal with those issues. The intent of the auction format is to run for X number of days. By ending it early the seller is not honoring the intent of the system and is denying eBay its rightful fees. Now some may not care but that's part of the dilemma. One of the issues with ethics is people have will rationalize what they do and feel good about it. And it is easy to rationalize.

Before working in Human Resources for my company I was a trainer. I taught a variety of classes from supervisory skills to policies, etc. One of the courses I taught was Ethics. I don't say I am an expert, but well versed. LOL

I would start the class by asking how many people thought they needed to be there. No one would raise their hand. Then I ask, "How many of you feel you are honest and ethical?" Everyone would raise their hand. Then I would tell them that if they can pass the next test they wold be excused. I say, "Think of your grandma or a favorite aunt that maybe spoiled you a little when you were young. Made your favorite cookies, etc. Got that person in your mind? OK...how many of you would outright lie to that person." No one raised their hand.

Then I start. "You come home from work and it has been a lousy week. Work has been a mess, you got a speeding ticket and its cold, rainy and miserable. As you come up on the porch you see a package left by UPS. You pick it up and recognize the return address of your sweet, dear old grandma. You go inside and anxiously open the package and hope it is a box of her delicious chocolate chip cookies....

When you open it up, it is a handmade sweater that your dear old grandma knitted with her two arthritic hands that the note inside said took her four months to make, but you are worth it. And you know grandma is on a tight budget and spent what little money she has to make you a sweater. Now this sweater is also so ugly that the dog wouldn't even lie on it...and to top it off, it fits you perfectly. Just as you are 'admiring' the sweater the phone rings and it is grandma and she says, 'Hi honey, how do you like the sweater.' So, the question is, do you lie to grandma or tell her the truth?"

At this point people will say they would tell grandma that they "appreciate it" that are "glad she sent it," etc. And I push back on then and say, "That's not what grandma asked. She asked, 'Do you like the sweater?'" People then say they would lie to grandma to "save her feelings." I then ask, "Whose feelings are you saving? Her's or yours? After some more discussion I then ask the class, "How many of you would lie to your grandma to save her feelings? everybody raises their hand. Then I say, "If you are willing to lie to a women you love, what are you willing to do to each other or a total stranger?" So no one is excused from class and i would go on to teach the class....LOL.

Sorry for the long story (not really..) but when it comes down to ethics it usually comes to a rationalization and we usually will kid ourselves to justify what we want. There are many opportunities to be unethical..choose wisely....Anyway, thanks for letting me pontificate....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Geez, now we can't even TRUST Alex!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Geez, now we can't even TRUST Alex!

Now that made me LOL.......Good one.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Ethics of ebay sellers. Is there such a thing. I was back and forth on a item talking with seller this morning as I had made a offer. I figured we would come up with a price we both would be happy with. I only do this on overpriced items that have make offer in listing. In a matter of minutes on the forth email seller sent offer excepted through or store and it was no longer for sale.

Lesson learned -- but I'm not sure what it was!!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seller Probably couldn't explain it Either Loyd!
Beyond his Comprehension!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unethical? The seller broke no contract and paid listing fees. As usual, its people that didn't get a deal that complains.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Ebay allows the auction to be ended for several reasons!
Wine all you want about this EVERY time it is brought up, BUT UNTIL EBAY STOPS ALLOWING IT THEN YOU REALLY SHOULD STOP WINING!
I got an idea...Go Complain to ebay! Its their rules!!!!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
This issue has been discussed here before.... I do like Sellersroshop's point about eBay leveling the playing field and actually serving both parties instead of only the buyer. But, I also feel that when someone lists an item in an auction style listing with eBay or anyone else, they should not have the option of changing their mind and pulling the listing. Try that with Matthews/ Morphy and see how it goes over. eBay is not intended to be merely an advertising site, it's an auction/sale site. If you end early you are shorting eBay their final value fee for what you sold your item for privately using their site. Not sure how you can call that right? The listing fee isn't all of their income for the service provided. I have heard, but cannot confirm that they may assess a final value fee based on reserve price if you end early??

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Ohio Oil that's your take on it. You would have to see the emails. Item wasn't sold on ebay but store front. My third email said I see we are not going to do the back and forth price dance.
After asking some questions about item,I said I was going back to ebay and buy it now at listed price. If I'm talking with person about item,I would hold off excepting other offers. But maybe I only view things from a buyers standpoint as I don't sell on ebay and don't have a store front.

Little off topic because this was not auction listing-sorry didn't mean to highjack topic. Like Ed just venting.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Sat Jun 07 2014 06:48 AM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
Ebay allows the auction to be ended for several reasons!

and none of those reasons are "BECAUSE I WAS OFFERED TO SELL IT OFF EBAY AND NOT PAY THE MEASLY LITTLE FEES"

So once again it comes down to honesty and integrity when a buyer sells an item to someone that made the offer, then checks off one of the reasons why he ended the sale. Because none of them are truthful.

The BIGGEST Whiners are the ones that believe what they want to believe to suit themselves.

Just Saying!!!

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Ebay makes You pay the final value fee now on ALL ended listings too!
Alot of ebay sellers have their items in antique malls and other websites while listed on ebay too...
Those people are the ones demanding the ability to end an auction early if it sells elsewhere.
I recently bought a sign that was listed on ebay BUT seller said it was also for sale locally? So I called his ONLY antique store in town and drove over and bought it for 100 less than it was at on ebay smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
EVERY time this is discussed... I mention this, so I might as well do it again.

When an item is listed auction-style with no reserve... its okay to wait to place your highest bid, but place some early bids on that item and get that price to jump up right away.

This is the best way to fight this dilemma... any no reserve auction style listing that is ended early results in the seller being charged final value fees of the price it was at when they ended it. Sellers only get 1 freebie per year.

So when you see something that you dont want to end early... bid it up early, then place your max bid for a snipe at the end.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Ebay rule #1 for ending auction early...
Item is lost, broken, or otherwise NO LONGER available for sale!
Until ebay changes THEIR RULES! Get used to it!
Funny how the biggest winers cant follow oldgas rules YET they wanna cry over ebay and someone else's items? Then they wine when told HOW to sell their items on here!
*Wanna make a change? Get an online petition going to have ebay STOP the practice...Do something constructive.....

relax, dry your eyes and go for a bike ride...just sayin!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Screw It!
I'm headed over to Tom's, he's bringing out the WINE. Together we'll figure a better way to be WINnING on ebay.
Then we'll head over to Loyds & see if he is ACCEPTING our offer!
EXCEPTING that he might not like Tom & I, Ohio Oil's a Great guy!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved