Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
You can't live life worried about "what if's". The fear of "what if's" can't be a reason for inaction.
But, You can be cautious and careful.... That's how thieves and flim flam people hope we think !

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This subject seems to be getting a long way off track... Or atleast that is how I perceive the direction it is heading....(not that I don't agree with the full names and States in the Profiles... Along with a telephone #....)

The question is, is there a need for a "star or some other form of rating system" to show which Members are honest?

My opinion is no... I am guessing, here. But I bet I am damn close to being 100% correct... That most of those, replying yes.... Are new to Oldgas and too the Hobby....

Most of us that have been in the Hobby, for any length of time; have reputations... For some in the Hobby, those reps seem to be only good in nature... For others in the Hobby, those reps are not always flattering... (I can speak from experience on that one!)

But, I honestly do not know of one instance where I screwed over another Hobbyist... And my time in the Hobby, is fairly long...

Here on Oldgas it is real easy for someone to send a PM to another Member and ask "Have you dealt with so and so? How about this Member, also"?

Because of my age, I have had mostly fantastic interactions with most of the "older Members", but not always... I at times, have a very "grinding personality"; as a number of Moderators and other Members have experienced....

I also, have tried to reach out to a portion of the "younger Members"... With varying levels of success... It is hard for me, to relate to those who are decades younger than I... That is a sad fact of life, that I will not change....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I vote No, Yes there are some bad experiences we have all had, but we must forgive and move on!!

Braden Splichal

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I'll put up with the sometimes BS, but I don't need anyone rating me about anything.

This is not General Motors, this is a hobby.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
I'll put up with the sometimes BS, but I don't need anyone rating me about anything.

This is not General Motors, this is a hobby.

Jack Sim

Well said Jack!

Have we heard enough yet? I have. The consensus is a NO

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think after spending time reading and contributing in several of the forums one already has a pretty good idea of who they are dealing with. If you want to give someone a "bad" rating, just push the "ignore" button.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I vote no and yes I'm late seeing this late. If the stars only rated a member helping with questions,etc it would be yes. Several Olgassers has taking me under their wing so to speak and helped me along the way. Mainly I guess because I wouldn't leave them alone but for those of you I'm truly thankfull! I don't think true collectors mind helping if given the chance and asked in a nice respectfull way.
A black list for sellers and buyers on oldgas is something I've recently been thinking about but should be only added to by Jim and Mods. Only to be viewed by members.
There you go something else for the mods to police as if their donated time is not stretched as it is. TM2C.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
I personally thought the rating stars could generate problems, but I wanted to get member opinions. Looks like it is a consensus not to do it.

The issue of requiring real names and location is already being dealt with. We have been requiring actual location with a minimum of state for years for new members. I do verify new member locations and working email addresses. We have been requiring real first and last names for the last year and a half from new members. Starting at the beginning of this year, we require 8 posts from new members demonstrating a knowledge of the forum and a posted image before they can request to be able to post new topics in the For Sale forums.

I don't have time to enforce a requirement for older members to conform to the current new member requirements. I would hope that older members would voluntarily comply with valid name and location info in their Profile. Setting an example for what they would like to see from others is a golden rule practice.

It is a valid security concern for your specific location to be available to the public. We require at least your state, but some try to sidestep that. In an average week, over a dozen new member registration applications are denied because of false or missing location or name. Some reapply and some are never heard from again. Real names and email addresses are only shown in a member's Profile which is only available to registered members who login.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From time to time I get reminded of how much behind the scenes work is done by the our host and mods.

Thanks for all you do to make this the best petro site on the planet!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
No

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Glad to hear that this will not happen. I'm sure it would have been a nightmare for you guys to control the rating system. As always Great Job!

Have gas all the time
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
If it did get voted in, would that mean all of us would have to wear a number 2 or a 3 or WHATEVER on our backs at the shows? LOL I mean c'mon folks? Lets get back to focusing on the hobby and educate one another, not label one another. Have a good summer and get out there and scout for pumps before the corn gets too high.

Goober

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved