Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The pack of marbles is a fantasy item. Made in all brands, you don't see as many on e-Bay as you did 3 or 4 years ago.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dave, Flying A did hand out marbles as did Chevron... I handed them out personally, when I worked at the Stations in the mid to late 60s...

So, before you make that kind of statement... You better know for sure....

I have seen a number of different names on marbles... Some of them most likely are fantasy items... But, some of them are repop items and a few of them are actually real...

I had Flying A marbles for decades and then lost them in a move from house to house...

Re-reading my post, it is kind of "grating" in it's context... And that is my nature...

We as Collectors and Hobbyists have an obligation to those that were not around when "the Full Service Stations" were in full swing... To be as correct as possible...

I am a child of the 50s and 60s... I also worked at a couple of stations during my teens... As did countless other American Teens during the 1920s through the mid 1970s....

It is unbelievable how many items were given to Motorists and their Family Members to help build up a loyalty to a specific Brand and a specific Station...

I've read numerous comments from Collectors and Non-Collectors about items that are out there...

I've read that the gas pump S&P shakers are fantasy items, wrong. I've read that the gas pump shaped AM transistor radios are fantasy items, wrong. I've read that potholders, dishes, dishtowels, thimbles are fantasy items, wrong... I've read that the plastic "clamshell" coin purses are fantasy items, wrong....

So if one is not 100% positive and of course the best way to be positive, is to have worked at a Station and handed out items to our Customers.... If one is not 100% positive, then maybe "hedge one's bet" by not stating that something is 100% fantasy or .....

Last edited by Bob Richards; Wed Jun 11 2014 12:57 PM. Reason: to add clarification to my post

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So Bob, the packs of marbles that you were handing out during the 60's looked exactly like that?

Fantasy or reproduction those Veedol marbles are reproductions in my opinion.

Here's a pack of Shell marbles for those that want to believe these are real and bid on. 380920576283.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Wed Jun 11 2014 12:53 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dave... I imagine that most of the marbles on Ebay and at Shows are either "repops or fantasy"... But, I know for a fact that original bags of marbles are out there... As do other Members... As some time ago, this subject came up and other Members who worked in different Stations, stated that they had also handed out marbles to Customer's Family Members...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, sorry to hear that you lost your marbles.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Bob, sorry to hear that you lost your marbles.

somebody lost there marbles... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
LOL... It seems that I lost more than a few bags of them!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thought you said you were only Married 1 Time, Bob!
laugh

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved