Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#544090 Mon Jun 23 2014 06:26 PM
J
Jeffsme Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Any one know what model Bowser this placard would have come from. It was apparently referred to at the time as “The Bowser” and is still Patent Pending. The sign is appx. 12 x 8 inches . Found at an old roadside farmstead or very early service station site. I suspect whatever it is from is quite scarce.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/SHT2003/miscweb/bows1_zpsc455e069.jpg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ASSUMING it is from the BOWSER PUMP CO.

Most likely off a Pump & Tank System. No Fig.[Model] # readable. Patent was applied For, Never Issued [basically telling your competition you have filed for a Patent to keep them from filing on your item].

MOST pumps were in Production before the Patent was applied for & out of Production by time Patent was Issued.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Jun 23 2014 06:53 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Is that all you found or is there something that this tag is attached to?

I agree with DB, anything with a tag this big was probably a tank.

Check my book for early pictures of Bowser items. My book is available by clicking on the "BOOKS" at the top of this page.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
J
Jeffsme Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks, I guess what ever tank type it was it isn't around in enough numbers for anyone to remember seeing "The Bowser" type nameplate before.

Jeff S

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W/O a Patent Issue # or any other information on tag, you can only ASSUME it was an early Bowser Pump Co. item.

Search the U.S. Patent Office records on Google, MAYBE you will find where a Patent was applied for an item Called THE BOWSER.

Was the tag found in Wi.?

J
Jeffsme Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I would think the Ft Wayne embossing would remove any question about it being a Bowser pump item but maybe not.I suppose its possible they made other equipment as well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BOWSER Pump Co. did make other items including WASH [Scrub] BOARDS & from pictures I've seen they were Printed/Stenciled.
Maybe Jack Sim or Ron Scobie can enlighten us on other items.

Ft Wayne was a good size city even in 1900's & Bowser could have been a popular surname as Smith or Jackson is today. S. F. Bowser could have had many relatives in the area. Threw searching most families had several children to ensure that some would live thru sickness, accidents or epidemics [my Grandfathers b. 1880-90's, 1 had 9 siblings other had 7].

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
To be honest about all this, the "THE BOWSER" rings a bell, but I just can't take the time to look through over 500 pieces of Bowser literature I have. I have at least 25 Bowser brochures from before 1920. Presently I am working on the 3rd Ed. of the ID book and really don't have the time. Bring this up in about six months and I'll look for the info. or buy all my Bowser literature and become the Bowser expert.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved