Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#544714 Thu Jun 26 2014 11:18 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here is another one getting away with highway robbery. Check out completed listings and ID history.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've talked to him before, he knows better

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Translation of a Seller listing any sign as RUSTIC BARN DECOR on ebay...

"I know this is an unmarked fake, repop, and/or fantasy sign that I just purchased for $20, but the average buyer doesn't...and I am not violating any ebay policies because I never say vintage or original within my listing..."

Last edited by AZ_66_Native; Thu Jun 26 2014 12:21 PM.

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
More [MORON] buyers using HAND HELD DEVICES BIDDING ON ebay!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Diane, what is your beef?

The Seller started the sign out at $15... No where does he claim it is original...

In fact, he says in his Headline description that it is: "rustic barn decor"..... How is it his fault, that those bidding on it; have a collective IQ 4 points lower than roadkill?

Now, if the Seller had said that the sign was original, I could see your point... But, those bidding on the sign, are the brain dead ones... From what I see and read in the Auction description; the Seller has done nothing wrong....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I disagree Bob. Are you saying that if he continually puts new signs on that have been chipped and rusted to look old, puts a vague description in the listing, and they continually sell for huge money he is being honest? Look a little deeper Bob. Check his feedback. He's sold almost every repop pump plate they make, and for extremely high prices. They all happen to have the same look; rust, chips, etc. They also have vague descriptions. You can't tell me he isn't doing this with the intent to take money from some sucker. Also, the buyer was the same person almost every time. If you think he's not intentionally doing this you're being way too trusting. An honest person would say "reproduction" or "new" sign in the listing. Witholding known information in this type of situation is the same as lying in my opinion. The only good news is that it's been the same buyer most of the time, which is probably his second acct. Definitely something fishy going on. I've sold stuff on eBay before when I honestly didn't know if it was real or repop. My solution? Put in the description that I don't know if it's real or repop. Pretty easy to be straight forward. I would say that because I don't want anyone to assume false info due to a lack of description.

Pretty easy to test this guy for honesty. I will send him a question about the item asking if he knows if the sign is a vintage original sign, or new reproduction. I will also ask him to post the question and answer to the listing for all to see. If he doesn't do that, he's trying to keep the info under the radar, i.e. BEING DISHONEST.

Last edited by gaswagon; Thu Jun 26 2014 07:44 PM.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Just sent him this question. Curious how he responds...

"Neat sign. I know you say it is used, and it obviously looks old with the rust and everything. Do you know if the sign is a vintage original sign or a newer sign that has been aged to look old? Please post this question and answer to your listing so others can see it as well. That will probably help you out if you have info indicating it is real. Thank you."

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Although the seller does not indicate Vintage or Antique or the such...he is still using deceptive selling practices.

Words like "used".."rusty".."stained".."chipped"...make the sign appear authentic to the uneducated buyer, who wont take a bit of time to do research before bidding..They probably don't even take the time to find out that "Rustic Barn Décor" is not a term that real collectors use.

Those buyers are likely not in the hobby, and are just looking for what they think is an original sign for their mancave...

Imperial Oil collector..
TJammer #544754 Thu Jun 26 2014 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gaswagon
Witholding known information in this type of situation is the same as lying in my opinion.

EXACTLY

There is a member here that Forgets to mention in ebay auctions some cans have been re-rolled from Flats & Re-lidded, 1 can has original ends [centers] GLUED IN!

TJammer #544756 Thu Jun 26 2014 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Somehow to use words such as rusty, stained, chipped... On a sign that is rusty, stained and chipped.... Is now being dishonest?

Unbelievable!

Rusty, stained, chipped are descriptive words of a condition... They have nothing to do with an item being authentic or fake!!!!

My head is ready to explode...

Tom, do you have multiple decades in this Hobby?---- I do... In fact, I have over 5 decades in this Hobby, to be exact...

You said, that: ""Rustic Barn Décor" is not a term that real collectors use". -- Strange but, I have been using a form of that term when I talk about Collectables for over 30 years.

But, maybe you are more of a "real collector", than I?

Last edited by Bob Richards; Thu Jun 26 2014 02:49 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not so much dishonest..but deceptive..

Especially with the word "used"..

You put all that together, and it makes you think "old".."vintage"..

If they wanted to be accurate in their description, they would have put the word " reproduction"...or..."fantasy"..

Last edited by TJammer; Thu Jun 26 2014 02:55 PM.

Imperial Oil collector..
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
It's not the words he's using that is dishonest. It's the words he is NOT using that he knows would cause the sign to sell for an honest value (which is about 10x less.)

Bob, Here's an example. If I sold you a sign that LOOKED fantastic in the pictures. I said things like "has great gloss", or "no chips", and it looked 100% but you didn't have the ability to hold it in your hand before purchase. You paid a fair market price that sign typically brings, lets say $500, but when you received the sign it was a really well done painted sign. Not porcelain at all. Then I tell you "I never actually said it was porcelain." I'm confident you would be upset and feel cheated, since you paid a porcelain sign price for a painted fake.

To take it one step further, what if I had done that EXACT thing to multiple people multiple times? Would that be considered honest business? Not in my book. Hope that helps...

Last edited by gaswagon; Thu Jun 26 2014 02:57 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Holy Geeze...Bob..

I was only stating my opinion... No need to get all worked up over this..
You have your opinions, and I have mine..

Maybe you have spent too much time in the hobby..

Relax...Have a beer..

Imperial Oil collector..
TJammer #544762 Thu Jun 26 2014 03:12 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
In all fairness, the other side to this coin is that there are buyers that will do just about anything to justify buying a sign they want, including convincing themselves it's real.

In the early to mid 1990's, when eBay was brand spanking new, my dad and I were putting Andy Rooney porcelain signs in some neat aluminum powder-coated 18" neon clocks and selling them on eBay. We actually struggled with what to say to convince people these were NOT OLD CLOCKS! It was funny. No matter what we said in the description, people would convince themselves it was an old clock. We must have refunded money on hundreds of those things. Everyone was thinking they "found some rare old clock" on this new ebay website thingy. What a hassle that was! It didn't take long beofre others were doing the same but leaving the descriptions very vague and getting big money for them. It's just not right.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree totally, with what you are saying, Michael...

My point was that; I did not see where the Seller in this one instance; in this one auction was being deceptive...

I have no idea, if their other auctions have been deceptive?...

If in the future this Seller uses deceptive wording or infers that an item is original; when it is not... I would hope that Members would report that, to both ebay and to the Membership here....

But, if the Seller is not being deceptive in their auction... Why not leave them alone, until they do?....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved