Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Yup. You're right Bob. This seller has done this multiple times already. That's why he's ruffling some feathers. He does it repeatedly. That would lead me to believe he knows better...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Probably... Maybe, he has caught enough flack (rightfully so it sounds, in most instances) that he is going to try and be honest... And if being honest, gets him these kind of sales on $20 signs... Who knows what the future will bring? LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
My "beef" with this listing is:
The wording is meant to deceive he has sold all the 12" signs using the same wording. Worked before why change it?
At some point the people that have been ripped off are going to find out they got screwed. Well if you just got $1000's stolen from you by a dishonest seller would you still want to collect small gas signs? I think most people would not.
I have watched the value of door pushes go into the toilet because of sellers like this. What's next pump plates??
Its been impossible to stop this illegal and just plain dishonest practice on ebay.
There are times I wonder if I'm on the wrong side.
Let's see I could buy some of that bogus ***** and fantasy gas signs, chip and rust them some and then get $300++++ on ebay for them. I don't find it very funny.

F
F
Why are we arguing, lets just stick together and report sign. Eventually it will be tossed. 1 2 3 go...

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Seller responded to my question:

"hi thank you. it's an original sign. Will write again with keyboard and post answer to help increase bid and explain how I know

- 54on20s"

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just like some of the cans being listed as good/near excellant condition. How would you feel after paying & receiving a $400-800 item only to find it was a Repaired/Re-rolled Flat w/ Glued on ends?
IF it was described in description as being a repaired/re-rolled flat, at least you know before bidding.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Not on all reproduction/fantasy items, but for this sellers stuff the buyer has to take some responsibility. If you're going to pay $300 for a pumps sign, it takes about 20 seconds to see his sold stuff and realize it's all fake. If they can't do that, I can't feel too sorry for them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I too wrote the eBay lister. And his answer was nonsensical-
"the man said nobody been on out out of yard without him knocKing so it was from 1960 out earlier because he dad died and posed yard to him in 1967"
Crazy like a fox? Or a fractured attempt at English from a person not in North America?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He wants you to think he is a Homer Simpson!
But runs to bank like Bart.

F
F
please report they will kick it off, not enough volume come on lets go oldgas members

Last edited by FennecFox87; Sat Jun 28 2014 09:32 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Where have you been for 2 months?

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
OK, he got back to me with "the rest of the story"...

"Hi, using real keyboard now. Anyway I think approx 50 years old because it was in a 60s station wagon in a junkyard to be crushed for scrap. The yard owner said the yard was passed down to him from his dad who died in 67. I said how long has the car been there, he said since shortly before his dad died. He said at the time the car was wrecked a few years after it was made and the parts weren't rare so crushing it was not a big deal. Since it didnt' get crushed already he decided to part it out because the parts were becoming in demand. He says nothing comes in or out of the yard without him or his dog knowing so I think the sign has been in the car since the 60s. Thank you"

Obviously more BS, so replied with another question:

"Where did all your other ones come from?"

He responded:

"this place- (then inserted 4 pics of what looks like an old junk yard or abandoned bldg.)"

I replied again with "Holy smokes! Is that where all the ones you've sold in the past have come from?"

........waiting for a reply.

All this info will be passed along to eBay. Reporting it is a good idea, I agree, but unfortunately I know from first hand knowledge that eBay does not have the resources to do anything about it other than end the auction. My intent is to have him investigated for fraud and hopefully send a strong message to all the other liars that are hurting our hobby (and investments).

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
More dialogue:

He answered my question with: "Yes sir. I took everything I could afford or that wasn't already sold and to big to go with new owner at time of paying for it. "

I asked another question: Could you do me a favor and measure the sign from outside edge to outside edge? Thanks. Sorry for all the hassle. This is lots of money for me and I want to be sure I'm doing my due diligence.

He responded: "I understand, that's fine. Exactly 11 3/4 inch."

All this dialogue will go to eBay's fraud team. Unbelievable. No, LITERALLY! UNBELIEVEABLE! lol.... I feel bad for the poor sucker paying almost $400 for this $15 sign.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't feel to Sorry for anyone to LAZY to do a little searching BEFORE they Bid.
How many times in the past has the Brooklyn Bridge been Sold to Suckers?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Michael,why?

If a Seller starts a sign at $15, and a bunch of idiots drive up the price... Why in the world would you feel sorry for the idiots who drove up the price?????

All one has to do is a little research... We all found Oldgas and The Pit, one way or another... Some came to Oldgas with quite a bit of knowledge, some came with a little knowledge, most came with no real knowledge...

I read these posts over and over.... And 90+% are posted by Members who have NO real knowledge! It has been asked over and over by those with some actual knowledge, why the "bee in the bonnet" over repops and fantasy items... And over and over I read the same BS... Because these signs are something new.... And hurt the Hobby... How in the ... (trying to watch my words)... Would any of you know what is hurting the Hobby... Unless you have some time in the Hobby and sometime is atleast a decade... You have no idea what helps or hurts this Hobby!....

Repops and fantasy items in the Petro world have been around since the early 1900s! When a Store Owner that had some money, installed a "factory made sign"... And the Store Owner across the street or down the road, had a local sign painter make a copy or a close facsimile... The repop/fantasy sign was "born"...

But, because you folks have no knowledge of what happened... 1 yr ago, 5 yrs ago, 10 yrs ago; let alone 30 years ago and 50+ yrs ago... Like some of us...

We are continuously bombarded with post after post after post... Saying: "They made/someone is selling another repop/fantasy sign..."

I don't know how to break it to you folks... But, the Hobby is not being hurt by these items!!!!

Only those who have no real knowledge of the History of this Hobby... Make those claims...

When the Hobby started... These items were worth NOTHING!!!!! People paid others to take them away!!! In the 1960s, they were still paying us to take them away... (yep, I've been in this Hobby since the early 1960s)

In the 1970s, these items were worth a little....

In the 1990s, these items were worth a little more.....

In the mid 2000s, some were worried that these items were losing value...

In 2013 and continuing in to 2014... People are complaining that prices are too high...

Folks, if most globes, signs, cans, pumps... etc... Had not been scrapped, used as landfill, used as targets by adults and children alike.... Prices would be low...

One of the most copied signs is the Standard Oil Kerosene with the Elephant.... I've read over and over here how since they have been 'popped; Members stay away from them... BULL!!!

I doubt if more than a handful of Members here have actually owned an original... And I also bet, that NONE OF THEM took a loss on their sign(s) because that the sign has been 'popped!!! (I know, I have never took a loss)

It is the same with globes and signs...

Those with no knowledge (mostly Non-Oldgas Members), "chase their tails, like puppies"... And I am grateful for that... It leaves, less people bidding against me on the items that; are original!....

It is up to the individual Members as to what is important to them... For me, the History of this Hobby... The stories behind the Company's that "died and those that survived" are what drives me...Also, the different time periods in the "Age of the Gas Station" interest me...

So if chasing repop/fantasy signs;...

(Which are legal to make and to sell, by the way...)

Are what you are getting out of this Hobby? More power to you....

Last edited by Bob Richards; Sun Jun 29 2014 08:38 PM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved