Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
really #550129 Mon Jun 30 2014 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I can't subscribe to the idea that offering chipped-up repros and acting ignorant about their origins - or worse, spinning a ridiculous lie - is acceptable, or helpful for the hobby...and, of course, I would love it if eBay would spend some of their largesse to insure offerings listed as antique/collectible are authentic, and not phony - but like DB said, it ain't gonna happen, because that would negatively affect their bottom line...the best we can do is report stuff when we see it, and hope someone who's looking to spend $$$ has enough sense to sit on the sidelines and learn, before making a sizeable investment...

...now, regarding shill bidders: seems to me that most have very low feedback ratings...case in point: this Gulf handy oiler that has no business going for this much:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161347743517

...might just be a case of 'you can't fix stupid' or 'more money than brains' - or it could be all those bids by the knuckleheads with the 2 and 6 feedback ratings...I'll bet the next one doesn't bring 1/3 of what this one brings...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Quote:
Gaswagon......to make the statement about using multiple accounts to bid up his on stuff, tells me you know nothing about shill bidding and how eBay has cracked down on it over the years...

Great assumption. You're dead wrong.

Please, educate me. Here are the facts I can see:

1- seller has a fake sign that has bid up to a high amount and has had lots of bids.
2- seller has two other current auctions that have the same circumstances (fake signs, multiple bids, high price)
3- the "bidders" on all three signs are in large part the same ebay usernames outbidding each other.
4- those usernames have also purchased many past auctions from this seller and left positive feedback for the seller. Yes, they have purchased NUMEROUS fake signs for large amounts, then left positive feedback about how happy they are...
5- Quite a bit of the sellers feedback is from these same ebayers.
6- Strange coincidence: those other ebayers sell the same fake signs and this seller has been a frequent buyer from them also. Hmm. Weird! What a coincidence! This guy BUYS fake signs for high amounts from other sellers? I'm shocked!

Look, I'm not out trying to save all the uneducated buyers. I'm not trying to make eBay change their world. I'm not trying to "fix" the hobby. I SEE SOMEONE DOING SOMETHING UNDERHANDED (that MAY cost an innocent person $$) and I have a means to possibly stop it, so I'm going to try. I'm all ears if you can find fault in that.

I'm a little surprised about all the energy some folks have spent trying to defend this guy when it's been laid out plain and simple what he is doing. I typically don't get involved in this stuff on oldgas, but I saw this post and looked into it and it rubbed me the wrong way. In fact, I rarely post anything on this site due to all the drama that typically unfolds here. I've been a lurker for years, but I avoid posting due to all the keyboard cowboys on this site! lol...

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME: what harm is being done by reporting this guy? Good heavens...

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Funny timing on this... I just got a message from my friend at eBay. He said they found shill bidding across multiple accounts. He says the shill accounts were actioned but they are digging deeper into the main account. He said they are probably going to ding the main acct for shill, and if anything else happens his acct will be taken down permanently.

.....no way was he shill bidding, right? LOL...

MULTIPLE ACCTS TAKEN DOWN! That may save some unsuspecting un-educated new collector a few hundred bucks on a fake sign. I don't feel bad about doing that AT ALL. I think I will go back to being a lurker now...

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Gaswagon, keep on posting and fighting the good fight.

Of course the fraudsters and their fake goods hurt the hobby.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Just like I said...if you shill on ebay you have a short life........your post is full of assumptions...If you don't think people actually pay "stupid" money everyday on ebay, then you're wrong. I'm certainly not defending this guy, I just telling you that shill bidding is not, "gee let me set up some additional accounts and bid on my stuff". ..that would last 1 hour. ...if he's done a much more complicated version of shill bidding, he will go down, like maybe he is now.....you can't get away with it for any length of time in 2014.

Last edited by really; Mon Jun 30 2014 04:18 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gaswagon
Funny timing on this... I just got a message from my friend at eBay. He said they found shill bidding across multiple accounts. He says the shill accounts were actioned but they are digging deeper into the main account. He said they are probably going to ding the main acct for shill, and if anything else happens his acct will be taken down permanently.

MULTIPLE ACCTS TAKEN DOWN! That may save some unsuspecting un-educated new collector a few hundred bucks on a fake sign. I don't feel bad about doing that AT ALL. I think I will go back to being a lurker now...

Thanks GW for fighting the good fight on this one!

rbonitz #550200 Mon Jun 30 2014 08:35 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I'm very pleased to hear there was some action taken on this and other sellers involved in this scam. I'm curious what will happen on the three signs that closed yesterday to the tune of over $1100 will ebay do anything about that? They are still up in sold listings showing the high price.
Thanks for taking the time to deal with this GW
Diane

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I also appreciate your efforts GW.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
This person has been ripping off people for over a month now...
I think he is a member from Redding California...
Here is a huge firestone sign He is selling with HIM pictured smile
His completed listings show over $2,000 in sales of repo's being schill bidded and sold as originals by placing them in the antiques category!
He is deliberately selling these in the primitive section to decieve NEWER collectors!!!! The same few bidders seem to bid it up BUT NEVER WIN! LOL
Here is HIS picture and his auction of a HUGE neon!!!! Notice how he FOUND the correct category for the firestone YET intentionally sells repo's in Antiques category to RIP PEOPLE OFF!!
Crook on ebay!

Reproductions are supposed to be sold in the reproduction section!!!!! PERIOD!
If your using the original sign categories used for originals THEN YOU ARE BEING DECEPTIVE!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Where do you get that huge new sign?

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Interesting... if he's a member on here I'd love to hear his side of the story.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WE have already Hung him, dead men tell no lies.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's important to do our part in trying to stop these "dishonest sellers". However, I don't think we will ever be able to rid the hobby of them.

You'll never change these guys or stop them from conducting business.

We have a better chance of understanding women...

Understanding Women.jpg

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I think it might be a good idea to follow this seller on ebay and get alerts if he lists again. Like to see this crook shut down.
Interesting people's court today. Bogus Les Paul guitar sold as a real Les Paul guitar out of a pawn shop. Seller thought it was real, according to his testimony anyway. Judge made him refund purchase price and said if you sell it again you will be in big trouble. She said if you sell a car it should be a car. So if you say it's a pump sign it should be a pump sign. Tricky wording will get nowhere in court.
Lol

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I follow him on eBay. Currently he has nothing for sale.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved