Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#552442 Fri Jul 11 2014 01:38 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Same sign, different seller so I thought I would post. Just bought a "legit" 1920s California State Auto Association sign from this seller, and noticed all the repop petroliana the seller has listed. Then I looked at the closed sales and ....well you be the judge (small sample of dozens sold):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORCELAIN-SIGN-A...E-/331251515394

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORCELAIN-SIGN-H...E-/331251506236

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORCELAIN-SIGN-M...E-/331213014552

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORCELAIN-SIGN-S...E-/331239758333

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORCELAIN-SIGN-S...E-/331223259802

In a very futile attempt, I left "insightful" feeback.

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From sellers feedback (Out of many repops seller lists this one was a legit CSAA c.1920s sign A+++++ )

Bravo ,Aaron!!!

Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Fri Jul 11 2014 02:11 PM.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
seem to deal heavily in aftermarket signs.. cool

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't even feel bad for whomever is buying these anymore (I used to). If they can't do a simple search on google and see these are fantasy pieces, I guess they will learn the hard way unfortunately. Shame on Sellers using "tricky" phrases to incinuate the item is old but leaving themselves and out by not claiming original. I appoligize to sellers with good hearts that just don't know they have a repop are have honest intentions.

Last edited by luminor89; Fri Jul 11 2014 02:29 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: luminor89
I don't even feel bad for whomever is buying these anymore (I used to). If they can't do a simple search on google and see these are fantasy pieces, I guess they will learn the hard way unfortunately. Shame on Sellers using "tricky" phrases to incinuate the item is old but leaving themselves and out by not claiming original. I appoligize to sellers with good hearts that just don't know they have a repop are have honest intentions.

I AGREE 100%.
WE Can't HELP STUPIDITY BUYERS that REFUSE to HELP THEMSELVES w/ simple Google/ebay Searches.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
This is another account associated with 54on20s... I've already turned him in. Don't worry folks, these aren't REAL buyers paying these amounts. He's shill bidding them to the moon hoping some sucker sees all the action and throws in a bid, then he sticks him with it. He will be shut down. He has WAY more accounts (or acquaintances helping him) than initially realized, but eBay is on it. Hopefully they get enough on this guy to pursue legal action.

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Indian fakes are what's goin to kill us.not 12 in rounds that u can get all over for 20 bucks. Ex 4000.00 plus for a fake Sinclair like the one in Sylvester GA auction last yr from eBay to auction in weeks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Come on folks... Fakes are not going to kill the Hobby! I have been hearing that BS since the 70s... And looking around the Hobby, it seems to be stronger than ever and it seems to be moving like a "Steam roller"...

Yes, it is true that fakes are getting better... But, we have a giant advantage. We have the 'net, we have Oldgas and the Pit... We have Vendors that have both physical and web based catalogs they share...

Imagine, what it was like before the 'net... Repops and fantasy's were out there... But, most of us had nothing to compare them to... We had no forums in which to discuss and post images for other to share knowledge... With...

Sure we need to be on our toes, but atleast for me... That keeps me interested in the Hobby... I can't take it for granted that every item I see is "real"...

And more importantly, we have each other... This network of Collectors, are something the Founders hoped for... But never really expected... Because of this network; If some one has a question, there are knowledgeable and experienced Collectors who voice opinions and reasons that an item is "real" or "fake"...

Folks, believe it or not?... But, you all are "winning"... Those of you who are new to the Hobby (less than a decade)... Because of the Shows, Web Sites, Emails, PM's, Forums.... etc... Where you couldn't tell a 3 day old sign from a 100 year old sign, when you came into the Hobby... Now you folks can spot most "fakes"... That is winning!

Those new to the Hobby and Non-Collectors are the ones the "hucksters" are going after... And those "Newbies" can do the same thing you folks did... Do some research and look at items with an air, that an item could be a fake...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some Guys/Communities are trying to Save the Grey Ground Squirrels from becoming ROAD KILLS!
IF the Squirrels want to play Chicken w/ cars, some are bound to Loose! laugh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL... Thanks to the bridges the amount of road kill has dropped significantly! LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Down here the Squirrels run the power lines, don't need Multi $$$$$ Bridges!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Down here the Squirrels run the power lines, don't need Multi $$$$$ Bridges!

I work for a power company and squirrels are a pain. They are the cause of many outages and expense to "Squirrel proof" your system..pay your power bill with a smile...LOL

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF you didn't have Squirrel Problems would you have a Full Time Job? [I Heard JP doesn't pay Mods Minimum Wages!].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We eatzem here ..lol

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shooting Squirrels is almost as much fun as catching Bull Frogs, But I've seen more meat on frogs than Squirrels, Frogs are Better eating too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved