Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
At the Portland expo show there was an aluminum white eagle statue. It sold quick. The vendor claimed the originals were made in both cast iron and aluminum. I always believed only the cast iron were original and the aluminum were a repop in the last 20 years or so. Does anyone know the history of the aluminum ones?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never heard of an orig. Alum.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Up to what year did white eagle operate as a brand? Notes on the site indicate it was bought out in 1930. Long before the widespread use of aluminum?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've only heard of aluminum as repops also. And I may be proved wrong, but.... Not only was cast iron more economical is was also stronger, more durable and also harder to pick up and walk away with. I've noticed sometimes when certain guys buy something, thinking its original only to find its probably a fake, they will solicit opinions until they finally find one that lines up with their original hope. Then that becomes gospel.

Last edited by JimT; Sun Jul 13 2014 08:58 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
" I've noticed sometimes when certain guys buy something, thinking its original only to find its probably a fake, they will solicit opinions until they finally find one that lines up with their original hope. Then that becomes gospel."

OOhhhhhh so true...

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Aluminum ones do not have the finished detail that the cast iron ones do. Rougher. Never have seen an aluminum original.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reproductions are usually done with the easiest and quickest method of production in mind versus quality, function and longevity.

Cast iron one's have more detail, better construction, more expense involved in production and serve the original purpose much better.

Ever see an original aluminum Case Eagle? I think, that answers the question at hand.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
"Ever see an original aluminum Case Eagle? I think, that answers the question at hand".

Sorry Dave, how does that answer the question? My questions were actually does anyone know the history of the aluminum ones, and what is the history of White Eagle Gas (as that might show that the aluminum ones couldn't have been produced while the company was operating).

I didn't look close at the aluminum one at Portland as it sold just before I walked up to the table. I can't answer to the quality.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Woops. I misread your answer Dave. You were talking Case Eagles and I was talking White Eagle. I agree with your comment.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cast Alum. has been around over 150 years. BUT WHITE EAGLE Made their statues w/ Cast Iron.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wow. I obviously wrongly assumed aluminum didn't come into regular commercial use till WW2.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Assuming gets More Into Trouble than Out of Trouble!
Assuming your Financial Advisor is correct that your accountant has been ripping you off & not vice verses! Time to Fire BOTH!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Originals are also made in concrete...

The concrete ones are blunt nosed I believe, with less detail than the cast iron versions. I believe the concrete eagles may have been the first produced in the 1920s...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a postcard with the photo clearly showing a concrete eagle, and an auto with a 1926 license plate.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How can you tell it's Concrete & not Cast Iron in a 1926 Photo?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved