Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So I have tons of photos of Cities Service curb signs saved on my computer from various places on the net... and wanted to put them together for a useful post to be used for reference.

I know of many styles of Cities curb signs & 3 styles of curb sign bases. I have seen all 3 bases used on several of the signs... But do any of you have photos showing which base is correct for which sign? Or do any of the experts have opinions to offer?

I know Kevin can weigh in, as he has had some NOS ones... and the pipe diameter should tell us which base is correct? Or is it possible the base and sign were provided to the station separately, and multiple bases used for the same sign?

Would like to hear everyone's input. Here are the pictures , I do not have a picture of the last sign complete on a stand.

3-bases.jpg Signs1.jpg Signs2.jpg Sign7.jpg

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Unless there are some dates/codes/numbers to use for reference I don't think you are going to get much info. Seems to me you are looking for the unknown. Some of this stuff at the time it was made was not a big deal and certainly never dreamed to be collectible or valuable but good luck on the hunt for info. I have some of these also as have been collecting Cities Service a long time. Let me know if you have any luck.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From what I can tell, there were at least 2 different rings and clamp systems for the clover shaped signs. One used a 1 1/4 inch pipe and the other used a 1 inch pipe.
The large round, embossed bases, have a 1 inch pipe thread, while the smaller clover shaped bases have a 1 1/4 inch pipe thread.
I do not know the pipe size on the first base you have pictured. I have 3 different clover shaped signs here, and they all use the ring and clamp that calls for a 1 1/4 pipe.
I also have an unused ring and clamp that would use a 1 inch pipe, but I don't know what sign went in it? It is also clover shaped but the signs pictured below won't fit in the ring correctly. The ring seems to be bigger than the sign. Both signs pictured use the 1 1/4 inch pipe and clover shaped base. The green colored sign is mounted on the wrong base with the use of a reducer adapter!
Do all of them that look like this use the same mounting hardware?? I couldn't begin to tell you. LOL

Koolmotor Clover 001.JPG Todays Pics 005.JPG
Last edited by K W FRITH; Wed Jul 16 2014 07:57 PM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
found a picture of the last sign complete in the stand... here it is.

...thanks for the info. I might not ever know which base is for which, but it was worth starting a discussion about and to document all the curb signs.

Sign8.jpg

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...you need old photos...using the sizes of the signs/bases (which you and/or Kevin will have) it should be relatively easy to extrapolate the sizes of each in the photos...that will tell you which is correct...

...what are the diameters of the different bases?

...Kevin, is that an NOS sign in your second photo?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Don't think this 21" curb sign was pictured?

Different style base too:

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved