Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55729 Mon Jan 30 2006 08:05 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hey there, I was wondering what kind of pump I should look for and how much might it cost to buy and restore a pump for a "MARINE" brand globe. I dont know when I would be able to buy one but if anyone could give info on the process(cost) of restoring an old pump I would be very grateful, Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#55730 Mon Jan 30 2006 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In order to find a "cost" to restore - are you plaing on doing the work yourself? If not the price can go WAY up for that kinda job if the pump is very bad or rusted threw.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#55731 Mon Jan 30 2006 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From your previuos post, that dates your globe to a 40s-50s time period, I would say a short computer pump, sometimes refferred to as electrics. Tokheim 39, G&B 96 for example. These should be easy to find, and affordable, as they are common pumps. I once got a Southwestern 45, for a case of beer, even this pump would work for you.

Southwestern 45

Talls are within reason of the time frame. Clockfaces and visibles would be less likely, but I doubt that one could say impossible.

Tokheim 39A

I would suggest getting "An Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps" by Jack Sim. You can get this here at our bookstore on this site. (Jack also frequents this forum.) Not only will this book give you an estimated value, but it will also give production dates of most of the pumps. This way you will be less likley to get a pump that is too new....

As far as cost, a lot of factors play into this, desirability of the pump, condition, completeness.... Just like buying a classic car, poor overall condition, and missing parts, could end up costing more than a complete unit.

You might want to check out our "For Sale or Trade" forum...

Keep us posted.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#55732 Mon Jan 30 2006 07:28 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Church-- Welcome. Probably one of the electric pumps as opposed to a visible or clockface. Tall Tokheim 39, Wayne 70. Repro parts are plentiful and they are relatively easy to locate. A complete pump execept for ad glasses and maybe a few missing trim pieces, a hose and nozzle would be great as those pieces are pretty easily acquired. Straight frame rails are a must!!!!!!! The straighter the side panels and doors, the better. Sandblasting the sheetmetal, top, frame components is recommended. You can spray paint the frame pieces or powdercoat or have a painter do them to preserve them. The finished exterior appearance IS EVERYTHING. Once you've sandlbalsted the pieces, at least primer paint to inhibit rust. Even if the metal is pitted. light amounts of body filler does the trick. Light manifolds are easily re-wired. I prefer repro metal globe holders. Plastic ones look cheap. If you have no expertise in straightening metal, etc. a good body shop with an old guy who has grey hair is a Godsend. It only has to please you in the end. If you're only going to do one... If this will be an addiction there is no 12 step program. The calculator mechanism will need some TLC. Post some notes on this site about that for tips. There are a number of good books for restorations. Have a blast!!!

Dave Folck

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved