Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#558526 Tue Aug 05 2014 08:29 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
frown Reproduction Mobil Pegasus E-Bay # 161386463637 This is a handmade example that I don't think will be mass produced. It does look like a NOS right out of the box, too good to be true. Even down to T-57 on the belly. No pictures of the back of course, but go into his "see other items" he has a motorcycle for sale and the unpainted Pegasus is beside the bike. It has the back enclosed so it can be painted and face either way. eek
Ed.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Header says USED, Description says NEW

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Repop Cookie Cutter

Well at least his description tells the truth!!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
eBay ID #161386484086 Thoughts on his clock for sale?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mike M.
Repop Cookie Cutter

BUT, DUMMY'S DON'T READ Descriptions!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The description has changed a lot from what it was this morning when I looked at it. Originally it did not say it was a reproduction, but anyone who knows much about originals knew it just "wasn't right" after looking at the photos closely.
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Tue Aug 05 2014 09:13 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Amen DB! Some students ride the bus to school every day but that doesn't mean there going to learn anything!
I contacted him to please change his listing to new.

Thanks
Mike

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
But ... It is T-57 wink

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These are popping up all over the place. I've met 3 diffrent people making them in Texas alone. Most have been aluminum but I have seen 1 made of steel. The ones I've seen were very well made but also obviously not real.
then again I know cookie cutters a novice might buy 1 as real.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Since the prices of these have steadily risen over the last couple years it was only a matter of time before we would see these hit the market. I guess my biggest issue with the one in question is the "T-57" marking......IMHO that is only there for one reason, and that is to fool someone "down the road". Someone who is new to the hobby, doesn't do the research and know what they are buying, or takes it at face value. While the current listing for this item is honest, buyer #3 could be the potential victim down the road.
Darin

Last edited by DWSheffer; Tue Aug 05 2014 09:28 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is an item I created & had cast in Red Brass 15yrs ago that recently sold [our buddy w/ Alum. White Eagle!]. I also did some for POLLY, GILMORE & HANCOCK.
Oil Dispenser Lid

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
... cool

mob22.JPG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: DWSheffer
The description has changed a lot from what it was this morning when I looked at it. Originally it did not say it was a reproduction, but anyone who knows much about originals knew it just "wasn't right" after looking at the photos closely.
Darin

Yep it sure did change a lot! Lots of issues with this sign. All I can and will say is small details. Almost as good as cheeses repops. Good looking repop and would fool a lot of newbies and some vets. Heck I had to look twice and stare. Ask Darin I talked to him first thing in the morning LOL.
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
wink Imagine down the road a few years, a few chips in the paint and some aging.... did you all see the Harley Rocker at Iowa Gas that was "aged" and later pulled for being a "rustoration" The T-57 on the belly tells the real intentions of the creator. whistle
Ed.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Mike M.
Repop Cookie Cutter

Not sure if he is an OG member or not, but the seller is a super honest guy. I have bought several gas/oil signs from him over the years and have never had a problem what so ever. He did contact me several months back, (sent pics of new peggy) and represented it as a repop from the get-go(I prefer the real deal). So there is no question (in my mind) from past transactions and his listing description that he is representing his stuff correctly. The t-57 may become an issue down the road (buyer #3) as Darin mentioned, but an educated buyer should know the difference t-57 or not. (but it SHOULD be marked on there somewhere that its a repop)Just my 2cents worth.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul, I guess we have a different idea of what constitutes a "Super Honest Guy"! The Seller marked the "repop" with T-57... That is dishonest...

Now if he had marked it 2014, that would be "Super Honest"!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I'm gonna repop the Mona Lisa to show I can I wouldn't put hillbilly teeth in her mouth. I'd mark the back and tell people it was fake. I don't feel like he's trying to fool anyone but showing he could if he wanted to.
The real fakers are lazy or lets face it most of the mint signs bouhht would be fakes. They have the ability to make better fakes just no reason theres plenty of rubes out there.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob,

I don't like repops as much as the next guy and won't disagree with you that the seller putting t-57 may not have been the best choice in lieu of 2014. At this point, we do not know if it is marked repop somewhere on it, so I wouldn't call him dishonest just yet. However, my comment on him being honest was from prior transactions with the seller. In regard to dating things...for the sake of conversation: Is this example considered dishonest? IMHO this example is the same situation. Its brand new made to order, but considered/sold as a 1955. (a GM licensed product)
1955 chevy
Still a repop, but buyer #3 scenario may still come up as mentioned previously.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Now if he had marked it 2014, that would be "Super Honest"!

...or what ever year it was made, and I agree.
I wish everybody would (or would have) marked their repop or fantasy items.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T-57 vs 2014 = 1/2 the Selling/Appeal Value [you'd want your buddy's thinking you have the real deal hanging on your wall].

R
R
Hi seems the cookie cutter I made is causing a heated discussion. Figured it was time I joined in on the fun since my honesty was what was on the chopping block in this conversation. I originally made the sign for a client who asked me to date it ( which has to take place during the painting process) so I did so. When the deal feel through I had a cookie cutter I needed to sell. So here we are. I've had two dozen emails and phone calls asking me if it was real, so I updated the eBay page repeatedly to let people know it was a reproduction. I have never once tried to pass this off as an original. So people calling me dishonest you can stop now and get a new hobby. I have 9 more horses made that don't have dates on them at all so you should get to know someone before you judge them amongst your gas and oil community. I love this hobby and wouldn't do anything to disgrace it or my own name. I was just trying to build something that every collector would want that can't afford the gigantic price tags that the originals have. Remember when it was good for people to build things with their bare hands?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: RoyalRust
I was just trying to build something that every collector would want that can't afford the gigantic price tags that the originals have.

At $3100. that is pretty darn close to a nice original, so in my honest opinion, It is a much wiser decision to buy the real deal.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remember when it was good for people to build things with their bare hands?

Did you Clear this Statement with Rick's Wreckstorations?

Guilty UN-till Proven Innocent in a Court of Law [just ask anyone charged w/ a crime], once charged 1st suspected.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Why are people busting this guy's nuts. It looks awesome and the craftsmanship is certainly not lost on me. Also...I'll take a few of those excellent condition original horses at 3200 or best please.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Irregardless of what the customer wanted, dating it T-57 was wrong.

Honest people don't infringe copy rights. Do you have a licensing agreement with Mobil? It's their intellectual property you are counterfeiting. Here's the real choice now. Now, that all this has been brought to your attention an honest person would destroy the 9 blanks you have or seek a licensing agreement. This is your opportunity to be honest or dishonest. What will you choose?

Mancave several real ones on e-Bay in that price range. Will be watching the BOTW for your post. Let's see what comes easier a hollow offer to buy a few signs or the money out of your wallet.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
R
R
Think what you want of me I no longer care. Ive never cheated anyone. Gods judgement is the only judgement that matters to me. People make crosses all the time you think he's looking for his royalties...?

Online Content
Think what you want of me I no longer care. Ive never cheated anyone. Gods judgement is the only judgement that matters to me. People make crosses all the time you think he's looking for his royalties...?

That sure is a far fetched comparison...

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Speaking of copy rights;
In general, is it against the law to use a copy righted image in any way for personal use or only if you use it to make money? An example, is a person breaking the copy right laws if they get a Harley Davidson shield tattoo without permission? Or make their kid a Bugs Bunny birthday cake? Or is it only illegal if someone tries to make money off of the image? How close to the original image does the fake have to be to break the rules?
Just wondering..

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Wes, it is all determined in court by established past court cases for similar material or by active lawsuit or threat of lawsuit. Some copyright holders actively go after infringement, others only take action in serious cases.

A lot of things like tattoos or birthday cakes probably should be licensed by the copyright holder if the work is being sold. In reality, it is probably not practical for the copyright holder to watch for and chase down every incident. Still, the right thing to do is to ask permission before reproduction.

There is a "fair use" principal for unlicensed use of copyright material. The specific implementation is still up to the courts. For more see the Copyright Office on Fair Use:
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Every time someone restores a pump they're making a fake. I see lots of restored ones for sale on here. I think we should get the pitchforks and torches out.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I love being educated...Now I know there are Good Horses everywhere for 3k...I must be misreading all the price tags. I will remove myself from this topic as it really has nothing to do with me...Just thought it important to stand up for someones obvious abilities and talent.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Usually when you read a post it is pretty easy to determine the amount of thought or the lack of thought someone has put forth. Some contribute towards the discussion at hand, while others are simply a distraction.

Gas pumps are totally different. Globes, ad glasses and decals bought from reputable suppliers have licensing in place. So they are legit. The branding (globes, ad glasses and decals) don't add value per say to the pump. Majority of a gas pumps value is derived from the gas pump itself (i.e. make & model).

Signs on the other hand derive their value based on the company and graphics. Which is intellectual property. Unlike the pump, the sign blank carries very little if any value. Majority of the fake cookie cutter's value is as a direct result of the stolen image. If it was painted blue and white with a even slightly altered graphic it wouldn't be worth nearly as much.

It's not his talent or craftsmanship that is dictating the profit he is trying to generate. It is the stolen image and design.

From the foregoing, any prudent and intelligent person will come to the conclusion that the profit in this sign is due to the theft of property belonging to Mobil. Which is totally different then restoring a Wayne 60 as a Mobil pump.

I am Hopeful, this will be enough for Junk King and his posse to put down their pitchforks and torches before they destroy any restored gas pumps.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Thu Aug 07 2014 09:56 AM.

Dave GILL,
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes most definitely; based on what you have just written. I can see that it falls within the concept that you love the Hobby and would not do anything to disgrace it and/or yourself.... (Reading your reply reminds me of Treasureray and Lacie51's responses to the Membership....When they were called out for unmarked items)

Instead of permanently marking either the front of the Pegasus; Or the back. With the actual manufactured year date along with your name and address... I can see that you take great pride in your accomplishments....

The "T-57" date you placed on your creation and the fake dates you will most likely place on the other blanks... Show great pride....

Whereas, the "T-57" mark used by the original Manufacturer; does show that the Company, was proud of their work and marked their creation with their Name (the "T") and the date their work was created ("57")....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If this Peggy was around $500 I could understand. For 3k you can probably get a real one. The marking T-57 may have been for a customer but it only makes our hobby more difficult. Rivet a plaque somewhere signing as a reproduction not that's honesty.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Both of these horses brought over $3000.00 one had a fake tail had been welded on and had significant porcelain loss. The 2 piece had bondo on it and porcelain loss. I would pay $3000.00 all day for good horse and turn them for a profit and you would too Dave. I notice a lot of the complainers who cry fake also sell stuff. Are you afraid that people are stupid and will get cheated or are you afraid they'll buy a nice repop cheaper and you'll lose a sale?

20140421_205017.jpg 20140406_133711.jpg
Last edited by JUNK KING; Thu Aug 07 2014 11:17 AM.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Great post, Jefferson!

I am waiting for answers ... wink

Hen

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hen likes fantasy items

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I like it all: REAL, REPRO ( Newly dated ones & older un-dated ones ) & FANTASY!

Hen

Last edited by henlovestoys; Thu Aug 07 2014 11:35 AM.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
My thoughts...and I too have my stacks ready for all these 3k clean peggies people are going to bring me.

R
R
Hey junk king. Bring some gas over and we will light my Pegasus on fire and dance around it like wild Indians.... Seems like no one is busting cheeses chops and he's making multiples. I made one run and everybody blows a gasket. I have other stuff that I plan on making if it pleases the court room I will clearly paint on it reproduction, but as someone stated earlier "dummies don't read" so I'm not sure that would help. For the record I prefer the original but every time I see them for sell the price is higher than a giraffes *****. I priced mine with the comparable reproduction that's on eBay that no one seems to have a problem with. Why don't you guys talk about him for awhile..........

R
R
One more thing I was wondering, can anyone show me a real horse that is dated T-57? All the horses Ive ran into are dated T-55..

R
R
Oh yeah one more thing. If you buy a old gas pump and it's not a popular brand and less likely to sell and you restore it to a better selling more popular brand that makes you a little more jingle for your pocket is that not also making money off a brands name? Your stealing the intellectual property of someone else to increase your chances of making more money. I understand that a gas pump has it's own value but certain brands command higher asking prices.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=558469&gonew=1#UNREAD

I can see it now. 10 years from now someone has this pump for sale. It's dusty a little faded and "I found this in my uncles Harley dealership he's had it for years. Don't miss out on this rare find. $10,000.00 OBO
You'll know better I'll known better but we've already been told Joe average lacks the comprehensive ability to do research and will find this pump irresistible.
Does the shoe fit?

Online Content
Seems like no one is busting cheeses chops and he's making multiples. I made one run and everybody blows a gasket. I have other stuff that I plan on making if it pleases the court room I will clearly paint on it reproduction, but as someone stated earlier "dummies don't read" so I'm not sure that would help. For the record I prefer the original but every time I see them for sell the price is higher than a giraffes *****. I priced mine with the comparable reproduction that's on eBay that no one seems to have a problem with. Why don't you guys talk about him for awhile..........

This is typical behavior of somebody on their heels. Try to pass the blame and attention to somebody else instead of manning up.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[quote=Mike M.] Some students ride the bus to school every day but that doesn't mean there going to learn anything!
I hate that I have to quote myself!

Gas pumps are not signs with a trademark number on it!

I think that going back to where this all started is, "as part of the Old-Gas community that enjoy doing all we can to preserve this hobby for years to come, Please mark the item Reproduction and the year. It's simple, It's honest and a far as I'm concerned takes nothing away from your great workmanship.

oh and Mine is a T 58

a1.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The REAL McCOY dated 1957.

Pegasus-1.JPG

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
R
R
I have no problem putting 2014 on them. No one asked me that though. They just called me dishonest because it had a bogus date on it that someone else asked me to do. For the record I'm not on my heels I asked an honest question to which I get the typical sarcasm response. I've said nothing about cheese or his character. I'm asking why it's ok for one and not ok for another?

Online Content
I've said nothing about cheese or his character. I'm asking why it's ok for one and not ok for another?

Who is the one who brought Cheese into this? You...

This topic is not about Cheese, Tom, Phil, or Susan. It is about you and your deceiving, unmarked signs. This is as simple as it gets.

R
R
I've deceived no one. Show me anywhere in my listing where I said it was the real deal. I didn't bring anyone into this just the items at hand to which I still have not gotten a response. Why is it ok for one person and not for another? Why is it ok for this community to sit and talk trash about me when I've never cheated or deceived anyone.

R
R
This community seems to have a set of double standards. It's ok as long as its a buddy but if it's a stranger lets get a rope and drag him to the tallest tree. I don't know cheese I just used his eBay handle. I actually like his products that he has for sell. I was asking a simple question to which you people made personal.

R
R
Maybe had this whole thing started and people actually talked to me instead of talking trash about me I could have came up with a solution to the problem that everyone seems to have.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: seller
Header says USED [next to opening Bid], Buried in Description says NEW

WHY did you mark it T-57 if not to Deceive/Imply?

ALL REPOP/FANTASY Items listed here in FOR SALE/TRADE Must be marked in a Permanent Manner, Not So on the other site.

Short trees work just as well

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The actions of others have nothing to do when you are being held accountable for yours. Others doing something wrong doesn't make your actions right or remove your responsibility to do the right thing.

Only a child points at others trying to deflect blame. Mature adults come to terms with their mistake by admitting it and then taking the necessary steps to make the situation right.

I thought you and Junk King were going to get together and burn the sign in question.

Dave GILL,
R
R
First off I didn't list it on this site for sell. I listed it on eBay only. Second the horse with date was a request of the buyer. If people can't afford the real thing they want something on the wall that looks it, that's down to every last detail. I made the sign the way I was asked to do it. Third how can I be decieving anyone when my eBay listing clearly gives all the facts that it is Not original real or porcelain. I even described what paint I used to paint it. It's being sold as a reproduction so again how am I decieving anyone? Why is it ok for people on here to talk about me in a manner as if I were a dishonest crook? I sell lots of original gas items on eBay and have an excellent customer satisfaction rate because I am honest about everything that I sell.

R
R
Dave garage what are my actions exactly? Why don't you read muy listing to me.

R
R
My listing

Online Content
Third how can I be decieving anyone when my eBay listing clearly gives all the facts that it is Not original real or porcelain. I even described what paint I used to paint it. It's being sold as a reproduction so again how am I decieving anyone?

Are you saying that you did not change your ebay description of the sign after called out on here? If I am not mistaken, you did.

You are deceiving people with the date on the bottom. Somebody is going to get burnt on that sign someday. It may not be the person you sell it to, or the next person after that, but somebody will get nailed on that sign unless it is marked.

R
R
And I didn't deflect blame. I've asked this question 4 times now to which the only answer I've gotten was to insult me more. How's it ok for one person to do it and not another. Answer buddies and double standards.

Online Content
I've asked this question 4 times now to which the only answer I've gotten was to insult me more.

Who here is insulting you.

R
R
I wasn't even a member of this site till a day ago. I changed my listing repeatedly because I got phone calls asking if it were real to which I answered NO and didn't want there to be anymore confusion. It wasn't brought to my attention that you guys were talking trash about me till after I had made the revisions. Check the status of my membership here and cross reference it with times I changed description. I didn't even know this site existed cause I'm not that deep into this. I build motorcycles, furniture and other items made from wood and metal.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SO, IF a customer ASK you to make Counterfeit Money, YOU WILL?

I DIDN'T SAY you listed it here. I SAID
Quote:
ALL REPOP/FANTASY Items listed here in FOR SALE/TRADE Must be marked in a Permanent Manner, Not So on the other site.

Quote:

Item condition: Used

Quote:
Item specifics
Condition:
Used: An item that has been used previously. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of ... Read more

Quote:
8 foot Mobil oil Pegasus horse. 4 piece. Legs and tail bolt to the body. Made from steel, nice and heavy. T-57 on bottom of body. Excellent condition. 3 inch return on sign. Beautiful piece for any gas and oil collector. Any questions please feel free to ask. Will ship as long as buyer makes arrangements. Will crate and take to shipping hub for additional $75. Thank you. This is a high quality reproduction made from original specs.

1st MENTION of Reproduction BURIED IN DESCRIPTION.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Thu Aug 07 2014 06:31 PM.
R
R
Everyone calling me dishonest and saying I'm out to deceive people. I got other people telling me I'm a thief for stealing mobils precious horse design. Other people calling me a child. Shall I go on?

Online Content
And I didn't deflect blame..

And for the record, yes you did.

Seems like no one is busting cheeses chops and he's making multiples.

But officer, I was speeding because I saw a red minivan that was speeding, so I figured it was OK.

FYI, Cheese dates his stuff, all of it. I know him very well...

R
R
Give me an FN brake. Seriously your gonna compare this to printing money? What a joke

Online Content
Everyone calling me dishonest and saying I'm out to deceive people. I got other people telling me I'm a thief for stealing mobils precious horse design. Other people calling me a child. Shall I go on?

You are out to deceive people. If not the person you sell it to, possible the next person. Cant you see the problem?

R
R
Speaking the truth. Why are no one else's reproductions at discussion here? Possibly a buddy?

Online Content
I wasn't even a member of this site till a day ago. I changed my listing repeatedly because I got phone calls asking if it were real to which I answered NO and didn't want there to be anymore confusion. It wasn't brought to my attention that you guys were talking trash about me till after I had made the revisions.

So you did change the listing to CLEARLY state that the sign was not real.. Imagine that. But, you were not out to deceive anybody?

R
R
If I sell it as repop and the next guy sells it as real doesn't that make him the thief? If I sell a gun to a reputable police officer and he goes home and shoots his family with it does that make me a murderer?

Online Content
Why are no one else's reproductions at discussion here?

Why do you keep bringing up other people. We are not talking about other people.. We are talking about a sign made by you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved