Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul, I guess we have a different idea of what constitutes a "Super Honest Guy"! The Seller marked the "repop" with T-57... That is dishonest...

Now if he had marked it 2014, that would be "Super Honest"!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I'm gonna repop the Mona Lisa to show I can I wouldn't put hillbilly teeth in her mouth. I'd mark the back and tell people it was fake. I don't feel like he's trying to fool anyone but showing he could if he wanted to.
The real fakers are lazy or lets face it most of the mint signs bouhht would be fakes. They have the ability to make better fakes just no reason theres plenty of rubes out there.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob,

I don't like repops as much as the next guy and won't disagree with you that the seller putting t-57 may not have been the best choice in lieu of 2014. At this point, we do not know if it is marked repop somewhere on it, so I wouldn't call him dishonest just yet. However, my comment on him being honest was from prior transactions with the seller. In regard to dating things...for the sake of conversation: Is this example considered dishonest? IMHO this example is the same situation. Its brand new made to order, but considered/sold as a 1955. (a GM licensed product)
1955 chevy
Still a repop, but buyer #3 scenario may still come up as mentioned previously.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Now if he had marked it 2014, that would be "Super Honest"!

...or what ever year it was made, and I agree.
I wish everybody would (or would have) marked their repop or fantasy items.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T-57 vs 2014 = 1/2 the Selling/Appeal Value [you'd want your buddy's thinking you have the real deal hanging on your wall].

R
R
Hi seems the cookie cutter I made is causing a heated discussion. Figured it was time I joined in on the fun since my honesty was what was on the chopping block in this conversation. I originally made the sign for a client who asked me to date it ( which has to take place during the painting process) so I did so. When the deal feel through I had a cookie cutter I needed to sell. So here we are. I've had two dozen emails and phone calls asking me if it was real, so I updated the eBay page repeatedly to let people know it was a reproduction. I have never once tried to pass this off as an original. So people calling me dishonest you can stop now and get a new hobby. I have 9 more horses made that don't have dates on them at all so you should get to know someone before you judge them amongst your gas and oil community. I love this hobby and wouldn't do anything to disgrace it or my own name. I was just trying to build something that every collector would want that can't afford the gigantic price tags that the originals have. Remember when it was good for people to build things with their bare hands?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: RoyalRust
I was just trying to build something that every collector would want that can't afford the gigantic price tags that the originals have.

At $3100. that is pretty darn close to a nice original, so in my honest opinion, It is a much wiser decision to buy the real deal.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remember when it was good for people to build things with their bare hands?

Did you Clear this Statement with Rick's Wreckstorations?

Guilty UN-till Proven Innocent in a Court of Law [just ask anyone charged w/ a crime], once charged 1st suspected.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Why are people busting this guy's nuts. It looks awesome and the craftsmanship is certainly not lost on me. Also...I'll take a few of those excellent condition original horses at 3200 or best please.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Irregardless of what the customer wanted, dating it T-57 was wrong.

Honest people don't infringe copy rights. Do you have a licensing agreement with Mobil? It's their intellectual property you are counterfeiting. Here's the real choice now. Now, that all this has been brought to your attention an honest person would destroy the 9 blanks you have or seek a licensing agreement. This is your opportunity to be honest or dishonest. What will you choose?

Mancave several real ones on e-Bay in that price range. Will be watching the BOTW for your post. Let's see what comes easier a hollow offer to buy a few signs or the money out of your wallet.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
R
R
Think what you want of me I no longer care. Ive never cheated anyone. Gods judgement is the only judgement that matters to me. People make crosses all the time you think he's looking for his royalties...?

Think what you want of me I no longer care. Ive never cheated anyone. Gods judgement is the only judgement that matters to me. People make crosses all the time you think he's looking for his royalties...?

That sure is a far fetched comparison...

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Speaking of copy rights;
In general, is it against the law to use a copy righted image in any way for personal use or only if you use it to make money? An example, is a person breaking the copy right laws if they get a Harley Davidson shield tattoo without permission? Or make their kid a Bugs Bunny birthday cake? Or is it only illegal if someone tries to make money off of the image? How close to the original image does the fake have to be to break the rules?
Just wondering..

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Online Cool
Wes, it is all determined in court by established past court cases for similar material or by active lawsuit or threat of lawsuit. Some copyright holders actively go after infringement, others only take action in serious cases.

A lot of things like tattoos or birthday cakes probably should be licensed by the copyright holder if the work is being sold. In reality, it is probably not practical for the copyright holder to watch for and chase down every incident. Still, the right thing to do is to ask permission before reproduction.

There is a "fair use" principal for unlicensed use of copyright material. The specific implementation is still up to the courts. For more see the Copyright Office on Fair Use:
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Every time someone restores a pump they're making a fake. I see lots of restored ones for sale on here. I think we should get the pitchforks and torches out.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved