Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I love being educated...Now I know there are Good Horses everywhere for 3k...I must be misreading all the price tags. I will remove myself from this topic as it really has nothing to do with me...Just thought it important to stand up for someones obvious abilities and talent.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Usually when you read a post it is pretty easy to determine the amount of thought or the lack of thought someone has put forth. Some contribute towards the discussion at hand, while others are simply a distraction.

Gas pumps are totally different. Globes, ad glasses and decals bought from reputable suppliers have licensing in place. So they are legit. The branding (globes, ad glasses and decals) don't add value per say to the pump. Majority of a gas pumps value is derived from the gas pump itself (i.e. make & model).

Signs on the other hand derive their value based on the company and graphics. Which is intellectual property. Unlike the pump, the sign blank carries very little if any value. Majority of the fake cookie cutter's value is as a direct result of the stolen image. If it was painted blue and white with a even slightly altered graphic it wouldn't be worth nearly as much.

It's not his talent or craftsmanship that is dictating the profit he is trying to generate. It is the stolen image and design.

From the foregoing, any prudent and intelligent person will come to the conclusion that the profit in this sign is due to the theft of property belonging to Mobil. Which is totally different then restoring a Wayne 60 as a Mobil pump.

I am Hopeful, this will be enough for Junk King and his posse to put down their pitchforks and torches before they destroy any restored gas pumps.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Thu Aug 07 2014 09:56 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes most definitely; based on what you have just written. I can see that it falls within the concept that you love the Hobby and would not do anything to disgrace it and/or yourself.... (Reading your reply reminds me of Treasureray and Lacie51's responses to the Membership....When they were called out for unmarked items)

Instead of permanently marking either the front of the Pegasus; Or the back. With the actual manufactured year date along with your name and address... I can see that you take great pride in your accomplishments....

The "T-57" date you placed on your creation and the fake dates you will most likely place on the other blanks... Show great pride....

Whereas, the "T-57" mark used by the original Manufacturer; does show that the Company, was proud of their work and marked their creation with their Name (the "T") and the date their work was created ("57")....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If this Peggy was around $500 I could understand. For 3k you can probably get a real one. The marking T-57 may have been for a customer but it only makes our hobby more difficult. Rivet a plaque somewhere signing as a reproduction not that's honesty.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Both of these horses brought over $3000.00 one had a fake tail had been welded on and had significant porcelain loss. The 2 piece had bondo on it and porcelain loss. I would pay $3000.00 all day for good horse and turn them for a profit and you would too Dave. I notice a lot of the complainers who cry fake also sell stuff. Are you afraid that people are stupid and will get cheated or are you afraid they'll buy a nice repop cheaper and you'll lose a sale?

20140421_205017.jpg 20140406_133711.jpg
Last edited by JUNK KING; Thu Aug 07 2014 11:17 AM.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Great post, Jefferson!

I am waiting for answers ... wink

Hen

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hen likes fantasy items

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I like it all: REAL, REPRO ( Newly dated ones & older un-dated ones ) & FANTASY!

Hen

Last edited by henlovestoys; Thu Aug 07 2014 11:35 AM.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
My thoughts...and I too have my stacks ready for all these 3k clean peggies people are going to bring me.

R
R
Hey junk king. Bring some gas over and we will light my Pegasus on fire and dance around it like wild Indians.... Seems like no one is busting cheeses chops and he's making multiples. I made one run and everybody blows a gasket. I have other stuff that I plan on making if it pleases the court room I will clearly paint on it reproduction, but as someone stated earlier "dummies don't read" so I'm not sure that would help. For the record I prefer the original but every time I see them for sell the price is higher than a giraffes *****. I priced mine with the comparable reproduction that's on eBay that no one seems to have a problem with. Why don't you guys talk about him for awhile..........

R
R
One more thing I was wondering, can anyone show me a real horse that is dated T-57? All the horses Ive ran into are dated T-55..

R
R
Oh yeah one more thing. If you buy a old gas pump and it's not a popular brand and less likely to sell and you restore it to a better selling more popular brand that makes you a little more jingle for your pocket is that not also making money off a brands name? Your stealing the intellectual property of someone else to increase your chances of making more money. I understand that a gas pump has it's own value but certain brands command higher asking prices.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=558469&gonew=1#UNREAD

I can see it now. 10 years from now someone has this pump for sale. It's dusty a little faded and "I found this in my uncles Harley dealership he's had it for years. Don't miss out on this rare find. $10,000.00 OBO
You'll know better I'll known better but we've already been told Joe average lacks the comprehensive ability to do research and will find this pump irresistible.
Does the shoe fit?

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Originally Posted By: RoyalRust
Seems like no one is busting cheeses chops and he's making multiples. I made one run and everybody blows a gasket. I have other stuff that I plan on making if it pleases the court room I will clearly paint on it reproduction, but as someone stated earlier "dummies don't read" so I'm not sure that would help. For the record I prefer the original but every time I see them for sell the price is higher than a giraffes *****. I priced mine with the comparable reproduction that's on eBay that no one seems to have a problem with. Why don't you guys talk about him for awhile..........

This is typical behavior of somebody on their heels. Try to pass the blame and attention to somebody else instead of manning up.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[quote=Mike M.] Some students ride the bus to school every day but that doesn't mean there going to learn anything!
I hate that I have to quote myself!

Gas pumps are not signs with a trademark number on it!

I think that going back to where this all started is, "as part of the Old-Gas community that enjoy doing all we can to preserve this hobby for years to come, Please mark the item Reproduction and the year. It's simple, It's honest and a far as I'm concerned takes nothing away from your great workmanship.

oh and Mine is a T 58

a1.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved