Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56160 Wed Nov 23 2005 10:46 AM
R
OP Offline
R
What are you guys putting in the ground for a base for your big signposts? octagon post 21ft. with side hanging mobil shield. thanks Rick

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#56161 Wed Nov 23 2005 11:49 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
If you measure the holes in the base of the sign post, that will give you an idea of the diameter you're going to need. If you pour a pad of concrete, a wedge anchor is probably the simplest choice. For the ultimate in strength an adhesive anchor with a length of B7 threaded rod is by far the strongest. If you pour concrete, it takes 28 days for the stuff to full cure. The earliest you can install a wedge anchor is 20 days. Installing any sooner and you compromise the full working strength of the anchor. With a 21 foot post, it will likely see some heavy wind loads; so be conservative. Also remember deeper is generally better when it comes to the performance of any concrete anchors.
http://www.ramset-redhead.com/trubolt.asp

------------------
-Dave-
Slowly progressing on a '54 Tokheim 39

-Dave-
Collects Dino era Sinclair & Mopar items
#56162 Wed Nov 23 2005 11:49 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Rick, i am in the process of doing the same thing with a mobil shield. At first I was just going to put it on my 2'x10' pump island with 8" thick concrete and a couple of holes on each end about 3' deep. BUT, after seeing a previous topic about this,I changed my mind real quick.
I am diging a 3'x5'deep hole in the center of my pump island now, with 3' long threaded rod for the ancors. We don't want the wind to blow our island away. I figure this will take about a yard and a half to two yards of concrete. i am sure other members that have done this will give there expert opinion on this.
Joe

WANTED:::Barn Hangers...and other fine junk...
#56163 Wed Nov 23 2005 03:03 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the quick response guys,I may have gone overboard on my cement form ,2ft.square on top 4ft. square on bottom 6ft.tall,5ft. will be in the ground,1ft.will stick out of ground,plenty of re-rod& 4-1 inch threaded rods. Is it to late in the season to pour concrete in upstate N.Y.?

#56164 Wed Nov 23 2005 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am sure Dave meant well when he suggested the Red Head anchors. I agree with his method, just not the brand. HILTI all the way. They are the ONLY brand of anchor on the market that can claim a Zero failure rate. That means they work! I am a little bias because I am the rep. for Hilti here in Memphis and have had the chance to sell both Red Head, Hilti, US anchor, and Rawl. Hilti by far and away is the best. Good luck. http://www.us.hilti.com/

#56165 Wed Nov 23 2005 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd rather error on the side of overkill than not have the concrete deep enough.
2' X 2' X 5' deep is definitely not too much concrete. That might be the minimum you'd want to go.
Think of how much wind that big sign will catch. Also think of how much leverage the pole will provide. Threaded rod (with an "L" bent in them) extending deep into the concrete would be much better than anchors (consider the leverage factor) anchors don't extend deep enough into the concrete for this application.
While it does take at least 28 days for concrete to fully cure it can have half its strength in 48 hours depending on mix and other factors so if you use threaded rod or L shaped anchor bolts you should be able to put your sign up after a few days.
Its probably not too late to pour, but you need to make sure the concrete doesn't freeze. That means covering your pier and surrounding areas with visqueen and loose straw or even insulation.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 11-23-2005).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#56166 Wed Nov 23 2005 04:21 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sounds like Lastgas knows his mess about the concrete curing process. My father has been in waterway concrete construction(bulkheads, piers, bumpers, spans, fender systems, bridges, sub-structure, repair, pile driving) his whole working career, and I know that everything Lastgas said is correct. You definitely don't want it to freeze. And the slower you can cure concrete, the better. That means don't let it dry out too fast. Saturate the ground(sub-base) to slow the concrete curing process. Also a vibratory(tamping) to work out the air bubbles and bring the excess moisture to the top is ideal. Concrete is neat, and don't let it sit on your skin....... It will eat chu up!!! Good luck !!!

[This message has been edited by BBQ Chicken (edited 11-23-2005).]

#56167 Wed Nov 23 2005 10:36 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Rick,
Freeze? Not a term we are familiar with here in SoCal. I will throw my two cents in.
I would go for Galvanized "J" or "L" bolts, (over threaded rod),the longer the better. Any GOOD construction supply house should be able to come up with the bolts you need or give you some good leads. If not try AA Anchors or Cal-Fasteners, they should be able to direct you to a local source.
Remember to leave enough thread above the pad that you can put a nut and washer under the sign base. This will make it a lot easier to plumb. After you have the sign plumb then fill the void with mortar.
Don't forget to stub out some conduit for electric. Sounds like a great project.
Ed

#56168 Wed Nov 23 2005 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree that J or L bolts would be better but they aren't the easiest things to find locally in the size needed for a sign post. 1/2" X 12" are about the biggest you normally see. 3/4" X 24" would be the minimum I'd use. Thats not overkill by any means.
Like Ed said, don't forget to stub the conduit up. Even if you don't plan on using it now, you may change your mind later.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#56169 Thu Nov 24 2005 04:36 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
BEING AN ELECTRICIAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND HAVING SET HUNDREDS OF LIGHTING POLE BASES. I'D GO WITH WHAT BOB SAID EXACTLY. ANCHORS HARDLY GO DEEP ENOUGH. YOU CAN GET THE J OR L BOLTS AT MOST ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE HOUSES OR FASTENER SHOPS. 18" - 24" IS BEST FOR THIS APPLICATION. USE REROD AND IF YOU DON'T DRIVE A GROUND ROD MAKE SURE TO PULL A GROUND WIRE OUT TO ISLAND OR BASE. NOTHING NICER THEN TO THESE SIGNS LIT AT NIGHT. ENJOY

DOUG

#56170 Thu Nov 24 2005 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick, I used L shaped anchor bolts on my sign, I believe they were two feet long. You will also need a 3/4" to 1" adaptor for a socket that will fit the nuts, you won't find a 3/4" drive socket big enough.If you have any trouble locating what you need, call your concrete supplier - they will know who you can contact for all your needs. Brady

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved