Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You're not hard headed or obstinate if you admit you are. You have insight and just won't budge on your train of thought. LOL.
I am surprised that DB didn't photoshop a case of beer with your newly bought tools.
Keep us apprised with your progress.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
No guts, no glory!!! Just kiddin. The pump looks like its in fairly good shape. I wonder down the road if you may regret painting it without doing a real nice restoration. Any paint you put on now you'll have to strip off later when you decide to do a full blown restoration. Personal decision either way. Good luck and show pics as you go. Those pumps are beautiful when restored.

F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: oilmanpat
Use lots of oil. You may have to replace the die with a better quality one, like from Ace hardware or somewhere of that caliber. If you have never used a die before, once you get it started straight go about a half turn at a time and back up each time to break the chips.

Advice much appreciated. When I returned from Iraq I purchased a 25 year old German car as a daily driver; about an hour each way to work. So have no doubt I have a lot of experience with tap and die usage. But my 'good' set is an all metric set I picked up in the middle east. So just purchasing a 1/4-20 die won't fit it. Will see what Ace has to offer though. Just don't think I will use the SAE set that often.

F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Do you have a mig welder? I would cut the heads off about an inch down off of the original rods and splice them onto the new rods. Taper the piece you cut off and taper the end on the new rod. Weld the two pieces together. Then carefully grind and finish the rod shank or turn on a lathe.

I do have both a wire feed and a stick welder, have used them just enough to be dangerous. No lathe. Sounds like a job beyond my skills to be honest, but if my current plan just doesn't work I will give it a shot. Thank you for the idea, had not even considered it Dave.

michael

F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: TUCKER48
No guts, no glory!!! Just kiddin. The pump looks like its in fairly good shape. I wonder down the road if you may regret painting it without doing a real nice restoration. Any paint you put on now you'll have to strip off later when you decide to do a full blown restoration. Personal decision either way. Good luck and show pics as you go. Those pumps are beautiful when restored.

Thanks for the kind words Tucker. I think it will look great on the deck of the new house. Plan for it to stand tall between the 7 person hot tub and the custom whiskey barrel/beer keg grill I will build. I built my first beer keg a few months ago, will refine the design and have one mounted on each side of the whiskey barrel that will serve as a prep table.

keg grill.jpg
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
So yesterday I cut off a piece of the side conduits to take to a Lowes or HD to see what I can find as a replacement. Have my own pipe bender. Was surprise to see how thick the tubing really was. Amazing how most of it had rusted away over the years. Amazing also was the fact that it was made this thick as a wiring conduit, they really don't make things like they use to.

IMG_1098.JPG IMG_1097.JPG IMG_0793.JPG
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: F40LM
So yesterday I cut off a piece of the side conduits to take to a Lowes or HD to see what I can find as a replacement. Have my own pipe bender. Was surprise to see how thick the tubing really was. Amazing how most of it had rusted away over the years. Amazing also was the fact that it was made this thick as a wiring conduit, they really don't make things like they use to.

So a quick stop at the local harware store, standard 1/2" steel pipe was perfect size. Might not mess with getting them threaded, maybe a clean tack weld. 2 four foot pieces $14.47 with tax.

Conduit replacements.jpg
Last edited by F40LM; Fri Aug 22 2014 10:26 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The coupling are there for a reason & will have to be there.

F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Something that should be mentioned here:

CLR did clean the number tags really well. But it was a process of soaking for a while and rubbing them for a while then repeat.

But then I remembered the smal ultrasonic cleaner I have. Purchased it off Ebay for $20 a few years ago. I used it the clean automobile fuel injectors.

Putting the tags in the ultrasonic cleaner with some Evaporust cleaned them really well in about three cycles (maybe 10 min).

That is the route I would recommend to others.

It is a small cleaner unit that you would put jewerly in for cleaning. The tub in it is stainless steel though so you can use them by putting CLR, Evapo or brake cleaner in it and let her rip.

F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
So with the house build going on I can't really justify doing a perfect restoration, besides it will take years finding individual authentic parts.

So just going to focus on getting it finished with self-made parts for now if I can. Then as the years trickle by I will keep my eyes and ears open open for good deals on the parts I will need to do a top notch restoration down the road.

Yesterday I took one of the modern pump nozzles I had laying around and began playing around with it to get ideas on how to give it a more of a antique look.

IMG_20140823_102816_469.jpg IMG_20140823_102634_723.jpg
Last edited by F40LM; Sun Aug 24 2014 06:17 AM.
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Used my trusty 24" pipe wrench to remove what was left of the conduit piping as well as the side vent pipe that was coming out of the bottom. Plan to attach the side vent pipe to the custom barrel/keg grill as a vent. I liek the way it looks, just didn't like it sticking out the side of my Fry.

IMG_20140823_104015_802.jpg
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Used the pipe wrench and a grinder with a cutting disk attached to remove some unwanted/needed piping at the bottom. Still pretty nasty downstairs. But a trip to the self car wash will get most of it out I bet. After that plan to let it dry over night then coat everything I can on inside with end-rust.

IMG_20140823_132045_026.jpg
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Used the tap and die set from Harbour Freight to clean out the hole where the pump handle bolts in. I always have some Marvel Mystery oil around, good stuff.

IMG_20140824_092439_018.jpg
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
One of the great things about taking over the 1800 sq foot shop from my father who retired from farming is there are always plenty of bolts in the bolt bins to dig through and extra pieces of piping etc laying about. Took me about 10 min but these should work. The piping will be cut down on the chop saw to serve as a back spacer for the pump handle.

IMG_20140824_093905_859.jpg
F
F40LM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
A new reproduction pump handle will run you about $60 in alum and $100 in brass. This is an original one (supposedly) that ends on Ebay tonight, 10 hours remaining bid over $150.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171424707317?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Like I said in a couple/few years I will start colleccting original parts to do a full blown restoration. But for now I will see if I can make one that will be ok. It won't fool 'pump guys' but I'm not trying to.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved