Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
pkhammer #564057 Thu Aug 28 2014 05:50 PM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I am heading out on a 10 hour round trip drive this weekend with a couple thousand US dollars in hand. All I have is the sellers word that he is holding something for me. I will call again before I leave. Don't think there is much more that I can do.

A deposit works with some but I have done deals with this seller before and he only works with cash.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
hri_2008 #564065 Thu Aug 28 2014 06:13 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Thankfully only 1 or 2 out of a 100 deals go bad. The vast majority of people I've dealt with are trustworthy. Greed does trump integrity once in a while unfortunately. I deal with people the way I expect to be dealt with.

pkhammer #564111 Thu Aug 28 2014 08:50 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I am not sure what Ohio oil meant by that, if it was sarcastic or how it came out. Never swore at the guy, called him names, just told him that he made the deal on the phone and in my thinking if I would have been closer and came earlier I would have possibly owned the pump. By the way it was not just minutes later, probably 10 at least.
Again, it was a mistake on his part and I showed him or tried to that it was a life lesson and even he had to laugh when I told him that the mistake would probably never happen again.
I have had many people honor what they said on the phone even later when others have asked to sell for more. Even gave a guy an extra $100.00 for doing so, In fact still have the pump. The Bowser 310 in which I was trying to match.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #564137 Fri Aug 29 2014 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Craig, I meant my response to be more generic in nature, absolutely not personally directed at you.

My difficulty in these type of threads talking about deals gone bad, is it's just so easy to call someone nobody here has ever met, dishonest, unethical, lacking honor, and use $$$ signs when talking about them.

We've all been disappointed about losing out on a purchase, sometimes it just doesn't work out. Doesn't mean the guy is dishonest..stuff happens.

Ohio Oil #564150 Fri Aug 29 2014 06:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
How about riding about an hour to an estate sale where they had a nice gas pump in jacks book worth about 1200 unrestored. Said they were taking silent bids and at 3:30 that afternoon high bidder gets pump. Gave a bid and a phone number and left . Got a call about an hour before it ended and lady says you are still high bidder but we have had so much interest we will hold a live auction at 3:30. I said ok withdraw my bid she of course says what if you are still high bidder , I said withdraw mine and hung up . Greed , they were going to do that all along even had it in newspaper as silent bid.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
coheley5 #564160 Fri Aug 29 2014 09:05 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Craig,
You have to wonder if he didn't intentionally plan on playing CL and EBay both to get the most, but once he told you sold, it should have been sold. I have committed to deals before where I could have gotten more before deal was finalized. Guess I'm old school where I like to think you can give someone your word or shake their hand and it's a done deal. Have to agree, it's about greed. Reason for my pm is is to ask your opinion. I bought an Oregon Pride pump plate at Iowa Gas. It is a 9+ condition. Did not buy to sell, but a good friend wants it to pair up with his. Haven't seen any for sale lately and am trying to come up with a fair price for him. Seems like they used to be all over the place from 1k to 3k. I know you might be prejudiced being from Oregon, but was thinking you may seen them sell lately. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat Anderton

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
puregas #564249 Fri Aug 29 2014 05:39 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Pat, do not know much about pump signs, but a guy here PDXgasman would be the guy to ask. His name is Glenn and he has the Astro stations here and is very up on the prices of that item.
Thanks Craig

Craig
Craig Osbeck #564251 Fri Aug 29 2014 05:41 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Bottom line here is that I appreciate all the different viewpoints and some that I did not even think of or see that direction. Good to have the discussion about this to maybe see someone elses way of thinking.
Thanks Craig

Craig
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved