Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17 >
Topic Options
#564207 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:29 PM Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away
Gas Pump Rob Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: California
It is with heavy heart I announce that our beloved friend and fellow petroliana collector Dick Bennett (a.k.a. The Professor) passed away last night. He will be greatly missed by me and many others in our hobby. Dick provided a wealth of information for us and was an asset to the Old Gas community.
While your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated, his wife, Judy, requests that any condolences or memories of Dick be posted here instead of contacting her directly at this difficult time.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#564209 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:31 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: Gas Pump Rob]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
condolences too Judy & the family... cool
R.I.P. DB

Edited by advertologist (Fri Aug 29 2014 06:34 PM)

#564211 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:34 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: Gas Pump Rob]
JUNK KING Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oklahoma
Deepest sympathy to his family. The site will never be quite the same.

#564212 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:36 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: advertologist]
mcguffeyd1 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Sad to hear. Just chatted with him yesterday and everyday. He was a great friend and will be greatly missed. DB has taught me a lot. Oldgas will not be the same without him.

Dan McGuffey

#564213 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:37 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: JUNK KING]
Oilcanman87 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Michigan
Deepest sympathy to his family as well. Wish I had the chance to meet him. frown

#564216 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:43 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: Oilcanman87]
DWSheffer Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Hillsdale, Michigan
Damn....what a shock. DB and I had a lengthy back and forth message session Wednesday night, I can't believe it. My deepest sympathy to his family. He will DEFINITELY be missed here, his knowledge was endless, and if you were a willing listener, he was glad to share with it with you. I too wish I had a chance to meet Dick.....guess I'll have to wait until I'm on the other side. frown DB started out rough on me like he did all the other newbies, but I figured out over time that, IMO, he was weeding out the true collectors from the rest, and I grew to enjoy our online friendship.
Darin

Edited by DWSheffer (Fri Aug 29 2014 06:46 PM)

#564217 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:45 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: Oilcanman87]
s932 Offline
Company of the Month Host

Loc: cape girardeau. mo
I can honestly say Db was a friend of mine from the first day we met at Iowa gas years ago. I will miss him for sure

#564220 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:54 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: s932]
MetroPetro Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: North Jersey
Wow when I saw the title I was hoping it was some sort of prank. A real bummer for the hobby. I am glad to have met Dick in person at Iowa a few years ago. Always enjoyed his insight and opinions here, and in PMs. A HUGE loss for the hobby and oldgas.
RIP pal.

#564221 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:58 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: MetroPetro]
F40LM Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi
My prayers go to his his wife Judy. Never met him, and from what I knew of him here did not make me a fan to be honest. But have no doubt the following quote sounds just like something that would apply to him:

"I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."

Winston Churchill (1874-1965) British politician.

#564223 - Fri Aug 29 2014 06:59 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: s932]
Rabbitman Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri,USA
I can't believe it. Dick and I hit it off from the start here on Oldgas for some reason as I know a lot of folks had a hard time figuring him out. His gruff front was not the helping and truly dedicated collector and friend he was to many. I am thankful we were able to meet last year at Iowa and become friends. One truly never knows when our number is up and the good Lord calls us home. God bless Judy and the family in the weeks and months ahead. I never met Judy but the fact that Dick was originally from my neck of the woods and her maiden name being Bass was a big part of our early conversations that led to a great friendship. Rest in Peace Dick.

#564224 - Fri Aug 29 2014 07:01 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: MetroPetro]
Loyd Pierce Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Mt. Juliet, Tenn.
Wow is right! DB will for sure be missed. So sorry to hear this.
Spoke with him by email lots and he was always willing to help. I too wish I had the chance to meet him in person. Oldgas will not be the same,rest in peace Dick.

My prayers go out to Judy and the family. Rob let us know if we as a group need to do something.

#564225 - Fri Aug 29 2014 07:09 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: Loyd Pierce]
pasngas Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: new plymouth,idaho,usa
my feeling sad thoughts go out to Dick & family as he help me a lot when starting out on my Boyle Dayton collection finding hard parts for me also helped with my spel corrections when needed Laroy

#564228 - Fri Aug 29 2014 07:13 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: pasngas]
Cold Pizza Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Illinois
Extremely sad to hear this,like most of us here.
His knowledge was only surpassed by his personality in my book.
His dry sense of humor and bluntness were just one of the many reasons I tuned here.
He constantly gave me gruff for my Chicago pizza photo,saying how disgusting it looked..LOL.
We occasionally talked back & forth,and now wish I made more of an effort to tell him how much I really appreciated who he was.
My deepest condolences to his wife.
Rest In Peace Mr.Bennett.

This is one of my favorite photos of you..

Attachments
DB.jpg

Edited by Cold Pizza (Fri Aug 29 2014 07:38 PM)

#564229 - Fri Aug 29 2014 07:13 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: pasngas]
philmccauley Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bardstown, KY USA
Wow, just talked to him Monday. Sympathies to his family.

#564231 - Fri Aug 29 2014 07:14 PM Re: Our friend Dick Bennett has passed away [Re: Rabbitman]
oldnfuelish Offline
FATW Feature Host

Loc: Antioch,IL
Just got in from dinner and heard from Shawn. Words can't express howI feel right now. Just talked with db last night also.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved