Next Thread
Print Thread
#56797 Tue Jan 15 2008 03:42 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hi. A friend of mine just found what appears to be a pair of "modified" 15" globe lenses. They may have been something done by a local jobber way back when, by working over an existing pair of lenses.

Everything is reverse painted. The word "GASOLINE" appears in a curve at the bottom of the lens. That word looks to be factory done. At the top of the lens and extending down into the center are the words "STANDARD 60/62 HIGH TEST". These words are also reverse painted, but clearly were hand done by a professional sign painter. The hand lettering type style used on these words is ever so slightly different than the typeface used on "GASOLINE".

I have the feeling someone, years ago, took another brand of lens, kept the word "GASOLINE", but removed the original copy at the top and painted the STANDARD wording in. Can someone please comment on the era that Standard 60/62 Gasoline was marketed in?

Hey, it just crossed my mind that maybe this gasoline product wasn't referring to something made by one of the "Standard Oil Companies". Perhaps it refers to "Standard", as meeting some kind of perceived specifications for a high octane gas. Heck, I just don't know....which is why I'm posting here.

Any comment on value of my friend's pair of lenses would be welcomed, BUT certainly that is not what I'm after here. Just trying to solve a puzzle. Thanks for any help. Best, John in Wisconsin

[This message has been edited by Jolly-John (edited 01-15-2008).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#56798 Tue Jan 15 2008 03:52 PM
Can you send me a couple of pictures of the lenses, then I can post them on here for you? This would probably help out.

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#56799 Tue Jan 15 2008 04:09 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Ryan. Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately, I don't have any digital photos of these two lenses available to me at this time. No ability to get anything shot for a number of days, since my friend is out of town.

Sorry about that, but thank you for your offer of help. John

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved