Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Notice the backs of all of this sellers signs are not rusted up.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I know for a fact a few members of THIS SITE worked with these crooks to have signs made!!! I am SERIOUS!
Not gonna throw them under the bus BUT several know who!
When you ship these crooks rare signs to duplicate YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!
When you show these crooks what signs to make and how to make them exactly like the original, dated, makers name and all...
Then YOU are the problem!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, with all due respect, by NOT telling others who these people are who help the crooks, doesn't that make you PART of the problem by knowing but not helping to curb it. Just saying and not trying to start anything. smile

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Amen Tom ; Ron Lease-Collector ;;;;;;;;

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
KZ I knew you'd be the first one to throw me under the bus as usual...
Then you guys wonder why no one has done anything about this problem!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why??? because it is such a big secret to a few of you and by keeping mum you are enabling it.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It would be good to know who you're talking about. I don't think you'd be throwing them under the bus, just letting people make their own decisions as to who to deal with and who to avoid.
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
I know for a fact a few members of THIS SITE worked with these crooks to have signs made!!! I am SERIOUS!
Not gonna throw them under the bus BUT several know who!
When you ship these crooks rare signs to duplicate YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!
When you show these crooks what signs to make and how to make them exactly like the original, dated, makers name and all...
Then YOU are the problem!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
interesting... why would any members knowingly contribute to this problem? are they intentionally being mischievous in hopes of selling fake signs for big $$$$?

I'd have a hard time keeping those names under lock & key... time to air out that dirty laundry & let everyone viewing this site know who is contributing to this and then let them defend themselves.

anyone who thinks these India signs are not a serious problem or that they wouldn't be fooled themselves by them... throw 1 decent one into a bunch of authentic signs laying on the ground at a vendors spot at a show & they become very hard to spot.

in the past 8-10 shows, I haven't attended without seeing at least one person walking out with a fake sign that they bought assuming it was real. T-53 in Columbia, Penn Drake in Terre Haute, Good Luck PPP in Columbus, Caterpillar at Iowa Gas, etc etc

Last edited by BryceG; Wed Sep 17 2014 07:33 AM. Reason: examples added

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think Tom knows of a few members who had signs made for their own personal use. Whoever made them probably didn't just make one. I don't think the people who wanted them were setting up shop to sell repops but rather having something made they couldn't find or obtain at a reasonable cost. With that said the repopers have been educated by old gas among others in what needs to be corrected to make a better phony sign. This latest round is getting better in quality and will fool more people. Talk to your friends on oldgas but don't expect Tom to name names.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
signs made for their own personal use.

Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Talk to your friends on oldgas but don't expect Tom to name names.

still have a hard time believing that people are spending the time & money it would take to communicate with these suppliers and establish the design & sign to their specifications and wants.

and I dont blame Tom for not naming anyone, he's done what was needed already... which was raise awareness

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: BryceG
[quote=bustermonty]signs made for their own personal use.

can you point us in the direction of which signs are in question without naming individuals?... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How can anyone justify having an item repoped especially by those raping the hobby...don't people have honor or self respect???

I fail to see why anyone would try to defend their actions. Let them come forward especially if they feel they haven't done anything wrong. If they feel they have to hide and act like cowards...sounds like they are carrying some guilt. Why do something or be part of something that you publicly can't proclaim and be proud of?

When one protects people like that they only enable them and essentially become part of the problem.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
KZ I knew you'd be the first one to throw me under the bus as usual...
Then you guys wonder why no one has done anything about this problem!

+1

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I recently caught a couple scammers on Facebook selling a Pontiac 42" as original to a friend of mine. They refused to repay the guy his money back after he received the sign, noticed it was a repop, and tried to get his money back. After failed attempts by my friend and some others on the Facebook page to get the man to be honorable and refund my friend his money. He finally went silent. So, I took this guys and his wife's name with the address my friend sent the check to and I did some background checking. I quickly found out that this couple had been taken to court both criminally and civilly for defrauding two different businesses his wife was the bookkeeper for. She had wrote numerous unauthorized checks to dummy companies and her husbands company in excess of 500 grand. The court awarded the landscaping company the biggest judgement in the history of this small town in Georgia, roughly $1.2 million dollars.(as explained in the story within the first link I provided). I confirmed that it was this guy and his wife selling the sign with their photos on Facebook and the mugshot of his wife I found (link number 2). Then I posted my findings and all the links to the Facebook page at midnight last Thursday evening. By, 8 the next morning the guy amazingly popped up and called my friend. Agreed he would give him his money back and also strongly insisted he remove the posting that revealed their past indiscretions. He obliged and took it down in order to get his money back. I promised him I would not share this with anyone publicly until he got his money from them. Today he notified me that he got a certified check from them. So, tonight I am outing them out of respect for the honest people in this hobby. I felt this thread was a sign and perfect discussion to bring this up in. The couple was very concerned about their reputation in this hobby and insisted the post be removed so people wouldn't find out what they had done. Leading me to believe they fully intended on selling people signs in the future. I'm not sure if they are members of this site. But, I'm sure they will be praying on people in this hobby in the future. The guys name is Steve Reaves and his wife's name is Kelly Reaves. They are from Ball Ground, GA.
I have included links to the story about their past con job they were caught pulling and both implicated in. I also included her mugshot. It was taken ten years ago. When compares to the current photo I pulled from her Facebook page that I also provided. It is definitely the same woman. She is just ten years younger in the mugshot. Also, when the husband called my friend after this info was posted publicly on Facebook. He admitted it was him and his wife. Declaring they had, "changed." That they had made mistakes in the past and were good, honest people. Which, would be nice and possible to believe if this didn't start with them getting caught up in more fraudulent activity. This was not an accidental sale of a good repro that they thought was authentic. His wife admitted publicly in a comment, in defense of her husband, that they new it wasn't real and never said it was when they sold it. Even though they sold it for $2500.00 and clearly stated in private messages that they thought it was real. Private messages that I have copies of. I see these peoples as con artists who have found a way to make a quick buck under the table selling repros and fakes. I realize this is a lot to process. But, we very rarely actually catch a person with a history of fraudulent behavior on this level scamming people in this hobby. They are the same age, live in the same small town, and the picture from the Facebook page matches the lady in the mugshot. You be the judge.
http://www.edmarger.com/articles/milliondollarverdict.htm
http://mugshots.company/booking/2747927/KELLY-REAVES

image.jpg
Repop Pontiac sign

image.jpg
Current picture of Steve and Kelly Reaves

Last edited by Bbburke; Wed Sep 17 2014 06:49 PM.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that was a lot of reading, makes you
be more cautious of scams... cool

RANDY
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved