Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
My dad picked this up this summer and I can't find much of anything on it and it is not dated. The other side is different but I don't have that pic. Still nice condition for its age. Maybe 4'x6' in size. He was wondering if anyone had seen one or had an estimate on value/age. Thanks.

Coryell 70/Nebraska items wanted
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
rare, cool... cool

RANDY
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yup Steve that's the same sign.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Yes, that is it. He was hoping he didn't pay too much for it. He had never seen one before either and took a chance.

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H

Apparently it's worth $900 plus the premium.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: huskybob

Apparently it's worth $900 plus the premium.

Just becuase one sold for $900 doesn't make it worth $900....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Anything Pennzip is generally rarer than its Pennzoil counterpart, as Pennzoil only operated a select number of gas stations.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thx Luke. Wish my dad could figure out how too post his own stuff on old gas. I hate sticking my neck out in the value section. You can always count on one guy to say the usual stuff that adds no value to the conversation and then several others chime in. Dad asks me and I tell him the same responses I get here. Anyway maybe I should have just posted in the discussion area as to history of the sign but as soon as value comes up it gets moved here. Any actual information is appreciated and passed onto my dad. Thx, Todd.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I remember when this sign sold, I loved the sign then and I still love it today!! I dont think $900 is a terrible price, but if I was buying it, I would have preferred to get it for about $700. But I'm cheap!!
The sign has the "full bell", which changed in the late 50's the "split bell", so the sign obviously dates somewhere before, let's say 1958.
What would be great is if someone who knows some Pennzoil company history could tell us when Pennzoil got out of the gas business and dropped the Pennzip name.

Last edited by Steve C.; Thu Sep 18 2014 03:13 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Its just one of those deals when something is extremely rare. When an item is extremely rare, determining a value can be difficult. There isn't gonna be past sales to compare it to readily available. Seems to me the only past sale anyone is able to remember is when your father purchased his. I would suggest giving it a little more time and wait to see if someone can do some more extensive research and come up with something. You might find out that the value is gonna be what you determine it to be. If you have one of the few in existence, or the only one on the market for sale. It's gonna cost what your willing to take for it. It's a good thing you didn't buy it to resell or need a buyer immediately. Then it's rarity could work against you. Sit back and enjoy it. Wait until someone who really wants it bad offers you a deal too good to pass up. No telling what a Pennzoil collector might pay you to add that sign to their collection.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
South Penn Oil Company renamed its Pennzoil gasoline operations in PA, OH, WV and NY to Pennzip in 1936 to allow for wider distribution of its core product, making your sign mid/late 30's early 40's... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If, I am not mistaken? I seem to remember that Pennzoil was using the Pennzip Gasoline name up until the late 1950s - early 1960s...

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennzoil

I don't have a piece of the earlier Pennzip ad glass... But, do have a piece of Pennzoil....

From a past auction, is this image of a 4' Pennzip embossed tin sign, that was described as being from the 1930s...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Good to know Steve, I didn't know that about the bell. Lots of knowledge on Old Gas. It always feels good when I can chime in with what little I know. Thanks for the info. Did you drive down for the auction?

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Wow Bob, cool sign! Don't see too many without a bell on them. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved