Next Thread
Print Thread
#566498 Sun Sep 07 2014 03:44 PM
Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-c-1960-T...utorefresh=true

Am i missing something here. I was prepared to go $240...but $430??? Is that what it is worth or did a couple of people put in goofy bids to get it and paid too much?

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
somebody wanted that sign, 4
of them bid on it in the end
& 2 wanted it more than the
other 2- 240. would of placed
you at 4th... cool

RANDY
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Dont bid on that sellers items. Everything gets bid up so high. Literally double what they should. A little inside bidding. And the seller has 2 accounts.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: nam5072
Dont bid on that sellers items. Everything gets bid up so high. Literally double what they should. A little inside bidding. And the seller has 2 accounts.

items on his completed listings don't seem out of line,
(highest priced first)-
except the item Alex pointed out... cool

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=1312...ue74&_sop=3

RANDY
Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
LOL...It was sitting at $212 and i was ready to snipe and got run over like Wiley Coyote by the Roadrunner....Beep-Beep

Alex
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
He is a member on here..has two accounts on ebay. Recently they sold a regular sized Sky Chief sign for something crazy like 350 bucks. Signs that I have bought or sold, they have sold for double. Impossible to win any of those auctions. I know I have always been outbid big time.

C
cak Offline
C
I guess that is what the market dictates but I am with you Alex $430 is a bit too high

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: cak
I guess that is what the market dictates but I am with you Alex $430 is a bit too high

What do you base your opinion on? When was the last time you sold one?

I have been collecting Texaco for almost 10 years. First one I've seen NOS and in mint condition.

If I had a heated shop and could display it, I would pay that kind of money for it. Not to many guys would be looking at it and telling you they have one. Common 12x18 PPP's are selling for nearly $200.00. Porcelain and tin signs are everywhere, good cardboard is tough to find.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I realize that I am a cheap SOB (and many here will testify, that the cheap part is just semantics... LOL)....

And I do own some cardboard and paper signage that I paid $100+ for...

But, upwards of $200-$400+ for such signage?...

If I contemplated buying such an item, I know that the stress, would set my pacer/defibrillator off! cry sick

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well, I see the same sign (description and picture) just closed again. Wonder if the buyer backed out or what. Sold for $145 this time...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-c-1960-T...utorefresh=true

Alex
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I got this one Alex, it's a different sign from same seller. First one was "NOS"...or just really clean, this one has a few small issues that wont bother me at all especially for almost a $300 difference ! I'm going to display it with a nice matching oil can.

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was at a Texaco bulk plant auction 8-10 years ago where they had several different NOS carboard Texaco signs. The cheapest one sold for over $350 and they got expensive from there! Some sold in the $700 each range. Combine nice graphics and exceptional condition and values can skyrocket on paper and carboard signs.

I don't know much about Texaco stuff but it would be tough to buy similar signs in similar condition from some companies for $240.

I suspect the ebay seller had a couple of signs. So Alex, did you buy the sign for $145 since you were planning on bidding $240 on the first one?

Some of you guys are quick to throw out allegations of wrongdoing by the seller. I just looked at 10 pages of that seller's completed auctions and selling prices looked pretty normal.
Having multiple accounts isn't necessarily a sign of a dishonest seller. I don't know the seller but if you're going to suggest he's doing something unethical you should post some proof.

You think $350 is crazy for a Sky Chief sign? I saw one sell for $700 at an auction once. The auctioneer was amazed when a second one only sold for $350 later in the sale.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like Pete posted while I was typing. I'd say you got that sign at a VERY reasonable price. So much for the allegations that the seller has inside bidding.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Alex Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You are right, it is a different sign. i was looking at in on an I-Phone and could not see the blemishes on the sign. but the desciption was exactly the same as the NOS sign. That was a reasonable price. I was up to 120 something and was going to bid higher, but phone froze up. Glad that an Oldgasser got it.

sure wish whe I sold stuff on ebay that bids wold go goofy..LOL

Alex

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved