Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#570261 Tue Sep 23 2014 04:25 PM
K
KEVB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well gang....I was hoping to post a picture of my newest acquisition (seiberling tire sign)in the showcase section....but UPS damaged it on-route and it's now being sent back to the seller!!!

I've been looking for this sign for a while and finally came across one in very nice shape. The seller reinforced the package with a wood frame, but apparently that wasn't enough. We're now dealing with a dent and scratch. I don't have other details on the severity as their intial report is very vague. I may still buy the sign if the damage isn't too bad. The seller has offered me 100% return.

Insurance was put on the package, but it will most likely be a dispute with UPS whether it was packaged properly.

Anyone ever submit a claim with UPS and get a settlement. Thx - Kevin B

Last edited by KEVB; Tue Sep 23 2014 05:29 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
KEVB #570266 Tue Sep 23 2014 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thats a shame. I had a claim with them and they told me no, but I did not accept that answer and went over that persons head and complained and they paid up.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
texacokie #570271 Tue Sep 23 2014 05:07 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Man that is such a bummer!! You've searched and you've waited!! And then to have it jacked up in shipping because of what I have to think was carelessness. What a shame!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #570275 Tue Sep 23 2014 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guys IMO and I'm going to say this again,......Do not let anything your worried about get shipped by UPS! They are the most expensive and they have no control over how their employees handle the packages. USPS or FED-X and I still think FED-X is the best at getting it all there in one piece.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #570304 Tue Sep 23 2014 08:00 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
We ship about two restored ECOs a month by FedEx. Before we ship we take pictures of the boxes before they leave, we also inform the customers that if there is any damage to be box, take pictures before they open the box.
If the box comes in damage, we have it picked up by FedEx and returned to me, FedEx always pays for this.
Twice FedEx has dropped or whatever and damaged the two ECOs. With all the pictures, we have never had a problem and FedEx has paid us usually in less than 30 days. Never even a dispute.

Take pictures

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #570452 Wed Sep 24 2014 05:18 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Sorry to hear about the gorillas damaging your sign. The Seiberling family is from Akron, Ohio close to my backyard. So, if I find you a sign, I'll send you a pm. They are usually black and orange in color with a wooden frame, both horizontal and vertical. I usually come across them quite easily in this nick of the woods. Good Luck bud,

Goober

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
You will not be that lucky with UPS. FED ex damaged a porcelain sign in a wooden crate we had, and it was insured. They broke open the crate damaged the sign and would not pay off except for $100.00. They said it was an antique and I should have read the fine print. They sold me $500.00 worth of insurance though. Both companies use the Antiques answer. I have had good luck with the post office the one time they broke a big glass globe.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
We ship daily with UPS and never have they admitted fault,and I think they have paid off once or twice.I told their management one day after a long dispute that UPS stood for U People Suck! In our area Fed-X is about the same. I think I will start using Jack's idea with the pictures on higher priced items.

Shorty

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
katfsh #570547 Thu Sep 25 2014 07:51 AM
K
KEVB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thx. For the comments gang. I won't know the exact condition of the sign until Monday, but UPS has stated that it was properly packaged and they will pay the full amount of insurance.

Anyone of us would rather have the item over $$, but at least I'm not out of pocket.

The down side is that UPS is reimbursing the seller (shipper) the funds and returning the sign to him......even though I have paid him for the sign and the shipping.

I'm not optimistic....but I'm hoping he'll ship the sign back to me at my expense and no additional funds as he made his money from UPS......good luck on this one, right?

Goober, I may need you on the hunt for a sign!

KEVB #570552 Thu Sep 25 2014 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
keep in mind that all of the carriers have distribution centers where the trucks and such are loaded. There is a belt or caster system that pushes packages off... any package that is shipped should be able to sustain a 3-4ft drop, since that is the height of the rail.

if you think your package can't handle that, then you haven't packaged it well enough to use UPS (or FedEx).

as far as claims, I have had a few claims with UPS, 1 with FedEx, and 2 with USPS. USPS is by far the WORST with any claims. Only had a problem with UPS when it was international. but all my claims were also for less than $500 - the higher the amount of the claim, the more the shipping service provider will push back.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #570614 Thu Sep 25 2014 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have shipped over 1000 computers with UPS with only one damage, which was very minor,
though I beleive the customer did it because things didn't add up, or it happened by accident here before it left.

My rule of thumb always being " pack it so you can drop it from 3' "

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved