Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#573915 Sun Oct 12 2014 09:43 AM
JeffS Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This was my first time at Hershey. Wow, I knew it was big, but you have to see it to believe it. Anyway, in no particular order, here are some thoughts I have about the meet:

Unrestored pumps - I had expected Hershey to be similar to the pictures I have seen for Iowa Gas, except just spread out more. That was not the case. There were not many quality unrestored pumps available for sale. My first day was Thursday - maybe all of the good, unrestored pumps were snatched up on Wednesday. Anyway, this was the only disappointment I had.

Restored pumps - I expected to see at least a couple of vendors with a truckload of restored pumps for sale - all different makes and models. Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see a vendor with more than a handful of restored pumps.

Signs - definitely quite a few signs were available, with a lot of repops and fantasy signs that were not marked as such. Prices for real signs were high for the most part.

Oil Cans - I'm not a can collector, but there seemed to be a decent selection.

Display and Other Petro Stuff - there were some cool things, like the Sunoco display that was mentioned in another thread.

Other than the sheer size of the event, the thing that really captured me was how much this is a social event. A lot of old and new friends having a great time together.

Jeff

JeffS #573918 Sun Oct 12 2014 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I still think OldGas is the best place to network when looking to buy or sell pumps. Prices just seem to be lower than shows, auctions, & ebay.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #573924 Sun Oct 12 2014 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeff all your points are valid observations. The popularity of this hobby is definitely stressing the supply and as a result prices are going up and the selection is decreasing. Guys like Rob the pump guy, Tom Buckles and few others were wise in stashing pumps as they are going to get even harder to find in the future.

To restore pumps and offer for sale is risky business. You have to take many more precautions when transporting and moving them around. Plus it seems like when you are selling a texaco pump everyone wants a Shell and vice versa. Very little profit margin in restored pumps unless they are restored to order for a customer.

Good clean signs always demand premium money...you can never go wrong buying mint ORIGINAL signs.

In my opinion this hobby will continue to grow and set price records for many years to come yet.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bryce and Dave ..well said.. its the truth ! Always invest in the best even if its a bit too high now..5 years from now (if this trend keeps going)it will be worth 3 times more.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I went once in 2012 and yes it is big but as far as buying there are a lot more reasonable places to search. Being on the west coast it will probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.I thought our prices were high out here on signage but I think the east coast has us beat.

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
JeffS #573938 Sun Oct 12 2014 11:37 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
for Jeff,,,, if you didn't go till Thursday, you missed a lot, trust me,, Miles Little goes there on Monday ( just like Iowa and Columbus ) and is driving around until Thursday buying everything good and he is all done by then.. I always go Tuesday,,, and go home Friday morning.. Maybe it doesn't look like a lot of pumps, thats because it's all spread out,,, don't forget it takes a lot of acreage to host 10,000 vendors. Compared to the other gas and oil shows. In fact you can't see all of it in 3 days.

Last edited by Wes Hague; Sun Oct 12 2014 11:38 AM.

Wes.......
Wes Hague #573944 Sun Oct 12 2014 12:13 PM
JeffS Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
for Jeff,,,, if you didn't go till Thursday, you missed a lot, trust me,, Miles Little goes there on Monday ( just like Iowa and Columbus ) and is driving around until Thursday buying everything good and he is all done by then.. I always go Tuesday,,, and go home Friday morning.. Maybe it doesn't look like a lot of pumps, thats because it's all spread out,,, don't forget it takes a lot of acreage to host 10,000 vendors. Compared to the other gas and oil shows. In fact you can't see all of it in 3 days.

I took the number of vendors into account and things being spread out. I just didn't see a single vendor with more than a 3 to 4 unrestored pumps. With the aura around Hershey, I incorrectly expected to see a couple of guys with a truckload of pumps.

Wes Hague #573945 Sun Oct 12 2014 12:15 PM
JeffS Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
Miles Little goes there on Monday

Well, next year he's going to have company. I'll be there early and won't make the same mistake as I did this year. whistle

JeffS #573958 Sun Oct 12 2014 01:00 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
FYI. You can't get in until Tuesday

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Just the more reason to not make the long trip for bad results if some get in the day before.

FYI. You can't get in until Tuesday

Craig
Craig Osbeck #573972 Sun Oct 12 2014 02:01 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
You mentioned Sunoco "display", are you referring to the Anty-Nok sign or was there more?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
JeffS #573974 Sun Oct 12 2014 02:16 PM
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
I brought 7 unrestored. Cosy had about a dozen unrestored. For an auto swap meet there's a fair amount of pumps to be found. I just missed a complete Erie with top. A lot of being in the right place at the right time.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Craig Osbeck #573978 Sun Oct 12 2014 02:48 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Craig, Miles, like a lot of us arrive on Monday. We cannot get in until Tuesday. There is no one there except tent guys installing on Monday. You misunderstood the comment made above. Tuesday is set up day and we sell as we set up. Always has been that way. Makes for a level playing field, if you are willing to be there on Tuesday. The later in the week, the less there is to buy. By Saturday morning, some vendors have left. We did a total of $120.00 for the whole of Saturday and listened to people whine about not many vendors and not much to buy....They were looking for the 50% deals so we wouldn't have to bother to load it! Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #574003 Sun Oct 12 2014 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i was happy, it was my 1st time there got a lot of things i was looking for. eco parts, gill globe bodies, globe lens, signs ect had a cart it was full most of the time a lot of walking but well worth it, held back on a few things went back and they were gone, can't wait till next year

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
marky #574011 Sun Oct 12 2014 05:40 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This was my second year at Hershey and I too felt the amount of quality petro was not as good as it was last year. I arrived Tuesday morning and did find a few nice things but did come home with money in my pocket. Maybe I did not notice it last year but there was a huge presence of Foreign buyers

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved