Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57613 Fri Apr 25 2003 06:33 AM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am finishing up my Tokheim 300 and I am having some problems with the top. First of all, when the top sits on the pump without tightening it down it sits flush on the shoulders of the pump and looks good. However, the doors just barely hit the bottom of the stainless trim on the top even when adjusted totally out. Is there a rubber gasket that fits on the top where it rests on the shoulders or does the top sit up off the shoulders a little bit???

Secondly and this may be related to my other problem, when I tighten the bolts on the top down and start to draw pressure the corner of the top starts to pull up. The more I tighten the more it pulls up. I have tried to keep pressure on it to hold it down but I cannot keep it down. What can I do to stop this???

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#57614 Fri Apr 25 2003 08:18 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
You will have more answers then just mine, on the pumps that I've done where I had problems like this, I lossen the sides all the bolts,tighten the top to fit the sides, then from the inside if possible I use a pry bar and lift the sides up then tighten one bolt on each side, then do the other side , the door hinge are bolted to the frame but check and see if there not up side down or on the wrong side, some hinges are not in the middle of the bracket, but up or down to make room for ajustments , had this problem once my self , it will make you mad , untill you see it . and you can use washers under the pins to ajust the doors also , take your time and just look at it , good luck .

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 04-25-2003).]

#57615 Fri Apr 25 2003 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its like a Chinese Puzzle or hangin' doors on a Chevy -- Dwaines right just mess with it here and there till everythings square.
hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#57616 Fri Apr 25 2003 08:37 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Of the short Tokheims Ive had, the 39 has bolts that fasten vertically at four points from the top through the top frame plate. The 300 top is a hollow shell and fastens with brackets that bolt horizontally on the backside of the TOKHEIM strip thru the top.
The door then fits the lower leading edge of the strip and elevates up under the strip as the lock pawl is turned at the center of the door. Is it possible you are using a 39 top on a 300 ? The 300 top can be raised just off the top of the side panels by loosening the front bolts ? Also because the frames are bolt together channel, make sure the frame is perfectly square all the way around taking into effect the top rails taper outward 1" as you go to the base.
Larry

[This message has been edited by PremoPetrol (edited 04-25-2003).]

larry ivy
#57617 Fri Apr 25 2003 10:23 AM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It is a 300 top that has the brackets that bolt horizontal through the TOKHEIM stainless steel strip and through the top. The bracket then bolts to the top frame. I am wondering if the brackets that bolt to the frame and hold the top are bent or twisting some which raises the top when they are tightened???

The only locking mechanism on the doors is the cam locks. The doors just open and close straight when unlocked. They do not raise up like a 39.

Thanks for everyones input so far!

[This message has been edited by keithia (edited 04-25-2003).]

#57618 Fri Apr 25 2003 11:47 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Okay, when you compare the two brackets to each other is one twisted or bent ? Also do both fit flush to the back curve of the top ?
Is the frame tweaked at the top where the plate bolts ? I just looked at a 39 I am working on. I built the frame and it is Exactly square. Still, the arch cutout on the sides does not PERFECTLY follow the contour of the top of the panels. That is caused more from the side panels than the top. The top moulded portion of the side panels is different as day and night, Ive had some that you would swear were not pressed from the same dies. Some are more squared in at the top and some are much more curved, same for the sides. Sorry I cant be of more help without seeing the pump.
Larry

[This message has been edited by PremoPetrol (edited 04-25-2003).]

larry ivy
#57619 Fri Apr 25 2003 01:40 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
The tops may be done on different dies on any part for anything. Some of the reasons are; too much demand for 1 set of dies to produce, dies wearing out, 2 or more vendors doing pressing (and mfg the dies). Dies would be done to prints or samples and could vary slightly, the main parameter being that they assemble to mating pieces and work. So if the pumps were made from 55 -61 (for example) the early tops could vary a bit from late ones. So it is probably a matter of extending a slot, twisting a bracket or shimming. Hope you get it together......Dodogas

#57620 Fri Apr 25 2003 02:47 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I think you guys are right. I think it is the bracket that holds the top to the frame. One side fit in very nicely and fits the shape of the top while the other does not fit as nice and fits in pretty tight with a gap in the corner where the top curves. I will take them back apart and compare the one with the other and adjust it as needed and see if that helps. I don't think it can be anything else but those brackets causing my problem.

Thanks,

Keith

#57621 Sun Apr 27 2003 08:11 AM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank you Premo, Dwaine, Hubba, and Dodo for your help and ideas!! I removed the brackets from the top and mounted them directly to the pump. I then tightened them down and as they tightened up I could see them moving. Turns out both brackets were bent and twisting when tightened up. So I went and bent them back straight right on the pump and then mounted them back up to the top. I could tell just by sitting the top back on that it was much better. I tightened the bolts back up and it stayed in place.

I also found out I had my stainless steel trim mounted on about an 1/8 inch or so to low which gave me the clearance I needed for the doors.

Boy did I learn alot from doing this pump!!!

Thanks again to everyone for your help and ideas.

Keith

#57622 Sun Apr 27 2003 08:18 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Ya gotta like a story with a HAPPY ending!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved