Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DCpate #576525 Fri Oct 24 2014 10:29 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Neil...I'm pretty sure the first word of a new sentence is supposed to have a capitol letter....since you want to correct my typing, thought I 'd point that out. And K.W....the person has a decision as to back out or not, that is the same situation I pointed out.

I think it's interesting that some people here have no problem taking advantage of the ignorance of that seller when it comes to his lack of knowledge about the value of his sign.... but those same people want to protect the ignorance of a buyer who spends too much money on a sign...to me that seems odd.

Last edited by really; Fri Oct 24 2014 10:32 PM.
really #576526 Fri Oct 24 2014 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
spoken like the repo seller you are, Lacie51, Jerry Westerfield or whomever you may be, doesn't matter. No wonder you're so mad at Paypal and ebay as well as the fine folks on Oldgas that expose you and your ilk. i'm sure you're very frustrated, it shows.

DCpate #576527 Fri Oct 24 2014 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I respect YOUR opinion Chad but are you saying small claims judges don't want to do small claims?
Originally Posted By: DCpate

Especially on a flimsy $400 small claims case that any judge would find ridiculous and a waste of the court's time. "But Judge it's worth $1500! We ask for specific performance!"

Whatever

Neil Gerrard #576528 Fri Oct 24 2014 10:47 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Neil......grow up...do you every bother to say anything factual? All you do is throw out unfounded accusations? You've gotten so far off subject..."ilk" etc....you can have it all to yourself now.

Last edited by really; Fri Oct 24 2014 10:48 PM.
Neil Gerrard #576530 Fri Oct 24 2014 10:59 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Thanks Neal. I think the case is a joke and the attorney used the threat of legal process knowing that... There's a host of issues with the case and this was done via strong arm tactics.

Perhaps I'm too much a bleeding heart about the deal, but I wonder if the guy might have a family kids, maybe he needs that extra grand ($1000), who knows. His "word" to a bunch of collectors is meaningless...

And anyone who knows the "law" knows how selectively it is enforced. And again, good luck filing the lawsuit, serving him, getting to court... There's so much wrong with the idea, just a bunch of puffery...

The same thing happened to me a few years back. Bought a beautiful porcelain Coke sign on EBay, a buy it now for $500. Worth $1500+ Guy never contacted me and I didn't even bother leaving negative feedback... Different strokes I guess

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
DCpate #576531 Fri Oct 24 2014 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see your point Chad, it was just nice to see someone do what's right. Everyone has an out these days, a justification for their actions and if you can sleep at night then I guess it's all good. There could be lots of reasons the seller did what he or she did. this happened to me on a car years ago and it was for nothing but pure greed, the same thing that drives the repo sellers like Lacie51 and treasureray. I ended up paying extra for a car I had a deposit on, now I take my trailer and cash.

Neil Gerrard #576532 Fri Oct 24 2014 11:45 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
DCPate, you're making statements based on ignorance and supposition. Yes, I contacted the seller for Eric as I had offered to do. And I explained to him what a contract is and how it is enforced. The guy lied to me up one side and down the other, even telling me at one point that he had "accidentally" listed the item and that he never intended to sell it. When I brought up the fact that I knew it had been on Craigslist as well and that he had, in fact, contacted me (albeit unbeknownst to him) via email to tell me the sign had sold through ebay, his tune quickly changed. It was painfully obvious to me what his real motivation was. I also explained to him that if he sells the sign to someone else THAT person is civilly liable for tortious interference with a contract. The seller then quickly downshifted in to "how much will he (Eric) give me for it?" Long story short, my real role in this whole thing was brokering a deal and finding a solution. I'll leave it to Eric to chime in if he wants (although I can't think of a reason why he would) about the final sales price but it was more than the ebay sales price and, I believe, a fair outcome for all...even the sleezball seller.

Unfortunately in my line of work I can't always feel proud of everything I do, but this one I feel pretty darned good about.

Enjoy your sign, Eric!

P.S. Getting a lawsuit filed, getting him served and getting to court takes me about five days...a little less if I'm in a hurry...no "puffery" involved.

Last edited by petropumps; Sat Oct 25 2014 12:04 AM.
petropumps #576537 Sat Oct 25 2014 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I see both sides in this discussion but IMO in situations like this its best to keep it simple. And I was taught a deal is a deal. And basically when you click the BIN that's the handshake and when you pay, the deals done . But oh no, wait, a handshake might not mean what it used to in America..... I see it more and more.
A lot of guys hammer on sellers for asking too much for the items they list on ebay. By doing this, the seller can always come down. It used to be hard to come up after an item sold, but according to some here, you should be able to grab the item back, simply say you changed your mind and sell it to the guy who offered more - that's bull ***** IMO.

Last edited by JimT; Sat Oct 25 2014 04:34 AM. Reason: a hi-fin an sum spellun
petropumps #576542 Sat Oct 25 2014 05:17 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Appreciate the reply counselor. Are you sure you're not violating any atty-client privilege in discussing the settlement of this MAJOR civil case? ha

Reasonable minds can differ... I stand by my opinions stated.

Good luck in the hunt to all.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
DCpate #576543 Sat Oct 25 2014 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: DCpate
....His "word" to a bunch of collectors is meaningless...

His "word" is meaningless to himself as well. In the overall scheme of things NONE of the other issues pro or con really matter.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Sat Oct 25 2014 05:53 AM.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
DCpate #576565 Sat Oct 25 2014 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't think it was ever going to Indiana.

bustermonty #576568 Sat Oct 25 2014 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I don't see this as 'strong arming' anyone - I see this as enforcing a contract, plain and simple...

...kudos to Jeff for offering to help out in this situation...I know if I were in the same boat as Eric, I'd welcome the assistance...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #576587 Sat Oct 25 2014 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reading through this thread and it's pretty easy to note who is ethical and who isn't.

Seller set the price. Offered it for sale. Accepted the payment.

Then seller is contacted by a scumbag and decides to renege on a legally binding contract.

A lawyer ensures no laws are broken and that the letter of the law is followed.

Pretty clear to me that the seller, the scumbag and any supporters or sympathizers are the ones that need to pull theirs heads out of the ground.

How can anyone find fault with what the buyer and the lawyer did?

It saddens me to note that a clear set of circumstances like this has to be debated. Where are we headed as a society when morals and ethic's can be so unclear to so many? I'm just glad that I lived the majority of my life during better times...when men were honorable and honor was something we all understood.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sat Oct 25 2014 10:40 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #576605 Sat Oct 25 2014 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree that once he offered it for sale and sold it his only choice was to man up and let the buyer have it.
I once sold a motorcycle and before the first guy got there second guy came by and offered twice as much.
Needless to say it was tempting but I stuck to my word. Having said that Eric knew he was getting a smoking deal yet felt compelled to not let seller know he was a fool for letting it go so cheap.
Everyone harps on the pickers but even they will tell a guy you're to cheap and I'm going to stand up and pay you a fair price more than you asked.
Seller should stick by his deal but buyer should at least feel some remorse for taking candy from a baby.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
JUNK KING #576619 Sat Oct 25 2014 02:37 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
So it sounds like (to a very select few) I was supposed to click the buy it now button. Pay the seller (antique dealer/picker who is a power seller with 5000+ feedback) what his asking price was than send him a request to pay more because he didnt ask enough? Can someone tell me if they've ever heard of such a thing on ebay? Now I have (more than once) been in a situation at a yard sale or local inquiry to buy items where they asked me for a fair offer because I inquired and my price was 3x what they would have asked for it and I was happy to pay it.

For what it's worth... to those who feel bad for this seller (for some reason) rest assured I did pay more than the auction price to get the sign. Even though I wasn't obligated to do so. I wanted to make sure the seller had no hard feelings and all was well.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved