Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#572266 Fri Oct 03 2014 11:20 AM
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i was wondering if anyone has restored a filpruf rack, looking for suggestions.
i really don't want to use vinyl graphics want to either get hand painted of silk screen for the panels, also what do i use on the metal frame and corner pieces was thinking if a chrome shop could do some type of metal coating
not chrome maybe a cadmium coating or some type of chemical treatment like that any help would be great, here is a pic of my rack now
marky

filpruf rack bb.jpg
Last edited by marky; Fri Oct 03 2014 11:22 AM.

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would start over with blank pieces over steel.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this is how I re-did mine, used red, silver & black on the rack- found the 2 larger signs on ebay & had a sign painter re-do the smaller ones- more pictures?... cool

IMG_1230[1].JPG

RANDY
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
more pics please

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
more pictures as requested:... cool
legs & handle - black
bottle rack & pieces that hold in the signs- silver
hardware coming up too the handle- red

IMG_1231[1].JPG IMG_1232[1].JPG IMG_1233[1].JPG IMG_1234[1].JPG

RANDY
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
thanks randy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is mine I have been working on for the past two years. Was going to paint the original panels but ended up just looking for decent original ones. Just need the two sides in A grade

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
its so funny looking online at different racks here and online very seldom did the all have the same bottles

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Im working on mine as well. I am going to attempt to spray paint the rack in a silver color and match it to the original coating. I would try to get original signs they are pretty easy to find. The tough signs are the small end ones. Good luck.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am just about ready to sell my rack and bottles. I have been getting fed up looking at it day in and day out. Seems like a never ending battle with it!
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Marky,

Ill throw out a few ideas, see if its helpful at all! You could bead or sand blast the wire frame and have it bright zinc plated, no one does cadmium anymore it's too poisonous. It's cheap if you find the right place, leaves a finish I would think would be close to original. My cost locally would be about $30.

For the signs, I would find a decent picture of what you want. Get a straight on shot. Upload the file to www.vectormagic and have them vectorize it for you. It will cost about $25. Now there will be no artwork charges at the printer. Get a sign company to print the graphics for you on vinyl (ask for bubble free placing vinyl). Paint new metal panels red. Place vinyl decals on panels carefully avoiding bubbles. Clear coat the panels and it will look like they are painted on, beware any bubbles in the vinyl will be magnified by the clearcoat.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I found someone local to me that does cadmium coating but he said
it would be $150 which I thought was kinda high

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah, thats high. If he is doing actual cadmium plating, it is an expensive process and it will not look right for what you have, it leaves a goldish finish, like car door latches. Most places are using zinc phosphate (I think I got that right) as a substitute for cadmium. I dont think you want that anyway, bright zinc will look better and be cheaper, its a silver finish. The place I go to in Oshkosh, WI has a minium lot charge of $30 for bright zinc and I have not yet gone over that with them.

I was looking for someone to do cadmium plating to replate some mustang parts and found that almost no one does it anymore, and their expensive, apparently the regulations against cadmium plating are really high.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i found a place local to me locally to cadmium plating, i'm gonna plate one of my cheaper racks to see how it comes out, will be done sat, pics to follow over the weekend
marky

marky Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
got the shell rack this morning to test out instead of using my filpruf rack
here is a pic of the cadmium plating i thought it came out nice cost me $50 to have sandblasted and plated, any thoughts or opinions would be great
marky

shell rack.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved