Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#577489 Wed Oct 29 2014 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So we have all been without DB for 2 months as of today. I still check my emails and PM's hoping to see one flashing with Dick's name on it, still waiting on that one. Guess God is a little slow when it comes to getting internet or maybe they ran outta line between here and there. Still waiting on my call back from the internet company.
I got a stack of cans that i wish i could send and have relidded but shipping is ridiculous!!
I know that alot of us will never be the same without the professor, just wanted to say that he is gone but never forgotten.
RIP my friend, you are missed....

On a side note, i have been thinking about taking on some relidding projects. If anyone has an idea to where i can get equipment please let me know. I am interested in doing quart cans for the time being. Please send me a PM if you have any suggestions.

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
mcguffeyd1 #577497 Wed Oct 29 2014 06:51 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm with you. I miss his wisdom on this forum.

racecop #577509 Wed Oct 29 2014 07:54 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Yes A lot of us feel the same about our freind DB.

Gene

azjockey #577513 Wed Oct 29 2014 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yup miss the wisdom delivered with candor sarcasm and humor.
As to equipment I would ask GPR he might have a lead for you Dan.

Gasman84470 #577521 Wed Oct 29 2014 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Still have the PM from him where I still look for him to read my reply!

Keep us posted and good Luck Dan, hopefully Rob can help you find a way to take over DB's can repairs!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #577523 Wed Oct 29 2014 10:00 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have been waiting for someone to post this kind of "Where do we go from here, now that DB is gone." We all feel a personal relationship to him, for me, he is the one that did 1/5 of all the values for my first gas pump ID pump, then because of our relationship, I asked him to do all the values for my second book. At the time of his passing, we were discussing him doing the values for the third book.

Naturally, I am trying to work with someone who will take his place doing the values.

We all looked to him to do something special for each one of us. We enjoyed his smart comments, that was DB, but more than that was the answers to almost every question about something to do with a very rare gas pump. I get calls from people thinking I am a gas pump expert, I am NOT, I just have a lot of literature and have used it to write some books. The true expert was DB, he knew more about gas pumps than....no need to finish this. Everyday on this site a question comes up with only an answer that could have been given us by DB.

Now it is time for the rest of old timers to step forward and try to answer questions posted here. We don't have to copy the way DB answered most questions, we each have to establish our way of answering.

We all have to wait to see what will be done with not only his collection, but what is in his computer. Hopefully his wife will seek guidance from who is not self serving and will do the best for her and the hobby.

DB, I not only miss you, but is miss the oranges.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #577541 Thu Oct 30 2014 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The suggestion to ask GPR to see if he had a lead on the equipment sure sounds like using one of DB's friends to get at DB's stuff, and is not cool!

If and when DB's wife is ready to part with DB's stuff she'll let someone know. I'd have a very low opinion of anyone that approaches her about buying any of DB's stuff until two or three years have passed. Give the lady a chance to work through the grieving process.

She has no obligation to do what's best for the hobby. I don't think those in the hobby could even agree on what would be best for the hobby. She needs to do what's best for her.

We miss ya DB.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #577545 Thu Oct 30 2014 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I honestly miss someone telling me weekly I look like puke.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #577558 Thu Oct 30 2014 07:23 AM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Lastgas 15 in a way is right.
Judy has appointed two of Dick Bennetts closest freinds to organizs and price most of his collection. Their are a few things that Judy will keep for her-self, and I think that is great. Both people I consider freinds and are as honest as can be. I do know when peices are ready for sell, people will be contacted. I would hope everyone will give it time to get it set up without hounding JUDY. She is a very neat person, and was very strong at Dick's celebration of life services.
I would like to say thanks for everyone who donated toward that cause . I was their at the house when she opened the card from old gas after services. And Jack, it was a really nice card.
Not a dry eye in the room, including mine.
In closing; Please let it get set-up.
DO-NOT Hound JUDY and give her time.
mcguffeyd1 - MAybe wireless
Cold Pizza- Come on. It does look like puke. Be real

Gene

azjockey #577562 Thu Oct 30 2014 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gene as you know that was not my intention. It is the failing of a line written without context. I was there and do respect Judy's wishes and common sense to leave his collection alone until its time, whenever that is. However the machines used for lidding were not a part of the collection and were part of a mess, Dick said so himself. If someone were to continue on with his enterprise then a bit of DBs legacy would live on.

azjockey #577565 Thu Oct 30 2014 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes, 2 months and it feels as if forever... I find myself picking up the phone and/or starting an email to db, most everyday...

It is like my mind, is not accepting that this isn't just a bad joke....

Next to my desk is one of the "Tydol Switch plate covers" he made me... In the 1/2 bath is another, plus the switch plate at the back door... In the house and garage are cans and other items that db made for me and/or just gave me...

Most everywhere I look, is a pleasant reminder of my friend...

Nicole, contacted me the other day... She says She misses the Oldgas Community, especially db... Because of circumstances... She has found it better, that she move in a different direction with her life...

She sent me one of her paintings. It is a small nod to our Hobby and I have it hanging with the Oil Company Game Boards and Her other Painting...

I admit, I probably send maybe too much time looking at it. As it reminds me of old Friends that I have in the Hobby and those that are gone...

db and Nicole had become very good friends and I know He would have enjoyed the picture, She gave me... And He also, would have thought that the rest of Oldgas would/should also enjoy the talent of this very special Lady...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Lastgas15 #577573 Thu Oct 30 2014 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
The suggestion to ask GPR to see if he had a lead on the equipment sure sounds like using one of DB's friends to get at DB's stuff, and is not cool!

If and when DB's wife is ready to part with DB's stuff she'll let someone know. I'd have a very low opinion of anyone that approaches her about buying any of DB's stuff until two or three years have passed. Give the lady a chance to work through the grieving process.

She has no obligation to do what's best for the hobby. I don't think those in the hobby could even agree on what would be best for the hobby. She needs to do what's best for her.

We miss ya DB.

IMO Lastgas, I don't know you (no name in your profile) but I think your taking this conversation wrong. Having Dan contact Rob so that he knows that if it becomes available is not like showing up at Judy's house to hound her! I miss DB like most everyone on here and not one of us probably can understand how Judy's handling his death or anything at this point. But what DB meant to this hobby is well known and I believe myself that at some point when the time is right DB himself would love someone to keep his Oil Can dynasty going.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #577579 Thu Oct 30 2014 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's been a long 2 months since we lost Dick Bennett. It is still tough to not see all his knowledge and humor shown in the posts! He meant so much to this hobby, his wealth of knowledge was immense. We all miss him, but we must move on. I think it would be good to see somebody try and start the relidding process. Someone has gotta keep it going! RIP DB.

Braden Splichal

azjockey #577580 Thu Oct 30 2014 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
I honestly miss someone telling me weekly I look like puke.

Originally Posted By: azjockey
Cold Pizza- Come on. It does look like puke. Be real

Gene

Thank you Gene,that's all I ask.

Last edited by Cold Pizza; Thu Oct 30 2014 11:04 AM.
Cold Pizza #577581 Thu Oct 30 2014 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I miss my friend every day.. Lately have been cleaning out my garage,and find stuff I received from him all around. Decals he made,parts, silly stuff I guess. One thing I have found that is giving me a lot of enjoyment is emails. I was cleaning up my. Ipad( we all know what Ihe thought of those!lol) and found emails going back years that I had thought were long deleted. Literally hundreds of em,from smart aleck comments,bad and sometimes dirty jokes(usually always funny,) and conversations about pumps and oldgas!itsnot the same,but they all bring a big smile to my face.RIP Dick, you were one of a kind!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved