Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
oldnfuelish #577589 Thu Oct 30 2014 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doesn't seem like 2 months, still fresh and still hurts. Dick made this a better place and on an upbeat note I think it will last as long as those who knew him and remember him keep his spirit alive.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Gasman84470 #577600 Thu Oct 30 2014 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Gasman84470
However the machines used for lidding were not a part of the collection and were part of a mess, Dick said so himself. If someone were to continue on with his enterprise then a bit of DBs legacy would live on.

Like sharks circling, with the smell of blood in the water... The Re-lidding machines, ARE a part of the collection!

Has ANYBODY, asked Dick, to teach them about re-lidding cans?
Has ANYBODY, asked Dick, to teach them about how to fix cans?
Has ANYBODY, asked Dick, to teach them about the decal making process?
Has ANYBODY, asked Dick, to teach them about how to use "Photoshop"?
Has ANYBODY, asked Dick, to teach them about the Union Oil Company?
Has ANYBODY, asked Dick, to teach them about how to copy, and make reproduction parts?
Has ANYBODY, asked Dick, to teach them about metal casting?

My Dear friend is GONE NOW!!! Please allow him, to Rest in Peace! Please allow, his Wife, to recover from this. Please allow, his FRIENDS, to recover from this!!!

He is GONE NOW!!! If you wish of ANY of this, and have not obtained any of it... Then maybe you should have asked, BEFORE he left us!!!

And YES... I did ask...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Amen to that Nick, bickering will serve no purpose but bring this site down and DB would NOT want that. Miss him too as one of the older guys on here.

1 BAD ZR1 #577607 Thu Oct 30 2014 05:29 PM
I always liked to hear Dick's opinions, even though I often asked him privately to soften his public posts a bit. I valued his perspective on the statements and actions of many people in the hobby. He wasn't shy about privately recommending what I could do about a situation or person.

I wish that I had asked to learn more from Dick. Not sure I ever had the capacity to retain all his knowledge, not to mention his skills in old-school and computer techniques. I guess I just thought he'd last a long time and there was no rush.

If the timing of DB's demise were different, maybe he could have had time to take on an apprentice or several. "DB and the Grasshopper" could have been a story that we'd enjoy for the ages. And the grasshopper apprentice would have stories to tell as well.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #577615 Thu Oct 30 2014 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Oldgas

I wish that I had asked to learn more from Dick. Not sure I ever had the capacity to retain all his knowledge, not to mention his skills in old-school and computer techniques. I guess I just thought he'd last a long time and there was no rush.

If the timing of DB's demise were different, maybe he could have had time to take on an apprentice or several. "DB and the Grasshopper" could have been a story that we'd enjoy for the ages. And the grasshopper apprentice would have stories to tell as well.

Well said Jim...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Oldgas #577622 Thu Oct 30 2014 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick, Your avatar does look like puke.

Mick, Most of DB's and my email conversations got deleted but I found several recently. They put a smile on my face when I read them recently.

Jeff, Good to see you posting.

Jim, You're right, when I was a moderator DB wasn't shy about recommending what to do about a situation or person!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Oldgas #577623 Thu Oct 30 2014 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
To those of you that care, Dick and I had a good conversion about can repair and relidding them. He was a hard one to crack and share the secrets of the art he mastered. I have no intentions of contacting GPR or Judy about DB's machines he had. I will be buying my own and have been contacted by a member with some for sale. Dick and I had talks about how to make his cans better. He asked my opinions on what types of labels to use and was debating on vinyls the week before he left us.
I am so disappointed at some members for taking this thread the wrong way. Dick was a good friend and never once have I wondered what I could get from him in monetary gain. Seems like some try to cause controversy on any topic they can
Judy and the family are in my prayers daily as DB was a great mentor to me. I plan on doing cans in the near future as a tribute to a good friend. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know or if you want to do can lidding be my guest.

Thanks to all that posted positive comments.

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
mcguffeyd1 #577670 Fri Oct 31 2014 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He is gone but will never be forgotten.

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
st.rod #577673 Fri Oct 31 2014 06:05 AM
I miss the emails from him. He ALWAYS put DB in the subject line, I always thought it was funny. I have never put Ryan in the subject line of an email to somebody..

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun
I miss the emails from him. He ALWAYS put DB in the subject line, I always thought it was funny. I have never put Ryan in the subject line of an email to somebody..

Same for me, Ryan. It actually made his emails stand out from the ton of messages that I usually get.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #577703 Fri Oct 31 2014 09:39 AM
He hauled my drag boat from out west a few years ago. He had a blast hauling that thing around. He sent me more emails than you can imagine with different things photoshopped in the boat. He filled the thing up with oranges, peels, and anything else he could fit in there. He was an all around good dude...

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
For sure DB is missed. I was pretty green to computers,web sites,true collectors,and close friendships that old time members had formed over the years. I Contacted a member here that no longer posted much asking some questions and then DB and several others seemed to follow my post around different forums. Maybe I scared some thinking I was a thief in the night, maybe they wanted to figure me out,maybe they just wanted to help. I sure knew more about members then they knew about me as I read old post for weeks before posting my first post. I say all this to just say DB was a hard guy to take some times just had to let it roll off your back and keep being a pest to get the correct answer in a newbie form I could grasps. I considered him a friend and hope he seen me as the same. R.I.P. Dick

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #577720 Fri Oct 31 2014 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ahhh... good ol' DB. Sadly, I don't save my emails, so I do not have many from him, only the ones from the last few times we corresponded. Just days before he passed, I believe he bought a bunch of items and amongst the bunch, was a Tok 39 door that had a Red Lion decal still on it. He said he had it sold immediately, seems he just wanted to rub it in as he likely knew I would have wanted it.

Our last conversation was about a company called EAST-WEST Gasoline. I sent him some images showing pumps with their decals and some signs. It must have been a small west coast company as I haven't been able to find much on it. DB hadn't heard of it before nor did he recall seeing any items from the company. Anyways, one of the images shows the Gilmore flagman. The initial version where face/eyes have an "Oriental" characteristic. He sent this back to me with a little DB Photoshop humor. Thought I'd share...

IMG_0018.jpg Dominic_zpse3018969.jpg

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
GILMORE #577736 Fri Oct 31 2014 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just find it so funny that he emailed so many of us and many of us including me had no idea. This hole time I thought I was special lol. Miss you buddy

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved