Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
So I found an old cardboard/posterboard Coke sign up in the rafters of a garage the other day. Because of the graphics, I just couldn't leave her to rot. Anyone have any experience with cleaning the dust/dirt/mud off of the sign without damaging the graphic. Didn't know if a damp cloth is the only way or something else. Would love to clean her up and hang in the workshop. Sort of reminds me of Betty Drapper off of Mad Men.

Also, any info on the sign would be fantastic! I don't have any experience in the Coke department.

Thanks

coke.jpg

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I'd find out the value on that piece first before attempting personal cleaning. If it is pretty expensive I would actually suggest professional restoration. It might run 300-400 but you'll have a far better piece in better condition.

If you prefer attempting it yourself.... Rather than a damp cloth for first cleaning, I'd suggest a fine haired extra soft brush. It will do far less destruction than moisture of any kind.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I really hadn't considered the likelihood of it being valuable until talking with someone last night. He mentioned professional restoration also. Any Coke experts out there have an idea on value to restoration cost? I scanned ebay and the web with no luck for this particular sign.

I think she would clean up well. However, she does have some scratches, on tear, and some edge issues.

Last edited by TheGriffin; Fri Nov 07 2014 10:14 AM.

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
profesionnel restoration on such a large paper poster will cost around 400 to 600 $ for cleaning and linenbacking

it looks like dust, you can still use a soft paper tissue, with a drop of water and rub carefully, I did it with some coke poster and got a good result

value on coke items for petretti's guide are for perfect item in unrestored condition so as it is it's worth on rage of 60 to 80 $ no more, it would be higher if the cardboard was in pristine condition. like most antique items condition is the most important thing

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Nucky, unless that cardboard is trash underneath the dust/dirt in the US it will bring better than 60-80.

OP... Found this ebay listing for reference of what it looks like underneath the dust.

Ebay listing Refreshing Coca Cola

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
That's her Paul! Thanks. Now if she would clean up, she can be the girlfriend in the garage.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
ok so based on my experience and collection for years and what I see those posters sells for ( not the asking price but the price it actually sells for ) thoses goes around 60 to 80 for this condition, water stains, holes, ripped part, missing part, cut part, stickers, writing,... just look on ebay at sold listing and for similar condition maximum are 100 $ it will be higher if the poster would have been in beter condition. condition condition condition that's the most important thing

I have a rare Haddon sunblom coca cola cardboard from the 1930's, with water damage but it's not worth much as the condition is not great even if the cardboard is rare

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Likewise, I've sold vintage cardboard Coca Cola for more than 100 without a frame and damaged because they are desirable and scarce here.

And I'll grant you it's not in the greatest condition, but condition is only one factor even in cardboard. Scarcity and overall appeal are others especially if his cleans up better than yours did.

Ebay isn't a place I'd market poor condition cardboard unless it was rare enough to warrant it. Ebay is great for spot valuations, but can and often can be trumped locally if the market is strong enough in one's own area. If you're sitting in the middle of Idaho with no one to sell to, then online might be the only option though.

Experience does vary, that's why any valuation is merely opinion at any point in time and place.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
the problem is that you are a seller and I'm a collector, different point of view on putting a value on an item...

to came back on the subject, you can try to remove the dust gently from the cardboard to get back on the original color

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
LOL, you're a certain type of collector.

BTW, saw a suggestion about using an artist's eraser for cleaning.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the input and help. I'll post pictures if I can get her clean

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd do like Paul says and try a damp soft cloth. try a small area and get used to how much pressure you'll to bring it back. Def not a 5 minute project...be patient and take your time.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Here is one in really good condition that sold last year for more.
https://morphyauctions.hibid.com/lot/110...t=0&cpage=2

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Go to Pat Catans or an art supply place and get a document cleaning pad. Its a little cloth pouch/pad with eraser like material inside. As you rub it on the paper, tiny bits of eraser fall out of the sack. The dirt sticks/transfers to each tiny bit of rubber like material and then you just dump the particles in the wastebasket. Works pretty good. I'd use that before I used water. They probably sell them on EBAY too.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved