Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#580008 Thu Nov 13 2014 10:56 AM
Tod Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi guys

Here is a pic of the Service station I worked at as a young man back in the 70's. I'm trying to figure out what make & model the pumps are in the photo. I would like add one of these pumps to my collection.

I know this is not the best picture but I was hoping that between what I can recall about the pumps & the image, someone could help me identify the pumps. I've searched this sight as well as the web looking for images that would help figure this out but have found very little info on pumps of this era.

The details I recall that maybe helpful clues are that I think the key lock was located on the bottom edge of the SS frame for the glass rather than at the top of the lower panel. Also, the product name (REGULAR or SUPER) was located at the bottom of the glass rather than the top.

Opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like the benett 3000 series pumps.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
pump on the right look like a Bennett 2000 series,your in luck there is one for sale on green bay,wi craigs list under farm & garden

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
That is the exact design of the Shell station I had in the mid 1970s. Only exception is that my station was the reverse, the bays were on the left side of the office. It is now a transmission repair shop.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Tod Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you guys for responding.

I did some Googling on the on both the Bennett 3000 & 2000 series. Judging from the pictures I was able to find including the one mentioned on the GB, Wis. CL ad, I don't think they can be 2000 series pumps. The 3000 series seems a little more possible but I'm not convinced of that. From what I've seen so far, A. O. Smith U-500 series, in my uneducated opinion, seem more likely. Is anyone here familiar with A. O. Smith pumps of this era?

@Jack Sim....You have a book on this subject? If so, are the A O Smith pumps covered in it?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a couple Bennetts. In my opinion they are not Bennetts. Bennetts don't taper in to the top and narrow out at the top like those pumps. In my opinion they are Bowser 482 or 48 series pumps.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Here's photos of my A.O.SMITH L-505.
L stood for Lighted advertising on top.
U stood for Unlighted.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
That is the exact design of the Shell station I had in the mid 1970s. Only exception is that my station was the reverse, the bays were on the left side of the office. It is now a transmission repair shop.

Jack Sim

The one pictured here is the exact design Shell station I worked at in 1989 in Lanham, MD.

Mike
Tod Offline OP
OP Offline
Great info guys! TY

At this point, I'm pretty sure they are not Bennetts.

@ Cold Pizza.....Thanks for posting pics of your pump, very, very nice. I didn't know about the lighted & unlighted versions. Am I correct in assuming that lighted versions like your's flare out at the top (to accommodate the light fixture) and the unlighted version tapers in at the top? If so, I'm pretty sure the pumps in the pic are A O Smith unlighted 500 series pumps.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have written two gas pump identification books, but unfortunately they are out of print. Well, they do show up on Ebay or Amazon if you want to spend $100+ for a copy of one of them. But, there is a E-book version available on Amazon. If you had one of these you could probably find you pump listed. In 1960 there was only a few companies making gas pumps: Bennett, Erie, Gilbarco, Keene, Smith, Tokheim and Wayne. Most of these pump are also shown on my website at: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gas%20pump%20literature.htm.

My second book had about 1300 gas pumps shown, the book I am presently working on will have over 2000 gas pumps shown, including A.O. Smith. Probably won't be out till spring.

This page of my website is copied from my book, this will help you with the history of over 125 companies that made gas pumps. http://petrolianacollectibles.com/company_histories.htm

Check out my website, there are over 12,000 images shown.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Nov 15 2014 08:47 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Tod Offline OP
OP Offline
@ Jack Sim

Your web site sealed the deal for me.....I am 100% sure these are A.O. Smith 500 series pumps. Thank you so much for responding to my post. Your web site has a wealth of information, I have bookmarked it for future reference. I eagerly await the release of your book in the spring & plan on purchasing.

Now...the search begins.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member

007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG
Tod Offline OP
OP Offline
@ Cold Pizza.....Rick, TY for posting these images, very, very helpful to me.

Can anyone explain the difference between a "pump" (505) and a "dispenser" (501)????

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
A "pump" has an actual pump & guts inside below,where the gasoline actually gets pumped & comes out of.
A "dispenser" resembles a pump on the outside,except it doesn't have a pump at all inside,but a series of pipes & valves instead,as it's actual pump is located far away from it as the gasoline is pumped to it to dispense only.

Tod Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
A "pump" has an actual pump & guts inside below,where the gasoline actually gets pumped & comes out of.
A "dispenser" resembles a pump on the outside,except it doesn't have a pump at all inside,but a series of pipes & valves instead,as it's actual pump is located far away from it as the gasoline is pumped to it to dispense only.

Rick
Thanks for the explanation. Am I correct in assuming that pump version or dispenser version are identical in external appearance?

Any opinions on how much I should expect to pay for a Smith 500 series if I get lucky enough to locate one?

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I've seen them bring from $50-$700 around,depending on the condition & brand of course.
Some are just bought for parts,others are done and complete & correct.
Yes,those two are externally identical.
Other then their ID tag,you'd have to remove the lower panel to notice the difference.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tod,

It sounds like you have your heart set on that specific pump (which I completely understand). But I also see you are from Ohio and there is a nice looking pump from the same time/era for sale in Milford Michigan... In case you are interested. Wouldn't want a fellow old gasser miss out on something they like.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/clt/4765853502.html

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And if you do decide to get that one in Detroit I would be willing to help with storage/transport as long as you need

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Tod Offline OP
OP Offline
Steve....Thanks for the heads-up, very much appreciated but you're right, have my heart set on a Smith 500 series. My collecting is very focused, when it comes to petroliana, I only collect signage, POS,tools & equipment I remember from my eight years working at the Shell Station.

Oilcanman87.....very gracious offer of assistance, thank you.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Might have a lead for you.
There's a guy near here who has a Quonset hut full of old pumps..I asked him specifically if he has an A.O.Smith 500 series.
He said he'll contact me if he does.The cold weather has deterred him from looking lately.

Tod Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cold Pizza
Might have a lead for you.
There's a guy near here who has a Quonset hut full of old pumps..I asked him specifically if he has an A.O.Smith 500 series.
He said he'll contact me if he does.The cold weather has deterred him from looking lately.

Cool! I'll keep my fingers crossed. LOL I was thinking it might take a while to find what I want but who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved