Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Bob, I can't speak for everyone but I know I always enjoy reading the history behind an item and images. Although I have never been a COTM host, I always contributed with images (when I could) and always looked forward to the next COTM thread. It was one of my favorite threads in the past. It's sad that it never kept flight. It's unfortunate that you feel that ALL the "younger" or newer generation of this hobby is only concerned about the $$$. I can't speak for everyone...but I for one am not. There are a few diehard Oilzum fans on this site (some of which) wern't on this site when the Oilzum COTM thread aired back in 2007, myself included. I would love to have seen this thread in it's entirety.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Are you people kidding???????????

Shawn worked his A$$ off for close to 2 years; to get the COTM going again... AND in the end only a handful of Members helped him....

When I did my COTM on Tide Water and Associated... I actually got PMs... Telling me that no one was interested in the History or the items I was sharing... That the real interest on Oldgas was what were items worth now? Not what the History was behind the items or the Companies...

Instead of waiting on others, why not just start a thread on the Company that you are interested in? But, do some research and give a History along with images of the items you have...

John, that is the problem... Too many on Oldgas... Keep waiting for "the other Guy" to do all the work... Do some research, work a little... Scott, Wayne, Jack, Craig (the poorman's museum) and a few others that are escaping my poor memory; have all written books(in some cases many books) about the Petro Hobby... In ALL CASES, one hell of a lot of research was done by them... They didn't wait, for the other guy to do it for them...

We all know that a number of Members here, have written numerous articles (you included John) on the Petro Hobby... They all have had to do more than a little research, to make those articles as complete and factual as possible...

A number of very knowledgeable Members have left Oldgas... Some because of death, some because of life's challenges, others because they didn't/don't feel that they fit in on Oldgas anymore...

Hundreds of years worth of knowledge, that used to be shared on Oldgas on a daily, weekly, monthly basis is now gone...

There are many Members on Oldgas; both "New" and "Mossback" that have knowledge to share... But, until the Membership actually proves that they are interested in the History of this Hobby, instead of what the "resale value" of items are... More and more of those with knowledge are going to drift away!

As someone that's been there, done that, I agree whole heartedly with Bob's post.
It took a very dedicated group of people to do those Pump, Sign, Globe, Quart, Container, Collectible, Company and the rest of the of the month, and of the week features we did back in the day. For the most part the people that made those features successful no longer post on here.
To do those features, and do them well (that's the key),takes a tremendous amount of time.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Here are some more photos..some already seen in the wanted section thread.. some newly aquired items. Keep em coming!

oilzum2.jpg oilzum1.jpg oil2.jpg oil3.jpg

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
more

oil4.jpg oil5.jpg oil6.jpg oil7.jpg

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
more

oil8.jpg oil9.jpg

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
more

oil10.jpg zum6.jpg zum7.jpg zum8.jpg

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow! - Eric you have a remarkable collection.

Ray

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
more

zum9.jpg zum3.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very, very nice, Eric!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Very, very nice, Eric!

Eric, I'm impressed- thanks for sharing... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Bob for sticking up for me. I tried to keep it going for as long as I could but at the end of the day if members don't contribute the threads die, and that's what was happening. Also with the birth of my son I just got real busy to be honest. As I have said from the beginning anyone who wants to host it for a month to keep cotm go for it. Bob and a handful of others stepped up and did just that. To me the history of these companies is just as important as the photos.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is a fantasy globe but it is still cool.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Thanks guys.. Matt I agree very cool globe. Been wanting to do a pump up in Oilzum.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice stuff guys. I've been away from the computer quite a bit the last couple of weeks but was just reading all the discussion on COTM and other monthly special series. I for one really looked forward to those monthly threads and really miss them when they fall by the wayside. A good example of the education we can glean from these threads is the Oilzum pump that Matt posted with the fantasy globe. I've got a few Oilzum cans but was never really into the brand that much. I didn't even realize that there was an Oilzum gasoline! I thought I had pretty much seen every pump brand but this one slipped by me. With the colors and the unique logo, an Oilzum pump restoration would be a beautiful piece. Just a simple post of an item and a short reply from a knowledgeable member can offer untold benefit to those just browsing through a thread. I will be happy to help keep the monthly series of threads going if I can and will try to contribute from my modest collection and even more meager background of knowledge on subjects that I know. Keep it up everybody!.....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OILZUM was a motor oil, There was Never OILZUM Gasoline

[img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk169/nonox8/Oilzum%20collection/OILZUM030.jpg[/img]

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved