Next Thread
Print Thread
#581762 Sun Nov 23 2014 12:22 AM
H
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
H
There is a antique shop that opened not long ago here in Ferndale Washington. A friend of mine has been selling goods there and has been the top seller in recent months. The staff said they can use more guy stuff, oil cans, signs etc.
They say items like that are flying off the shelf.
At these prices maybe I need to start bringing them my spares.
Who else here has been selling at antique malls?
I understand there are some ups and downs.

handy.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
hri_2008 #581763 Sun Nov 23 2014 12:31 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I first got into this hobby we had a spot in a local antique mall. Between the stuff that would disappear, and all the maintenance, we quit doing it.

Of course, petro wasn't that big then and if could get prices like the ones in the picture, I might change my mind.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #581765 Sun Nov 23 2014 03:12 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had a booth at an antique mall for several years. Like the one you mention the mall did not have a lot of "guy" stuff and it took a couple months before the "guys" started returning with their wives. After about a year other "guys" started selling stuff there too. The mall thanked me often for that.

I didn't have a lot of problems with stuff walking off, most of my stuff was in a glass case near the front. But maintaining a booth of quality stuff that would sell was hard at times. I had some really good months and a few bad ones to go with it.
Got to where it was becoming more effort to maintain than it was worth.
I marked my stuff to sell though. I was in it to get rid of a lot of extra stuff I had picked up over the years and if I broke even I was going to be happy. I spent time researching everything I could. That said, when you have a mall booth you are relying on the right person that wants your item to walk thru and see it. I had some stuff set for 2 years before it sold. I would also rotate stuff so my booth always looked different, pull stuff out if not selling for a while then bring it back later.

Good luck on your venture. It can be enjoyable if you have time to “work it”.

Tip on what I did. Most of the stuff I had to sell was smaller stuff. I rented a large double wide glass case. I looked a moving into a large floor space several times. Felt I did not have enough of the right kind of stuff to make a consistant profit. After about a year in that mall I got to know several other sellers. Made a deal with one to share floor space in their booth for my larger items. Wound up being a win/win for both of us.

Chuck

Last edited by Gaspedler; Sun Nov 23 2014 06:46 AM.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've been in several Malls over the years. Usually the rent is in the $100.00 a month range for booth space. When you factor in the time needed to do a weekly check/replenish trip. 4 hours minimum... The stuff that leaves on it's own without being a sale? If you read your rental contract, the Mall is not responsible for theft/loss of any kind. The fact that most Mall employees are just that. Many are clueless to antiques. It seems that watching the clock for quitting time was what they lived for? In my experience, I did best by not being involved any longer. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A booth is a good way to minimize your profits, but clear out "stockpiled" stuff. It is very difficult today to keep a booth stocked with quality merchandise and still make a profit.The antique malls are generally filled with people's personal collections when they first open(1-2 years) and after that they turn into sellers of yard sale type merchandise and arts/crafts.Every person that I have known that had good stuff pulled out after a year or so. Dave

Last edited by Catauladave; Sun Nov 23 2014 07:24 AM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a good friend that has been doing the antique mall thing for about a year now. They do very little gas and oil items but what is amazing to me is the number of those repop signs he sells, the ones you see everywhere that are like 10x18 or so. He sells dozens of those stupid things with the most popular being the oil signs. If he does happen on to oil cans or other authentic items they sell quickly.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The malls here(Columbus, GA) generally charged a monthly fee($75-$100)plus a % of your total sales. People that walk through generally don't buy big ticket items.I have known good stuff to stay in a booth for several years. If you put a couple of large pieces and place NOT FOR SALE signs on them and then fill the booth up with repos you will move stuff, but you are still stuck with that rent + %. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Save yourself the expense of money and time and use eBay. MUCH larger audience and you can work on it any time day or nite from the convenience of home. I haven't stepped in a mall in many years to shop petroliana, as anything good the dealers will put on eBay for top dollar.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
From what I hear in the Edmonton area, antique malls charge high monthly fees and other charges which have resulted in a few good petro booths closing. Some stuff still shows up.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
H
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
H
Thanks for all the quick replies. I think I will go with the second offer they made me. To sell items directly to them.

I did this before with another store with the promise to exchange what did not sell. That owner did not know petro values so I made sure she had room to profit and I suggested prices. In the end I exchanged about 30%. That 30% she returned I could always mark down and sell of my own at swap meets and flea markets.

Last edited by hri_2008; Sun Nov 23 2014 01:48 PM.
hri_2008 #581877 Sun Nov 23 2014 03:26 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The mention of the glass cabinet reminded me of something. Before we moved out of the mall we went to the cabinet selling. Filled the cabinet but nothing was really selling, but the top shelf was devoted to six very rare Beetles glasses, finally one day someone came in and purchased all six for the listed price, no discount requested. I sold them for $150.00 EACH. I think it set a mall record.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #581889 Sun Nov 23 2014 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like you left the mall on a high note, Jack! :-)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved