Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58256 Mon Nov 05 2007 02:56 PM
P
Phils Offline OP
OP Offline
P

I assume this removes air from the pumped gas. Can someone post a description (or link to a description) of how it works? I've looked back through more than a year's past posts and found little to explain the specifics of how these dang things actually work.

I'd rather not disassemble it to learn how it works. I see the larger copper tubing going down to the pump suction and a smaller tube that goes to some chamber (?) mounted above. That upper chamber has another line from the top that must be an air inlet or vent, as it's ended with a brass filter. I did notice that the original pump design has that vent pipe sucking the vapor out of the pump handle receptacle but is capped off with the brass filter. Was this an early evap attempt? Is it just capped with a filter because that makes it easier to swap the pump side panel?

Phil

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#58257 Mon Nov 05 2007 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Usually there is just a float mechanism in the air eliminator....The pipe end at the nozzle is the exit for the vapor. Most pumps were vented there or on the side...above the computer....The air eliminator allows the air to escape before entering the meter.
It is basically a chamber for the bubbles to rise in and escape the fluid rather than being extracted.
A little valve grinding compound and gasket material should be all you need. If you plan on putting gas through it get some aviation permatex to help seal gaskets. Apply, let dry and assemble.

There is a screen in the end of the pipe to keep out wasps and other stuff.The end of the tube should be attached to the nozzle spout receiver.
Joe

Usaully if the air eliminator line is capped the pump was on an above ground tank.
The reason for this is a below ground system can cavitate and allow air into the system. An above ground system is always under pressure.

That is a GILBARCO Old Stlye meter in your M&S 80
Exactly how they work is still a mystery to me , but it has someting to do with air rising in fluid. On a Tokheim pumping unit , you can run it with the top off and see the air bubbles rising from the product...the float regulates the fluid level, it is pumping through the pump and dissapates the air through the resivoir on top....how it does this without spraying everywhere is still a mystery to me. And I built them for about 15 yrs.

[This message has been edited by jkyocom (edited 11-05-2007).]

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#58258 Mon Nov 05 2007 05:13 PM
P
Phils Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the explanation Joe. That makes sense (the float arrangement, I mean). I may take apart the cylinder mounted above but I had no desire to take apart that separator assembly. I'll just blast and paint as is. And I'm not going to be pumping anything with this, but want it to look "complete" (I have the motor but still need to find the pump pulley wheel).

That IS a screen (actully brass pin filter) in the end of the pipe that should attach to the nozzle spout receiver. I can see why it's done this way.... the first time I had to replace the hose side panel, I'd have stuck a little filter on that connection rather than fight hooking it back up to the spout receiver too. Looks like it'd be a PIA to align and connect it properly, especially in cold weather.

Phil

#58259 Mon Nov 05 2007 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen brass floats iside Tokheim and Wayne units that have imploded.
The only reason I can think of for this to happen, is the pump staying in the sun all day, then when cold product and a float with hot air inside make contact with each other.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved