Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#582847 Thu Nov 27 2014 10:55 PM
OP Offline
Hello all,

I am new to this hobby but have got my first pump lined up. I have some information and photos and would ask for some knowledge on what I have.

It is a National and I believe it was labeled as a Flying A. Here are some numbers on the tag.

B-PEH - 08961 and I believe a date code of 6-53

On the bottom of the tag are the numbers 83426. I have found some photos of similar pumps but nothing with the 100+ OCTANE.

Also, is this a pump that could be changed to a different brand such as Shell or Sinclair if I wanted without hurting value. I am actually wanting to restore it as a display in my shop and have no intentions on selling it. I just would like to know some back ground information on it.

One last thing, would this pump have a globe and would it be a 13.5 inch or bigger. Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I am trying to learn as I go here

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you in advance for any help.
Tom

IMG_0871.JPG IMG_0881.JPG IMG_0882.JPG

Owner of Classic gauge and Cluster. www.classicgaugeandcluster.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
National A62. It's a porcelain pump. Use some paint stripper to get the paint off and you may have a really nice, original pump you can display as-is. They usually didn't have globes.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
“NATIONAL 62, 1948-1951.
Tokheim pump with National name, curved ad glass panels.”

Excerpt From Jack Sim's book.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the ad glass is original to the pump? Then based on Tidewater Flying A advertising, the pump was in use until approx 1960... (Tidewater used that 100+ Octane design/logo from the later part of '58 to 1960)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You are all wrong. First this pump is basically the Tokheim 300 with a different top, and the stainless trim & the ID tag says National. Tokheim acquired National, they stopped making the National pumps where the letter in the ID tag was first, then the number (example A-38). Tokheim changed the model numbers to be number first, then the letter. Take a good look at the ID tag above, this pump is a 64-B. The 64 had the 17' hose, where the 62 had a 12" and the 66 had a 14.'

Picturers of all three pumps are shown on this page http://petrolianacollectibles.com/national%2062a-64b.htm

I also suggest you get a copy of my Gas Pump ID book, but the book is out of pring and a few show up on Amazon for about $125.00. But, Amazon does sell a e-book copy of my book for less that $15.00. They quit sending me royalities a couple of years ago, so I don't make any money anymore.

I believe what you have is a porcelain pump, be carefilly with it, they chip easy. Use a good paint remover and polish the porcelain

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Nov 28 2014 02:23 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #582861 Fri Nov 28 2014 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SO, what he has is a National A62 correct?

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #582864 Fri Nov 28 2014 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sure looks like a National A62 to me.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I'm not a member of the pump police, I say it's your pump, do it like you want. I do draw the line with porcelain pumps however. I would not change this pump from Flying A unless the porcelain was completely shot. It would be a shame to destroy good porcelain to rebrand. I also wouldn't want to keep the current green and brand it Sinclair. If you get a great deal on it, I would get it and make a trade on a 700 series Bennett with the large ad glass window and brand as Sinclair or trade for a Tokheim 39 and do it up in Shell. I sure wouldn't pass on this pump if it's a good price. And even better thing to do is get this pump, clean it up and leave it like it is, and go out and buy another pump to do up in Sinclair or Shell. Two is better than one! Brady

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I beg to differ. The pump is a tokheim 39 basically except for the ad glass top. It is a national a62. The tokheim 300 platform is the basis for the national 360. Someone could have swapped out id tags at one point. It would look good with the paint stripped off to original porcelain but it is your pump and do as you please with it.

Thanks, Phil
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I would say you are right Phil about the ID tag being changed as the mounting screws do not look like factory twist rivets or screws. Can not tell from the pictures but the top looks to have the globe mounting platform on it. Have seen a lot of these ad glass top pumps in the past but only 3 or 4 of them with the globe mount platform.

P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
Good eyes Don! It does look like it has a globe blank...I've only seen one or two of those myself. Phil is 100% right on the platform...Tokheim 39...not 300.

OP Offline
I do appreciate all of the knowledge I have gained here. Yes from what I see, there is a provision on the top for a globe whether it was original or not I do not know. Secondly, I do agree that the screws holding the ID tag do not look original.

Now that I think of it, I do agree that changing brand would not be a good idea. From what I can see, the Flying A is unique to the green porcelain color.

I appreciate the advise and 99% sure I will get this pump. I will keep you all posted with future developments.

Thank you all,
Tom

Owner of Classic gauge and Cluster. www.classicgaugeandcluster.com
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Try removing the top left screw of the id plate. You may see a 64 there. I have seen a A63 which was the same pump as a 62. They may have made slight changes in the pump and then changed the production number. Richard

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I stand corrected on the 39/300 part, too much wine with that turkey.

But,

The ID tag states 64-B-PEH.
The original sales literature states 64-B Low Pump, and both pieces of sales literature I have call these pumps the "60 Series."
The Repair Parts Manual states 64.

No letter in front of the model number, that was only used before National became part of Tokheim.

The green porcelain pump is shown on this page: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/national%2062a-64b.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #583033 Fri Nov 28 2014 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Online Cool
Veteran Member
Looks like a National 64 to me. Here is mine with the original globe setup.

national64shell1.JPG national64shell4.JPG

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved