Next Thread
Print Thread
#58283 Sat Jan 03 2004 10:58 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm just curious here and I certainly don't have any "ideas brewing" regarding this, "what do you think ever became of the sheetmetal dies that were used to stamp doors skins and misc. parts on vintage gas pumps?" What little I know about stamping metal, the average sheet metal on vintage pumps came from dies that were built with a tremendous amount of craftsmanship! There's no sheet metal out there today that compares to what we see on the 1920 - 1950 pumps. Do you suppose the hundreds of dies from the many American manufacturers were turned into scrap? THANKS for any info on this topic! Sincerely Neal Dunn gpf

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#58284 Sat Jan 03 2004 11:49 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
thats a good question! i would also like to know where all these dies went!?
id like to know where the dies went for 32 ford 3 window coupe bodies also.

who knows where all the dies went? whos got em? fess up!!!!

#58285 Sat Jan 03 2004 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good question Neal. I don't know the answer. Larry Robertson might. I believe he worked for Bennett.

Who knows, maybe the dies are still around.
Original globe molds have been found and are being used for repops.
A couple of months ago a friend asked if I wanted to go in on an original mold for the big fiberglass dinosaurs that were used in front of Sinclair stations. My friend checked out the lead. It was for the 12 foot Dino! Several people had already inquired about it, including someone from Sinclair. We're pretty sure that's who got it.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 01-04-2004).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#58286 Sun Jan 04 2004 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SOMEHOW I PICTURE ALL THESE SHEET METAL DIES AND FORMS THAT BIG COMPANIES USE SOMEWHERE IN A HUGE VAULT THAT FIRE OR NATURAL DISASTER COULDN'T DESTROY. CO'S
LIKE GM, FORD OR OUR GAS PUMP
MFGRS WOULD ALL DO THIS. BUT LET'S BE REAL...THESE DIES ARE GONE...THAT'S WHAT JUNK YARDS ARE FOR. IT'S NOT LIKE WE CAN CALL MERCURY AND ASK FOR A '49 SEDAN REAR PASSENGER DOOR, OR GILBARCO AND ASK FOR THE SIDE SKINS AND A BASE FOR THE MODEL 98.
INDEED IT MAKES YOU WONDER WHERE IT ALL IS. PROBABLY MELTED DOWN AND REUSED LIKE WE DO WITH SO MUCH OF OUR STUFF THESE DAYS.

DOC @ The American Garages

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#58287 Sun Jan 04 2004 09:54 AM
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
I would think that all Pre-War dies etc. were scrapped for the War effort.

------------------
Frank

Frank
#58288 Sun Jan 04 2004 10:15 AM
Judging by all the wayne 60's that tom 2 tone has, I think that he has the dies or mold for those pumps. How about borrowing that out??????????

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#58289 Sun Jan 04 2004 01:00 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
HAAAAAAAA!!! Ryan id sure stamp you one out if i had those dies! Man that would be nice. a truck load of sheetmetal, a big press, wayne 60 dies & a quart of oil & id be makin noise all night!
that would sure be easier than scratchin & clawin & seeking & searchin out another wayne 60! then having to arm wrestle some ol farmer for it! LOL!!!!!!!

what ive never had is a 541 bennett 4 ad glass lighthouse! the metal work on those pumps looks awesome!
HOW COME I NEVER FIND THOSE?!!

#58290 Sun Jan 04 2004 01:36 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Yeah lighthouse , I mean grain-elevator we call em. always wanted one of them.
I will try to get a pic today of a press you would need if you had the dies, i think you may not realize what is involved!!

I think a lot of that stuff went in the scrap drives. Dont forget the government was really good at making citizens feel like they were reaping Major Brownie Points, by bringing in things like, that nasty JD Harley with the broken tranny, that rear ended duece coupe that was sitting around taking valuable pasture space!, that rotten old visible pump with dents on it, that old American National pedal dump truck that had rust showing!, those ugly streamlined scooter with the rusty floorboard, and those irritating Gasoline globes, just bust the glass and throw that body in the scrap.. America will be proud of you!!!

Dont forget too , that Bowser , Gilbarco , Tokheim and all them would rather sell you a new pump than sell sheetmetal for your old beater, so they made a few spares then 86'd the dies.. or is that 76'd them??

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>> dodogas,...sitting there on that stack of dies!!

#58291 Sun Jan 04 2004 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dodo - I'm sure with Gilbarco, it was 96'd them!!!

DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#58292 Sun Jan 04 2004 04:36 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Tom 2 Tone, funny you'd mention the Bennett 541's. That was the pump that brought this whole topic to my mind. Sure, I love Wayne 60's but I must confess, the 541 is in my top five of all time favorites. I currently have five Bennett 541's and would love to own five more! Everyone, thanks for the replies!! Neal Dunn gpf

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved