Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#584598 Fri Dec 05 2014 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well you all saw Randys post on the sale of this Cities Service lighter fluid can, and I can finally post the results!
I thought I had found a real gem, since I had never seen this particular oiler before and it had the right colors and logos to be a VERY early can! The sellers description and the poor photos, sucked me in like a fly in a whirlpool!
I had initially felt a little apprehension over the coloration on the can, but discarded the feelings in favor of owning the uber rare piece. I received the can today and about fell over. The green colored area of the can had been hand painted over and done very poorly. There were other areas that had been touched up, but not as sloppily as the broad green area.
There was nothing in the description about touch-ups or repaints, and I immediately requested a return and sent the seller a message as to my disappointment and dissatisfaction with the description in the sales ad! I haven't heard anything yet, but its only been a few hours since my message.
This is the part about ebay that bothers me, and also makes me thankful! I'm bothered by the fact that some deceitful scammer can put an item on ebay that is obviously meant to deceive, and suck in a bunch of experienced collectors! Heartbreaking! I'm also grateful that ebay will stand by the buyer of items that are significantly different from the sales ad! I have no doubt that I will be refunded, although it may take some time if the seller wants to fight about it. Hopefully it doesn't go that way.
I don't know this seller and I can't ever believe that they didn't realize the cans condition? I really believe this sale was meant to reel in an unexperienced buyer that wouldn't know any difference.
I'm sure the can is old, and I have no idea of value, but I just don't collect items that have been altered, and I expect to be told up front if they have.
Heres the ebay auction # 351230335836 , for those of you that want to make a note about the seller. I have attached several pictures for you to see and understand.
I'm severely disappointed!

Cities Oiler 007.JPG Cities Oiler 008.JPG Cities Oiler 009.JPG Cities Oiler 010.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
MORE PHOTOS!

Cities Oiler 003.JPG Cities Oiler 004.JPG Cities Oiler 005.JPG Cities Oiler 006.JPG

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
That's a sad deal! I have to laugh at the pics. Hope you get a refund Mr. KW.Were you out late that night? LOl

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No, I was as sober as a judge! Take a look at the actual ebay auction, and see if it wouldn't have fooled you too?

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've known some improper judges in my time Kevin. I will grant you there is some disparity between your honest pics and eBay's "reel 'em in and hook 'em" pictures. But you have eBay's guarantee to back you up. Hopefully
Thanks for posting this-everyone posts their triumphs, rarely their losses.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

RANDY
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
The description is a bunch of BS. But the pics would keep me away! Sad deal!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry Kevin. Never a good feeling when that happens. So how about a long winded inspirational talk to get your mind right?

Isn't it all the failures and let downs that actually make the big scores feel as amazing as they do? If finding big scores or even things going smoothly was the norm. All of us would lose all appreciation for how difficult and rare it is to have things go better than we expected. No matter how smart you are, how hard you work, or how long you have been doing this. You can't always win them all.

So you learn all you can and do everything in your power to hopefully make the good times out number the bad. Remembering that feeling you got the time you bought an oiler off the internet. When it arrived at your house you discover the can leaked during shipping. Something that normally would have led to this can being ruined and sent back to the seller. But, this time it reveals something you could have never expected. A gem that you would have never noticed had this seller not pooly packaged the can you bought.

I ask you. Why Not, at the end of the day, be greatful for this current problem you have encountered? After all, can one truly appreciate the happiness of success without having experienced the pain of failure?

Sorry your hot streak ended and yes, I'm completely out of my mind.

Check out my finds at Mantiquities on Facebook!!!!

facebook.com/pages/Mantiquities/167580613447712
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Kevin, even the experienced collectors stumble once in a while. I bought a Union 76 sign of ebay a while back and when it arrived it did not have the gloss as in the pictures. Embarrassed? H*** yes! It can happen to anybody. Some would not admit it. I think it is good to let others know so we can be reminded to be extra vigilant.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Kevin - Obviously you weren't the only one fooled. there were 30 bids made. In fact I had it in my watch list and bid on it myself. Got too rich for my blood. Hope all works out well for you my friend.

Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I saw that can too, it didnt look right in the picture. I sent the guy a question asking if it was a paper label, he replied back, no, it is paint. He did not say repaint or touched up or anything. I went to look at it again and by then the Big money stepped up to the plate on it. I would hope you can get your money back on it.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bbburke

I ask you. Why Not, at the end of the day, be greatful for this current problem you have encountered? After all, can one truly appreciate the happiness of success without having experienced the pain of failure?

Good point Brian--we sometimes forget that even failure has its success! Problems like this can be a pain, but if we learn from each problem in life, it can only enrich the rest of our lives! Thank you for bringing that to the front for me!

So far I haven't heard from the seller, but ebay gives him until the 11th of December to respond, and at that time, I can open a case against him. Hopefully he will respond before then. If not, it just speaks volumes about his character.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree this sucks.

I just bought two cans that I got all excited about. When I got them they had paper labels...I was disappointed. When, I went and looked at the photo's again they are clearly paper label cans. Sometimes, we only see and hear what we want to...

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I can see why you were so interested Kevin! Very cool looking can! Love the old black & green Cities stuff. Man someone sure screwed it up though. I wonder what it looked like before it was painted.
I have two oiler specific books, and this can is not in either one of them. Must be pretty rare.
I sure hope you end up getting your money back. I'm sure we'll see it on ebay again if you do. Wonder what it will go for the next time?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd be perturbed too Kevin. When there is a full refund, can you still leave feedback?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
*****!!! Hope this all goes well for you Kevin!!

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Update-- I just got a call from the seller and he has agreed to the return and a full refund on the oiler. he was very good natured about it and claimed he really hadn't seen the repaint part.
Whatever reason, he seems like a standup guy that will back up his sales.
We'll see how it goes!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that's good news, I've never had any trouble sending something back... cool

RANDY
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard