Next Thread
Print Thread
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have recently acquired a couple of Gilbarco 96s. They are both tall pumps but they are different heights. One pump still had the ID tag on it and it was a 96B. The other 96 was missing the tag so I'm not sure what series it is.
It looks like the difference is in the bases. One base measures 5 1/2" tall and the other is 7 3/4".
I thought a tall base was a tall base for the Gilbarco 96s. Shows you what I know. Why the difference in the bases?
I bought one of these pumps as a parts pump and I have noticed a few things different. One of the things I wanted was the side panel. One pump has louvers stamped in the side and the other one does not.
I didnt pay much for the pump but it is a good learning experience to have the two to compare.
Thanks for any insight you may have on this.

Mike

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
96 introduced in 1938.
96B introduced in 1940.
Different pumps, 96 sight glass was in the face.
96B sightglass was above the face.
Plus a number of differences including the height of the pump.
Remember, the automobile industry affected the height of a given gas pumps. As the cars got lower, the pumps got shorter. How many of you remember the old Hudsons that were advertised that you stepped down into them.
Some gas pump historians have stated various reasons for the pumps getting shorter, much of which is untrue. I have gas pump literature from pump companies that state they have lowered the height of their pumps because the new cars are now lower.

Pictures of your 96 & 96B found here: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gilbarco%2096.htm

Your pumps are also shown on pages 164 and 166 of my gas pump ID book.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Dec 18 2014 12:35 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
1 member likes this: Yellowzebra
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jack, Thanks for your input on the bases. Here is a couple of pics of what I'm working with. Thanks.

Mike

gilbarco 006.JPG oldgas 001.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Mike,
Just a reminder, I still have that 96 side panel and base for sale if your interested. It's posted under the for sale forum (posted November 24th).
Thanks, Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
do you still have a base for sale

mona mike
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
i couldn’t find the base gilbarco 96 listed on 24 nov for sale,you still have a basethanks

mona mike
This post is from almost 10 years ago.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved