Next Thread
Print Thread
#587446 Sat Dec 20 2014 08:54 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Ive got an old visible im putting back together and am leaving it all rusty. Problem is it needs new cylinder rods as mine twisted off and I can make new ones but how do I make them look REAL old with out waiting for mother time. A simple acid bath with muratic acid doesn't do the trick? Any new tricks for an old dog?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
gasgeezer #587449 Sat Dec 20 2014 09:54 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
There is an Acid...I do mine the old fashioned way...Burn it. I put my truck tailgate in a fire for about an hour then sprayed it will salty water when removed...Rusted instantly and is still looking awesome. Not a great idea for thin metal though....

Man Cave #587453 Sat Dec 20 2014 10:24 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Do a search on Youtube. I have found a few clips on this subject and how to do it. Some are corny and others have useful info. You just have to weed through them and gather your on ideas and try them.

Mike

tbert1 #587463 Sat Dec 20 2014 11:31 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Jesse James actually mentions the type of acid in a video where he is working on some dumb el camino for the Machete movie...I just dont remember the name. Its what he uses on his bikes and its easily neutralized...not that it matters but some that people try on rat rods really are not neutralized by water and they continue to rot right through their panels...Awesome one day...Swiss cheese the next.

Man Cave #587480 Sat Dec 20 2014 12:48 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
You could also list what type of pump it is and see if anyone has an original set you can use

SKomatinsky #587483 Sat Dec 20 2014 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have relatives that have a craft business . They make lots of old furniture and crafty things from old doors ,windows and some things from metal. Lots of the furniture is brushed with a dark flat black paint . Once it's dried they simply sand and buff the edges with a light sand paper and it gives a nice weather worn look. In your case I would try some trunk finish paint that gives it a ripple and rough sand paint look , perhaps in a dark brown , chip some of it maybe in places ,sand it here and there in spots and add the vinegar and salt spray and see what you can create. But I know what you are referring to , smooth new mild steel cold roll steel rods with surface rust stick out like a sore thumb and just don't look right when trying to match the rest of something with years of exposure and weather.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
47reo-travis #587594 Sun Dec 21 2014 02:09 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
I never thought of the burning idea and that sounds great especially with some acid applied afterword. think I will try that first. thanx for all the help guys.......Les

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved