Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jwood7 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I just got this yesterday. It is a very neat piece looks 3d and like the sky is moving in the photo when you move. I noticed that the Ford part at the top has been altered from saying Ford Champion but I believe it was done in the factory. The reason I say this is that when you run your fingers over the area you can feel nothing. The only time you would ever notice that it has been tampered with is if you take it and old it to the light from the other side. Is there a reason the factory would do this? Does anyone have one to compare?

ford spark plug.jpg ford champion glass.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Possibly they and some left over display pieces, and used them later, only altering them to fit current advertising. The whole thing looks like it dates to the 30s-40s.No earlier given the design of the plug.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great counter top Ford Display!!!
Just a guess but Probably was changed around 1960 when Ford acquired Autolite.?? and my guess would be that it's from the 40s but those are just guesses.
I cant tell from the pic but does it still have "Champion" on the spark plug?
Again, that is a very cool piece!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
jwood7 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Dave it does still say Champion on it. I was talking with someone and they said the same thing about possibly Champion and Ford not using their brand anymore which makes a lot of sense. I would imagine these were not cheap to make and it was more affordable to just have them to alter it then make a new one.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
SO JEALOUS!!!!! If you ever think of selling it please let me know, I'd be interested! One was listed on eBay recently and looked the same as yours, but it was pulled off early though, as someone must have gotten lucky with a private e-mailed offer. Bob Drake has one on his website and he dates it at 1951. You'll also notice on his site the Champion produced, Ford branded Spark Plug Cleaner posted next to the sign with the same style "Ford" script on it from the same era. I do know Ford did sell "Ford-Champion" co-branded spark plugs and then later Champion supplied "Ford" branded spark plugs until the purchase of "Autolite" in 1961.

https://www.bobdrake.com/Categories8.aspx?Id=8c13074d-72d3-4339-8df0-cf4c4e05318f

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I just checked my files, the one that was on eBay recently had the altered "Ford" logo as well. Wish I could add a pic, but I can't get it to re-size right

jwood7 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Robert what was the hyperlink I did not see this at all. Wish I had seen it.

Last edited by jwood7; Sat Dec 20 2014 10:10 PM.
Killer sign. Just like Robert 77, if you ever want to sell it let us know. Until then....Enjoy it!

jwood7 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks a lot. It is going in my collection. Once I get it rewired I will post a photo of it in the photo album in my spark plug corner. The picture before was just taking by using a different light to light it the cord is toast.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I searched for the eBay auction one last night in completed auctions, but couldn't find it. I tried to resize the copy of the picture I had saved from eBay, but it's still to large to post. If you PM me your email address, I'll direct e-mail you the photo that I have.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved