Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Hud Oil
I had a very experience fellow with the last name of Elza sell me fisk tire sign in Columbus a few years ago and told me it was real, and found later that it wasn't and asked for money back and it never happened, wouldn't even return my emails, so you really never know who the good guys are???
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't comment on whether or not the seller involved is a good guy or not because I don't know the details of the transaction, but when a collector with the knowledge and experience of Wendell can be fooled by a fake it shows that it's not as simple to spot the fakes as some think.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke
I can see this turn on the tread causing more problems than it solves...

So it's ok to publicly call out an auction company for an inaccurate description for something they haven't even sold yet (and appears they will remedy the description now that they've been made aware of the problem), but it's not ok to call out people for selling fakes as originals in private deals?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

I wonder what it would be like with everyone from oldgas/this thread in a room with name tags on at this auction ? LMAO Where is Mark Gulf???? on all this ? I'd love to hear his opinion on this piece.

On another note Why does no body say anything about one, yes one photo on items that go hundreds, thousands of dollars.

Doug

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Wes, I think Maxgas was agreeing with you and Shawn, and was calling the people that don't care about authenticity crows.

YES I WAS. Nothing wrong but was mentioned earlier in this or another post about how it is looked down on on this site. It's not for me (Fake,punched,or drilled fantasy pieces) but I would say there is a larger majority of non-authentic collectors that coincides with the automobile and Hot Rod market then all of us combined.

Last edited by Maxgas; Sat Dec 20 2014 11:13 AM.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: blacktee

I wonder what it would be like with everyone from oldgas/this thread in a room with name tags on at this auction ? LMAO Where is Mark Gulf???? on all this ? I'd love to hear his opinion on this piece.

On another note Why does no body say anything about one, yes one photo on items that go hundreds, thousands of dollars.

Doug

...I would have posted before, but y'all were having so much fun without me...and I thought the matter had pretty much been settled...

...the Gulf sign in that frame is as fake, as the day is long...it was obvious to me at first blush...maybe the frame is old (maybe an ice cream sign in a past life?) but the fonts used on that sign are WAY off (typeset using a computer)...the Gulf logo is laughable...it's obvious to me that whoever did the artwork for this sign has a very poor grasp of design...

...hmmm...how does one get a job vetting items for the big auction houses, anyway? I could always use some side-work...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
how does one get to be a Qualified and Certified expert in the field ?

Wes.......
Interesting thread. I originally got into car collecting 25 years ago and have slowly migrated also into memorabilia. I have both bought and sold at RM, Gooding, Mecum and Barrett-jackson. They all do a first class job of running an auction. I usually consign cars to the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction and go to buy at their Palm Beach sale. I've talked to Roy numerous times and he does a first class job. Extremely professional.

After reading this thread I think it's laughable that there are guys who've never been to these auctions yet try to hurl stones. The problem with the internet is it empowers too many people who become self appointed experts. Until you've actually been to any of these auctions and participated I really don't think you have any reason for input. Just my two cents.

And it's ironic that the young buck "a self appointed expert" who decided to hurl the stones was involved in selling a fake to a fellow collector and then never had the courtesy or morals to do the right thing. Now that is funny.

Everyone in the car world is excited for this auction.

Last edited by oiljobber; Mon Dec 22 2014 08:37 AM.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
how does one get to be a Qualified and Certified expert in the field ?

It's only open to U.S. Residents.

Qualified Experts ? I have seen most make big mistakes Wes. I would say the group at oldgas.com does a pretty good job on most items. Then it's up to you to decide.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oiljobber
Until you've actually been to any of these auctions and participated I really don't think you have any reason for input. Just my two cents.

I agree with most of what you said, BUT when you made this quote it sounds like you meant if you don't have the means to attend one of these auctions you don't have a reason for input? I totally disagree as collectors we all have a right to a opinion be it right or wrong and if anyone here does spot a reproduction or questionable sign it just helps all in the long run.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
ha,ha,ha,,, my question was meant to be taken with a grin Doug,, if you know what I mean ?
I've been in the gas and oil collectibles since the late 80's and in the industry since the 60's and I consider myself a very long way from an expert.. just a guy with some knowledge on the subject.. and always learning

Wes.......
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
James Ryan writes:

After reading this thread I think it's laughable that there are guys who've never been to these auctions yet try to hurl stones. The problem with the internet is it empowers too many people who become self appointed experts. Until you've actually been to any of these auctions and participated I really don't think you have any reason for input. Just my two cents.

WOW James Ryan !!! So it's open to internet bidding but these people have no right voicing their opinions ? What is really laughable is the amount auction houses charge both the seller and buyer and using a 10 word descriptions and one photo for describing items that are worth thousands of dollars.

Last edited by blacktee; Mon Dec 22 2014 09:49 AM.
Texacokie...
I see how you might have taken that. People get the wrong impression about the big time auctions...you don't have to have money to participate. All of these companies also auction off $8,000 to $20,000 cars too...you just don't see them on television. It does take money..to participate during Prime Time cars but that's a whole different world.
I see these same comments on the car blogs regarding these same auction houses. And usually the people hurling the stones have never been and will never participate. It's their form of empowerment. Gooding and Company is probably the leader in the field..and they just sold a Ferrari for 17 Million at Pebble. And you should see all the stones hurled at that company. Guys who weren't there, who never will attend and have no experience in the auction world were blogging that the car didn't sell, that it was a fake, etc. And it was all baloney. What my grandson would describe as "haters".
Through my experience the thing to do if you see something listed in an auction that you feel is an inaccurate..call the auctioneer up.
But no...all levels of collectors attend these auctions and there are great buys. Not every car goes high (which I have found out as a consignor..that's another story).

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know one thing I have been to these auctions and the advice I would give is don't bid online just looking at the pictures. These cars and gas and oil items need to be seen and touched in person before bidding and then sometimes you can still get stung.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I have been to many auctions over the years. A lot were estate sales and farm auctions. I have been to the Barrett Jackson Auction in Scottsdale eight times. As with all auctions, it is most important to see the item and decide for your self what it is worth to you. I would never bid online at these auctions. Too costly and online is no fun. Until you participate in the auction arena, you are missing a whole lot of life! I should say that at every auction, in which there were signs, advertising and other collectables, there is usually a piece or two, that is questionable. If you listen to the opening announcements of any auction company, they address this issue, as best they can? Some things can and will fall through the cracks, on occasion. Rest assured that repeatable auction houses work very hard to eliminate any errors. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Tue Dec 23 2014 04:04 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good job by everyone on old gas for their opinions . I find you all have input that counts . I have been collecting since I was 13 or younger . Clerked at auctions all around my area of Ontario when I was 13 (in the 70's) and up as a clerk . When you actually collected the money from people . No numbers . I am now older than I would like to be . But I appreciate everyones input , especially on the USA items I am not as familiar with . Have made friends on here from Canada to California . As with anything in life " HAVING AN OPEN MIND " will determine how much we learn .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved