Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#587958 Mon Dec 22 2014 05:10 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I found a sign that is shaped like a 4 leaf clover that says " good luck gasoline". I can't find much info on it other the a station in Texas that links to texaco's website. If you follow the link the texaco website says nothing about the good luck oil company. Here is where the story gets good and the texaco thing makes at little sense. I work for marathon , the bulk facility I work at used to be the tresler comet bulk facility , next door there was a texaco facility, Ashland bought out tresler comet and bought the texaco facility next door. So now marathon owns all of this, and operates it as one facility. We were doing a major water line project and had to dig a massive hole to bore under the rail road. As they were back filling the bore pit we found the good luck gas sign. The area where we were digging was the old texaco facility. It almost went unnoticed. Thankfully, one of my coworkers told me about it, I ran down and snatched it up. There you have it, the interesting story of my first sign. If anybody has seen the sign I described or had any info on good luck oil company, I would appreciate it. The sign is rough, but not as bad as you would think, I'll try and get pictures up. Thanks guys!

Always looking for tresler comet, vintage marathon and vintage Ashland oil items. Big or small
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Google 'GLOCO'...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #587995 Mon Dec 22 2014 07:27 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good Luck was the brand used by Ohio River Refining, based in Cincinnati and operating in the 1930s. I believe that some parts of their operation ended up being sold out to Tresler in the postwar era. The company is not tied to the Dallas based Good Luck Oil in any way that we know of, but was rather a short-lived Cincinnati independent. For a photo of a Good Luck station, see page 265 of my book, One Hundred Years of Gas Stations. Globes are pictured in our Gas Pump Globes 2012 e-book.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story, looking forward to seeing the sign.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Matchcover from a Hamilton, Ohio station

Dave

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
What are the dimensions of the sign? And I assume it is a die-cut sign in the shape of a clover, but is it porcelain or painted steel?

T
OP Offline
T
I'm not sure about the dimensions yet, I haven't really measured it, I would guess it's 3ft tall maybe 4ft. It is double sided, green with yellow letters. After the holidays I'll try to get some pictures up

Always looking for tresler comet, vintage marathon and vintage Ashland oil items. Big or small
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #588348 Wed Dec 24 2014 08:12 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good Luck, but from the Texas operation, not the Ohio one talked of here...

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I know where there is a good luck double sided cincinnati sign is been in best friends family since the station closed down.. don't see hardly any of the good luck cincinnati signs

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved