Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#588218 Tue Dec 23 2014 09:48 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Does anyone have any pictures of what gas stations would have used old either cast iron or just fluted column to display the gas globe or a sign? I have some and would like to know what companies used them.
Thanks

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Powerine did...

Last edited by powerlube; Tue Dec 23 2014 09:54 PM.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the gobe was replaced with a powering globe in another picture I have somewhere.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is one with a powerlube globe

Scott Wright
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Craig,

Oil companies did not make fluted columns, Revere and others made the columns, the oil companies/local distributors/mom & pop stations decided what to use the columns for.

As a contributor of information here on OG for years I have seen many questions like yours. The inquiry appears that you and others feel that everything back in the day was regimented, it was not. Very few stations were owned by the same operator for years on end. The life of a lease was only a few years, then the station changed hands. Poles, signs you name it were put up, torn down on a regular basis, just having a picture of a station from the 30s, does not mean that this was what the station looked like the next year.
How about the 40s? I have a picture of a station that had a big sign out front "NO GAS." Guess what they were doing to make a living, renting bicycles.
Not every station was built by the oil company that was selling products out of it.
Remember what we are always telling the new pump restorers, it is your pump, restore it any way you want. This is the same answer that should be given for your question.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think it's accurate to say that globes were never specified by any oil company.
Wadhams had a globe specifically for light posts.
Sinclair also had a few globes that were specifically for light posts. Those are technically light post globes, not gas pump globes, but I've also seen pics of Sinclair, Shell, and Esso gas pump globes mounted on columns or light posts. I'm sure there are others as well.

Esso and Amoco used signs that had globes or globe lenses mounted in them.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wonder what the story is with the Parco globe on a pump beside the pump with the Powerine globe? Parco was Producers and Refiners Company out of Parco Wyoming if I recall. When Parco was bought out by Sinclair, they renamed the town Sinclair Wyoming. I passed through there once on a road trip with my dad, brother and nephew on the way to Colorado to pick up a couple Tripple Check signs. At that time, they still had a refinery and a small display of some old Sincliar signs. I have a fluted pole with the word Sinclair in raised letters on the base that came from the Jackie Knott collection a few years ago. Will have to see if I can find a picture of it.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes, I was wondering the same thing about the Parco pump. Ever since I found my Parco ope globe I've been trying to dig up pictures and info on the company and what pumps they used to maybe do a restoration of a visible using my globe. Most pictures I've found showed the company using variations of Hayes pumps but the pump in this pic is not a Hayes, anyone know what it is off hand? I'd like to spend a day around Sinclair (Parco) Wyoming some time and see if I could find anything on the company. Also, that rack (dispenser maybe?) in between those pumps is killer looks sorta like a BOE or similar.....GB

Sorry to hijack your thread, Craig!

Last edited by Rabbitman; Wed Dec 24 2014 08:32 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like what you've just talked about. Imagine a town changing its name over a brand change. Was it a one horse, sorry one station town? That oil rack does look unique.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Actually yes it is a one station town but it wasn't around back when Sinclair acquired the refinery which it's done twice (it was once sold to ARCO in 1969, Sinclair bought it again in 1976) the station is really a truck stop just east of the town and there isn't a operating gas station in town now or any remnants of one that I could find.
There is a population of around 450 most work at the refinery as there isn't much else but a small family diner a bar and a museum to visit most travel to Rawlins about 10 minutes west of the refinery for their needs.
It's a interesting little place to stop by if you have the chance I was just there in September and took a few pic's of the refinery.

Sorry not trying to "hijack" the thread just give a little info...

Last edited by Let er' Buck; Wed Dec 24 2014 07:12 PM.

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great Sinclair pictures!!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sinclair, Wyoming was a company owned town. When the refinery changed ownership so did the town. I'm not sure but I think the residents now own their homes. My best friend's dad was the manager of the company grocery store there in the early fifties. Mitch

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I did quite a bit of research on Parco a couple of years ago but really didn't come up with a lot of info. I found a few pictures on the net of old Parco and a few after it changed to Sinclair. I thought maybe the museum there might have more details but I've never got there yet. I think it's interesting to note that the refinery is still in operation on the same site after almost 100 years. Nowadays with all the talk about using up all the oil and how we have to find alternate energy because we're going to run out of fossil fuel it's also interesting that there is still oil there in the same general location, enough to sustain a large refinery for that long. Not to say the oil won't run out someday, just sayin.......GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's one of the many ads I've found on them (PARCO). I'll post more later today, or when I get a chance...

Jan. 16, 1926...

Last edited by GILMORE; Thu Dec 25 2014 10:24 AM.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great ad! Shows powerines bearcat and parco. Powerine resold Parco's gas at all their stations during the war. Parco's refinerery was (financed I believe) along I 80 to supply gas and oil for the war effort. The U.S. government had also huge munitions depots in Sidney Nebraska. They look like giant prairie dog mounds for miles around. It's amazing what the U.S. government did in Wyoming and NE to be the supply lines to fight the war with the Jappannese. I bet tankers full of Parco gas was used for powering planes and boats during those years.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is interesting stuff. If it weren't for Craig's initial post and its subsequent digression I wouldn't have known didley about Parco. Not normally a company you would go to Wikipedia for. I like the suggestion in the advert to mix the hi-test with the lo-test as a 50:50 mix. I have never done that as the premium blends were always too expensive and the process too complex (not the pouring of gas, but paying for it!!) to bother and the Blender pumps never made it up to my neck of the woods.
Just as an aside there are munition/giant gopher mounds are now in western Utah's desert. From 10K feet they look like an organized ground hog colony.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As a sidenote most of the oil the Sinclair plant uses is pipelined in from as far away as Canada some from Utah as well as Wyoming it's what's know as a "high conversion refinery" allowing for the use of different grades of crude oil to produce it's products.
Wyoming currently produces more natural gas than oil coming in at about 2.25 trillion cubic feet of natural gas with oil coming in at around 63 million barrels statewide according to the 2013 Wyoming State Geological survey.
Most of the places I worked when I was working the fields were for natural gas such as the Jonah Field, Green River basin and Windriver basin but with the increase in fracking technology it's expected that oil production will outpace natural gas by 2019.

Also at the UPRR we use diesel from the Sinclair plant to refuel our trains in Rawlins as it's the cheapest for our operations with a direct pipeline to the refinery if you ever pass through you will see multiple trains stopped or waiting outside of town for their turn at our "fueling station" we use other locations to get trains filled to a level that allows for them to make it to Rawlins for a full load of fuel just for the cost savings I mean think what it cost's to fill a truck now imagine filling a 5500 gallon locomotive tank a few cent's adds up to millions quickly and last I heard the UPRR is the largest consumer of diesel next to the US military.

More food for thought....

Bob.

Last edited by Let er' Buck; Thu Dec 25 2014 01:45 PM.

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for all the highly informative posts. This is the reason I joined here a few years ago-to learn. I grew up in the South in an era when the party line telephone was high tech and many did not even have those, so, I've had a lifetime supply of old women yacking and snipping.

I hope you have all had a Merry Christmas and that some had the opportunity, as a friend of mine said, to BE Christmas.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice info here...

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think this link was posted a couple of years ago when we had a similar discussion on Parco and Sinclair but I will post it again for those who weren't in on that one. I also have a link somewhere to a picture of a Parco station with a pair of pumps that we could never identify for sure (even DB was stumped). They look like a Hayes in shape but were different than those we had seen before. Both have the Parco ope globe up top. I'll see if I can find it and post it too. Interesting info.....GB

http://www.wyomingtalesandtrails.com/lincoln3a.html

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here us the link to the Parco station.

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu:8180/luna/servlet/detail/uwydbuwy~17~17~1350109~228878:Parco-garage,-Parco,-WY

Last edited by Rabbitman; Thu Dec 25 2014 07:31 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! Check out this picture I ran on to while looking for more Parco/Sinclair stuff.
If you are interested in this subject go to this link and click on the menu box at the bottom of the picture. It will take you to the university of Wyoming website that has archives of old Wyoming historical data and pictures. Maybe one of you can figure out how to get open access to this site where you can copy and save some of the great photos they have archived. I would've just posted this picture but I can't seem to copy and save images from the site. I haven't tried it on my desktop, I'm just browsing on my iPad so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, check out the Erie 50's on the ends of the islands. This picture is such good quality you can zoom in on all the signs for a clear look.

digitalcollections.uwyo.edu:8180/luna/servlet/detail/ahc-ludwig~1~1~310851~170235:King-s-Cool-Co--Filling-Station,-19?sort=RID%2CDescription%2CTitle%2CDate_Original

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did you notice the neon tubing on the columns and on the gable end?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Man those are some great pictures! Love the one with the air meters, Powerlube curb sign, and mobileoil rack.

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Yes, and the question about the globes on columns just goes on.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Craig, there were some columns in some of the pictures on the Wyoming site that had globe lights on them but not actual gas globes. I bet that they were still the same bases and could have been used for either type globe. I'm still looking through a bunch of other pictures and keep thinking I will see a column pole with a globe on top instead of just a plain white light globe. That last picture with the Sinclair pumps had globes mounted on the roof cables of the building on pedestals....GB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved