Print Thread
#58891 Sat Oct 15 2005 11:58 AM
B
BLange Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I've been on this site for a few day's now, reading and replying to some of the questions and shop talk. I'm getting hooked on the site almost as much as I'm hooked on the gas pumps themselfs.

I have a question about the Tokheim 850. I've looked at old pictures of them and I've seen them at shows restored and unrestored. The question is this, why is the nozzel holder and off on switch somtimes on the same side of the pump as the visi-gauge and sometimes it's on the other side of the pump? Is it an age thing in production, or did it just not mater during production. I have a 850 and the nozzel holder and visi-gauge are on the same side.

Sorry if this topic has allready been covered in the past.

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#58892 Sat Oct 15 2005 01:12 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
WELCOME Brian to the best bunch of gas/oil collectors on the web! Glad you're posting. My 850 Tokheim has the nozzle hanger, off/on lever and sight glass all on the same side like yours. Didn't know some might be different. I guess it was real handy when we used ours on the farm to hang the nozzle, which had a hook on it, on the on/off lever so we could remove nozzle, push up on the on/off switch with the nozzle. This made a one-handed, quick operation. All pumps wouldn't pump unless sight glass filled up, so that was the next thing to look for. Since it was on the same side, you didn't have to look to the other side to see if the prime had been lost because of vapor locking or if the underground tank was empty. I believe this was one of the best designed pumps for its day outside of the vapor locking. When this happened you took the skin off and fetched a pail of cool water to pour on the plumbing. I've seen a lot of these 850's with holes drilled in the upper part of the skin to let the heat out which probably helped. These holes may have been a "factory" add on for the later models. Mine is a 1935, I've been told.
Hope this helps and again:
Welcome aboard!
Rod

------------------

#58893 Sat Oct 15 2005 07:59 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Brian, welcome to Old Gas what a coincidence I was talking with a customer this week that I just restored an Tok 850 for and he wanted the vis a gauge on the opposite side than I had it on. Showed me old original pictures of it going both ways. Good question and I also would like to know why they are coming out on different sides from pump to pump.

#58894 Sun Oct 16 2005 02:34 PM
B
BLange Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
In the Jack Sims Gas Pumps book, the picture on the Tokheim 850 round version pump has the sight glass, on/off switch, and nozzel hanger all on the same side. The picture of the square version has sight glass on one side and the nozzel hanger and on/off switch on the other.

I've seen old pictures of the 850 round versions both ways. I guess you just restore your 850 how ever you found it. But I still wonder why?

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#58895 Mon Oct 17 2005 04:18 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
My 2 round ones are on opp. sides , my 2 square ones are on same sides. maybe the service station owners ordered them the way they wanted them to better fit their island layout, just a guess................Ron

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved