Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#590349 Sun Jan 04 2015 04:14 PM
B
OP Offline
B
As a picker, I recently acquired 2 really cool lamps, I believe that they are island lights, they are porcelain and were designed to mount on a pole. I was wondering if there was a way to identify what kind of service station that they may have come from? Or were things like lights dependent on local suppliers? I have seen people on eBay advertising specific oil company lamps like "Texaco" I didn't know if they are actually identifiable, or if they were just "keywording" to get more views for their auctions.
Thanks in advance. (I thought I had posted this message but I did not see it so I posted it again, hopefully it doesn't show up twice, my apologies if it does)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Old-Gas. First rule, post a photo to help us out to help you.

And the question I have is why do you call yourself a Picker?

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
If you post a pic, someone might be able to help you identify them. Do you see the words "Stonco" or "Revere" on them?

Jeff
Mike M. #590354 Sun Jan 04 2015 04:45 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: Mike M.

And the question I have is why do you call yourself a Picker?

Who Cares ??? LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Because, it's not polite to call someone else a picker.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Service station lights changed over the years. Many were updated, many were just replaced. It all depended on who owned the station.
Mon & Pop would probably keep the same lighting for years, where a oil company might redesign a station including new lighting.
Take a look at the picture I posted about two weeks ago. There is a pole with no light on it, the light was taken down when Conoco went with pump lights around 1938.

(Would someone please post the address of that picture, I don't know how to do it.)

I have a catalog on just about every light that was used in a service station, but as someone posted above, we need a picture.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage

We are ALL pickers to some degree or another!!!!
You guys crack on pickers then buy their signs every chance possible! Such Hypocracy on this site towards pickers!
Welcome to oldgas and dont mind the veterans continuing this problem because there is NOTHING wrong with being a picker! Go find a rare sign and then watch them eat their words!
Alot of these guys are closet pickers!!!!!!!LOL They pretend like they are collecting sweney or texaco and buy up everything they can get their hands on for resale!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As long as it isn't a nose picker, lol. I think most of us buy anything we can find that we feel is underpriced either to resale or trade for something we want for our collections. U gotta support that bad habit somehow.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom, you have read too much into my post. It wasn't negative at all. The hobby is big enough to sustain us all. I couldn't agree more with you when you state that to some degree or another we are all pickers.

In any group, the actions of a very small minority taints the entire group. Unfortunately, this holds very true for pickers. It's human nature to take note of the one bad apple and somehow overlook the contents of the rest of the basket.

I also concur with your observations about the closet pickers. Wolfs in sheep's clothing....guys pretending it's all about the history and this and that while they are lining their pockets. Even willing to sell the odd repop.

In general a collector will pay what he has to for the pleasure and reward of ownership. It is this weakness that pickers exploit, their so called profit comes out of the pockets of collectors. Personally, I prefer to find my own pieces. Pickers are of little utility to me in this regard. Sometimes ordinary pieces become great pieces in our collections because of the hunt or the challenges of obtaining it for our collection...makes for a much better story then, "I bought it from a picker and they doubled up on it at my expense".

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Mon Jan 05 2015 10:24 AM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
B
OP Offline
B
WOW! Now that's what I call a warm welcome!!! Well I can tell you that despite the negative comments I am not ashamed of being a Picker, it is what I do for a living and I love it. It is always an adventure, because you never know what you are going to find. Also I get to work at home and have lots of time with my family. A lot of collectors of all different kinds of items that I sell are very glad that there are people out there digging through the barns, flea markets, antique malls, and auction to unearth that treasure that they may need for their collection. Every profession on earth is based on buying and selling. I had no idea that people hated pickers like that. I guess you learn something everyday.

Someone mentioned people pretending to be collectors when they are really out to make a profit. That is the reason I mentioned that I am a picker, no false pretenses here. I bought the lights to sell the lights, hopefully to a collector who will appreciate and be glad to have them.

Anyway. The lights are Revere, green porcelain. I'll put up a pic when I get the chance, I just "picked" them up last night.

Thanks guys.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage

We are ALL pickers to some degree or another!!!!
You guys crack on pickers then buy their signs every chance possible! Such Hypocracy on this site towards pickers!
Welcome to oldgas and dont mind the veterans continuing this problem because there is NOTHING wrong with being a picker! Go find a rare sign and then watch them eat their words!
Alot of these guys are closet pickers!!!!!!!LOL They pretend like they are collecting sweney or texaco and buy up everything they can get their hands on for resale!

Agree 100%, I've been saying some of the same things for a while now.

S
S
where did you see the marking for revere? thanks

B
OP Offline
B
Here are the Pics. The Diameter of the shade is: 20". The inside diameter of the mount is 2 1/2", From the bottom of the shade to the top of the ball on top, is approx. 14". Thanks

IMAG0583.jpg
Revere Lamp

IMAG0584.jpg
Revere Lamp

IMAG0585.jpg
Revere Lamp

B
OP Offline
B
Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun